Professional Web Applications Themes

menu drop over frame - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Without wanting to use third party software like so-dhtml etc, how would i go about getting a drop down menu in a top frame, to drop over the main page below? I tried this long ago using dreamweaver 4, now with 8 i am hoping its become simpler, but im still not managing it! Menu is created fine using the behaviours and works in a standard page, but add a frame and it all goes wrong. Any help would be much appreciated...

  1. #1

    Default menu drop over frame

    Without wanting to use third party software like so-dhtml etc, how would i go
    about getting a drop down menu in a top frame, to drop over the main page below?

    I tried this long ago using dreamweaver 4, now with 8 i am hoping its become
    simpler, but im still not managing it!

    Menu is created fine using the behaviours and works in a standard page, but
    add a frame and it all goes wrong.

    Any help would be much appreciated

    schooleydoo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: menu drop over frame

    There is no practical way to make a layer (that's how drop-down menus work)
    cross the boundary between two separate frames (i.e., two unique HTML
    pages).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames.....
    8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "schooleydoo" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Without wanting to use third party software like so-dhtml etc, how would i
    > go
    > about getting a drop down menu in a top frame, to drop over the main page
    > below?
    >
    > I tried this long ago using dreamweaver 4, now with 8 i am hoping its
    > become
    > simpler, but im still not managing it!
    >
    > Menu is created fine using the behaviours and works in a standard page,
    > but
    > add a frame and it all goes wrong.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    thanks for the reply murray, i have a mernu on each page at the mo, and it
    takes forever to change minor things, especially with the iffy find and
    replace. Also had a go using iframes but it just got too complicated for a
    simple menu.

    Just thought dreamweaver may have got around it by now, seen a couple of
    examples on forums a few months back of cross frame menu's.

    Considering moving to a host that allows php, seems the simplest option.

    schooleydoo Guest

  4. #4

    > Just thought dreamweaver may have got around it by now, seen a couple of
    > examples on forums a few months back of cross frame menu's.
    You just thought they were. They weren't. There is not a practical
    solution. The limitation is not DW's but HTML's. Lodge your complaints
    with [url]http://www.w3.org[/url]. 8)
    > i have a mernu on each page at the mo, and it
    > takes forever to change minor things, especially with the iffy find and
    > replace.
    "iffy find and replace"?

    Why not put the menu into a server-side include and be done with all this
    thrashing?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  5. #5

    Hi, Schooleydoo & Murray.

    I notice that SoThink seems to have cross-frame referencing to overcome this
    problem ([url]http://www.sothink.com/product/dhtmlmenu/feature.htm[/url]), not that I'm
    otherwise such a huge fan of desktop widget-editing for menu creation.

    webspinster Guest

  6. #6

    SoThink's method adds even more weight to the page. I just cannot recommend
    the use of any of these all-javascript menus.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  7. #7

    Hi, Murray.

    Yeah, that and hiermenus seem to have huge page loads.

    I feel that PVII's extensions/behaviors are problematic for sites using SSI's,
    though. According to their tutorial, the autoHide behavior is triggered from
    the page body onLoad event (where you specifically name the layers). Obviously
    this isn't a viable route for self-contained menu include files. I've posted
    to the PVII forums asking whether there was a proven workaround for this; if I
    don't hear back, I'll just start testing other event triggers self-contained
    within an include menu file.

    I know their fully supported Menu Magic program is geared toward SSI's, but
    the extension behaviors don't seem to be SSI friendly without tweaking.

    Just looking for a good and decent solution....

    webspinster Guest

  8. #8

    > Obviously
    > this isn't a viable route for self-contained menu include files.
    Why? It works fine for me.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  9. #9

    By "not viable," I don't mean that the menus won't function this way. I mean
    that it isn't viable for us to ditch keeping our SSI menus autonomous from the
    parent page, which is what happens when you have to name all of the SSI menu
    layers within the parent page body tag (x thousands of pages).

    This is why we're using SSI's in the first place--we need our menus to be
    editable without having to edit or update the thousands of pages using the
    menu. Even using a generic naming scheme for the layers, we need to be able to
    restructure the header, add or rename layers, etc. without having to edit all
    of our html pages.

    The good news is, I did hear back from PVII on this issue--Al Sparber said
    that calling autoHide would work inside the SSI instead of the parent body tag
    & onLoad event. I haven't tested this yet, but it looks promising:
    >> Alternatively, you can include the init like this:
    >>
    >> <script type=text/javascript>
    >> P7_autoHide('p7simonsubs1','p7simonsubs2','p7simon subs3');
    >> </script
    >>
    >> Include that script inside your include, below the pertinent markup.
    Thanks,
    Devra

    webspinster Guest