Professional Web Applications Themes

Menu in a dialog ? - Mac Programming

I am running in a conceptual clash between Windows and Mac: Is this possible to put a menu in a dialog? And is it possible to have a application as a dialog only that would not change the Mac menu ? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Menu in a dialog ?

    I am running in a conceptual clash between Windows and Mac:

    Is this possible to put a menu in a dialog?

    And is it possible to have a application as a dialog only that would not
    change the Mac menu ?

    Thanks.

    Denis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Menu in a dialog ?

    Denis Work wrote:

    You can put popup menus (as controls) in a dialog, but application menus
    belong in the menu bar.

    You should probably familiarise yourself with a few common Mac
    applications to get a feel for what users expect from a UI. Users hate
    inconsistency so don't break UI conventions unless you have a _really_
    compelling reason to do so.

    Paul
    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    In article <vif.com>,
    "Denis Work" <net> wrote:

    God, no! Please please please please read this:
    <http://developer.apple.com/ue/switch/windows.html>
    Sean Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks.

    DC

    "Sean McBride" <org> wrote in message

    > God, no! Please please please please read this:
    > <http://developer.apple.com/ue/switch/windows.html>[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  5. #5

    I did and I can't say that I am enhanted.

    "Paul Russell" <net> wrote in message

    > You can put popup menus (as controls) in a dialog, but application menus
    > belong in the menu bar.
    >
    > You should probably familiarise yourself with a few common Mac
    > applications to get a feel for what users expect from a UI. Users hate
    > inconsistency so don't break UI conventions unless you have a _really_
    > compelling reason to do so.
    >
    > Paul[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  6. #6

    I just read the article, Now I have somewhat a dilema.

    I am building bundle package for a datasource (twain driver)
    I do not have enough room to place every function in an Icon bar.
    And replacing the application... Well not a very good idea...

    So what your suggestion?

  7. #7

    I meant "replacing the application menu"

    "Denis Work" <net> wrote in message
    news:vif.com... [/ref][/ref]
    not

    > > God, no! Please please please please read this:
    > > <http://developer.apple.com/ue/switch/windows.html>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  8. #8

    Denis Work wrote:

    You can _append_ menus to the main application menu bar, but in my
    experience users don't always notice this as their focus will tend
    to be on the dialog.

    If you have a lot of actions that a user can take from within one dialig
    then you should probably explore whether there is some sort of hierarchy
    which you could exploit to allow you to group related commands together,
    rather than trying to present every single option simultaneously.

    My two cents: it sounds like you haven't really done any design (UI or
    otherwise) for this product and that you're just hacking the UI on an ad
    hoc basis as you code the implementation. This is not /necessarily/ a
    bad thing but you might want to consider taking a couple of steps back
    and try thinking through the UI before you go too much further with the
    code.

    Paul
    Paul Guest

  9. #9

    > "Paul Russell" <net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > You can put popup menus (as controls) in a dialog, but application menus
    > > belong in the menu bar.
    > >
    > > You should probably familiarise yourself with a few common Mac
    > > applications to get a feel for what users expect from a UI. Users hate
    > > inconsistency so don't break UI conventions unless you have a _really_
    > > compelling reason to do so.
    > >
    > > Paul[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    In article <vif.com>,
    "Denis Work" <net> wrote:

    For a TWAIN driver, it is traditional to represent verbs by push
    buttons, to organize the verbs into groups, and have your main dialog
    box bring up subsidiary dialog boxes, one subsidiary dialog per group.

    OR: your TWAIN driver uses interapplication communication to interact
    with an entirely separate scanner appliction: it switches the scanner
    application to foreground, and that application has its own menu bar.
    David Guest

  10. #10

    Yeah, I know but in the context of my dialog, which I am unfortunatelly
    press for speed...
    I have to display a group of images. which leave me little place for placing
    buttons.

    I think I have found a few alternatives myself, I could use one of those
    Icon to display a dropdown dialog and display a group of buttons.

    Or a popup menu. Thaugh, I do not find the popup menu elegant.

    Denis

    "David Phillip Oster" <org> wrote in message
    news:sf.sbcglobal.net... [/ref][/ref]
    not [/ref][/ref]
    menus

    > >[/ref]
    >
    > In article <vif.com>,
    > "Denis Work" <net> wrote:

    > For a TWAIN driver, it is traditional to represent verbs by push
    > buttons, to organize the verbs into groups, and have your main dialog
    > box bring up subsidiary dialog boxes, one subsidiary dialog per group.
    >
    > OR: your TWAIN driver uses interapplication communication to interact
    > with an entirely separate scanner appliction: it switches the scanner
    > application to foreground, and that application has its own menu bar.[/ref]

    Denis Guest

  11. #11

    In article <vif.com>,
    "Denis Work" <net> wrote:

    I can't say I've ever met anyone who _was_ enhanted. Perhaps if you
    explained what enhanted means and why you're not we could help.

    Looking over the questions you've been asking, it doesn't sound like
    what you're working on is a particularly good project for someone
    completely unfamiliar with the API and idioms of the platform for which
    they are writing. Bluntly, that does not bode well for the project.
    There are two likely outcomes:

    1) You'll get frustrated and give up.
    2) You'll soldier on and release something that noone will use if they
    have an option because it's completely alien to them and/or disruptive
    to their workflow.

    There are other _possible_ results, including smashing success, but
    those are the _likely_ ones.

    Standard output is like your butt. Everyone has one. When using a bathroom,
    they all default to going into a toilet. However, a person can redirect his
    "standard output" to somewhere else, if he so chooses. - Jeremy Nixon
    Gregory Guest