Merge Setup --> System-Wide Administration --> Load Windows CD. This prompted for a Start Disk, which fortunately I had (but really Merge should use a switch on Windows setup to avoid this, because it's not appropriate in this environment). Then I logged in as a regular user and ran Merge Tools --> Merge Setup --> Personal Windows Setup. This is where I get the "configuration" problem. I believe there is a bug in the script installwindows.sh. How's that for content? Regards, RWS [email]transpower@aol.com[/email] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <20030801183130.06272.00001487@mb-m03.aol.com> [ref] => <20030801203159.GE7038@jpradley.jpr.com> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Transpower [ip] => transpower@aol. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 7 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Merge Installation/Configuration Problem on OpenServer 5.0.7 - SCO
Professional Web Applications Themes

Merge Installation/Configuration Problem on OpenServer 5.0.7 - SCO

Merge (itself) seemed to install OK. When I log in as a user (not root) and run /usr/bin/installwindows, I get the following messages: Install Windows 9x from /usr/merge/dosroot/wincabs Internal error - can't read configuration Internal error - can't read configuration Error 10: The personal drive directory in the win configuration is not valid Cannot continue. Exiting ... Whew. Anybody here know what to do? Transpower...

  1. #1

    Default Merge Installation/Configuration Problem on OpenServer 5.0.7

    Merge (itself) seemed to install OK. When I log in as a user (not root) and
    run /usr/bin/installwindows, I get the following messages:

    Install Windows 9x from /usr/merge/dosroot/wincabs
    Internal error - can't read configuration
    Internal error - can't read configuration
    Error 10: The personal drive directory in the win configuration is not valid
    Cannot continue. Exiting ...

    Whew. Anybody here know what to do?

    Transpower
    Transpower Guest

  2. #2

    I then attempted to go into the Help to find an answer. I got the message that
    I had to index the doentation....well, OK, I guess. I ran this program:

    /usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig -i -v

    It seemed to finish. But when I went back into Help I got the message "Unable
    to read word database file '/usr/lib/docview/db/dbwords.db'". Did you run
    htmerge? Well, no. If I try to run /usr/bin/htmerge, I get the message
    "Unable to find configuration file '/opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf'

    Whew. I love 5.0.4's Help system. What the hell has SCO done now? The same
    thing with the online version of TA. The old method was much, much better.

    Has anyone on this list gotten Merge to work on 5.0.7?

    Transpower

    Transpower Guest

  3. #3

    Transpower <transpoweraol.com> wrote:
    >I then attempted to go into the Help to find an answer. I got the message that
    >I had to index the doentation....well, OK, I guess. I ran this program:
    >/usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig -i -v
    >It seemed to finish. But when I went back into Help I got the message "Unable
    >to read word database file '/usr/lib/docview/db/dbwords.db'". Did you run
    >htmerge? Well, no. If I try to run /usr/bin/htmerge, I get the message
    >"Unable to find configuration file '/opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf'
    >Whew. I love 5.0.4's Help system. What the hell has SCO done now? The same
    >thing with the online version of TA. The old method was much, much better.
    I had similar problems; from [url]http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/osr507.html[/url]

    DocView

    Docview is the new SCO help system. One of the first things you need to
    do is run /usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig to build its indexes. Be prepared
    for that to take a LONG time: on this admittedly weak machine, the
    process took an amazing 5.5 hours! But then everything was painfully
    slow with this. I finally got impatient and threw in some more memory,
    which helped a lot. For the heck of it, I reindexed (using -i to make
    it do the whole thing) after bumping the ram up to 384MB; that took just
    about as long. Reindexing isn't particularly healthy for the rest of
    your system either: my sar %idle was at 0 throughout this process.

    But the indexing wasn't complete at all. For example, while there is a
    "usb" man page, Docview search turned up absolutely nothing for "usb".
    I did notice that at SCO's web site, a Docview search for "usb" did
    turn up the appropriate pages, so it had to be something silly that
    interfered with indexing on my machine. So, I did it a third time.
    This took an incredible 10 hours, but when it finished, Docview could find
    "usb" in a search.

    You cannot index if you have used dhcp to get an address for this box.
    The supposed reason is that the machine doesn't have a fixed ip address
    (see /usr/lib/docview/conf/README). Pretty silly, I think.

    You may recall that in previous versions, "man" wouldn't work if scohttp
    wasn't running. In 5.0.7, "man" does not depend on Docview (/etc/docview
    stop|start|restart if you care).

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

  4. #4

    I tried again following the correct procedure (running from an X-window, etc.).
    I still get a "configuration" error when I attempt to install a personal copy
    of Windows 98. I believe there is a bug in the install script. I'm going to
    wait until I get an updated CD.

    Transpower
    Transpower Guest

  5. #5

    Transpower typed (on Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 06:57:36PM +0000):
    | I then attempted to go into the Help to find an answer. I got the message that
    | I had to index the doentation....well, OK, I guess. I ran this program:
    |
    | /usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig -i -v

    Don't try to second-guess the instructions, which are to run

    /usr/lib/conf/rundig

    without any options.

    | It seemed to finish. But when I went back into Help I got the message "Unable
    | to read word database file '/usr/lib/docview/db/dbwords.db'". Did you run
    | htmerge? Well, no. If I try to run /usr/bin/htmerge, I get the message
    | "Unable to find configuration file '/opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf'
    |
    | Whew. I love 5.0.4's Help system. What the hell has SCO done now? The same
    | thing with the online version of TA. The old method was much, much better.
    |
    | Has anyone on this list gotten Merge to work on 5.0.7?

    Certainly.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  6. #6

    Transpower typed (on Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 08:20:22PM +0000):
    | I tried again following the correct procedure (running from an X-window, etc.).
    | I still get a "configuration" error when I attempt to install a personal copy
    | of Windows 98. I believe there is a bug in the install script. I'm going to
    | wait until I get an updated CD.

    Please stop posting messages with absolutely no context -- you're just
    wasting our time, we have no idea *what* you tried again...

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  7. #7

    JP:

    I don't have /usr/lib/conf/rundig on my system. Maybe you mistyped?

    As for the procedure to install Windows 98:

    In root, I ran Merge Tools --> Merge Setup --> System-Wide Administration -->

  8. #8

    Transpower <transpoweraol.com> wrote:
    >Thanks, Bob.
    >I went to download Merge revision 23 and found that it was in CPIO format. On
    >AOL, this just displays as text on the screen--it doesn't FTP properly to a
    >file. Besides, why would this file be in CPIO format and not in VOL format?
    >What should I do now--call SCO on Monday?
    Many VOL. files are just cpio archives - there's nothing unusual about
    that.

    Why on earth would you use AOL???

    But even if you have to, you can still use IE once AOL connects, and
    then simply SHIFT-CLICK to download.

  9. #9

    Transpower typed (on Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:53:26PM +0000):
    | Thanks, Bob.
    |
    | I went to download Merge revision 23 and found that it was in CPIO format. On
    | AOL, this just displays as text on the screen--it doesn't FTP properly to a
    | file. Besides, why would this file be in CPIO format and not in VOL format?
    | What should I do now--call SCO on Monday?

    Instead of just clicking on that file (or on the release_notes files),
    use Shift-Click instead.

    The cpio archive conatins VOL files, as expected.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  10. #10

    OK, JP, I downloaded the file and saved it as a "text" file (the only other
    choice was HTML, which wouldn't do). I then attempted to extract the VOL files
    using cpio -i. Didn't work. What command am I supposed to use? I thought
    cpio was marked for obsolescense years ago.

  11. #11

    Transpower typed (on Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 01:26:15AM +0000):

    | OK, JP, I downloaded the file and saved it as a "text" file (the
    | only other choice was HTML, which wouldn't do). I then attempted to
    | extract the VOL files using cpio -i. Didn't work. What command am
    | I supposed to use? I thought cpio was marked for obsolescense years
    | ago.

    Saved it as a "text" file? What stupid client are you using? It isn't a
    text file, it's a binary.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  12. #12

    JP:

    Obviously it's a binary file. But AOL and Explorer just give the two choices
    of HTML or text. OK, so now what? Can someone just send me a normal tar.Z
    file of this patch?

  13. #13

    Transpower typed (on Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 12:37:06PM +0000):
    | JP:
    |
    | Obviously it's a binary file. But AOL and Explorer just give the two choices
    | of HTML or text. OK, so now what? Can someone just send me a normal tar.Z
    | file of this patch?

    Then install Netscape or Mozilla. Or don't use Windoze at all, use the
    OSR 5 box itelf.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  14. #14

    Transpower <transpoweraol.com> wrote:
    >OK, JP, I downloaded the file and saved it as a "text" file (the only other
    >choice was HTML, which wouldn't do). I then attempted to extract the VOL files
    >using cpio -i. Didn't work. What command am I supposed to use? I thought
    >cpio was marked for obsolescense years ago.
    Huh??

    What on earth gave you THAT idea?

    Certtainly pax has started to replace it and tar, but I don't
    think it will be "obsolete" for many a year.

  15. #15

    Tony:

    Just do a man on cpio.

  16. #16

    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote (on Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 04:18:30PM +0000):
    > Transpower <transpoweraol.com> wrote:
    > >OK, JP, I downloaded the file and saved it as a "text" file (the only other
    > >choice was HTML, which wouldn't do). I then attempted to extract the VOL
    > > files using cpio -i. Didn't work. What command am I supposed to use? I
    > > thought cpio was marked for obsolescense years ago.
    Actually, you're supposed to tell custom where the VOL.* files live ("Media
    Device: Media Images" option), and custom handles the heavy lifting.

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM [email]awacsegps.com[/email]
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law [url]http://yankel.com[/url]
    Economic Group Pension Services [url]http://egps.com[/url]
    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind Guest

  17. #17

    Using Netscape 4.7 I successfully downloaded the cpio file and extracted it. I
    then installed the latest revision, 23. But, alas, to no avail. I still get
    the same configuration errors (see below) when I attempt to create or use a
    personal copy of Windows ME. The problem could be the Start Disk; I still
    don't know why this is required. How does one go about creating this disk
    without an ME machine available?

    Exact statements of error messages:

    CONFIGUNR: Win: Error: The configuation win is not readable.

    CONFIG_READ_FAIL: dos: ERROR: Failed to read config <NIL>: 268870008 Error 4,5,
    unable to continue

  18. #18

    I broke down and went to my local CompUSA store and had the service tech make
    me three Start Disks: ME, 98 SE, 98. Cost me $10.70. Came back and tried the
    Merge install again. No luck. Still the same configuation error messages when
    I go in as non-root to install/use Personal copy of Windows or DOS. Has anyone
    here actually used this version of Merge (rev. 23) under OpenServer 5.0.7?

  19. #19

    Huh? I've presented here the exact context and content of the error messages.
    See message #20 in this thread. I'm saying that I get the same error messages
    with the correct Start Disks using both Windows ME and Windows 98. So that
    rules out the Start Disks as being the problem. So, any other ideas to try?

  20. #20

    Transpower typed (on Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:17:13PM +0000):
    | Huh? I've presented here the exact context and content of the error messages.
    | See message #20 in this thread. I'm saying that I get the same error messages
    | with the correct Start Disks using both Windows ME and Windows 98. So that
    | rules out the Start Disks as being the problem. So, any other ideas to try?

    Context, as I've invoked it here, has zilch to do with your error
    messages. I am talking about having some minimal quoting of prior
    messages in your new postings.

    I happen to read this newsgroup as email, so I save just what I choose.
    I have not found this particular thread so entrancing that I would have
    saved each and every part of it,

    Nor do I know how anyone else, using any newsreading method, would find
    "No. 20". Newsgroups aren't numbered that way.

    In any case, whatever help you get here is given freely by people who
    care to do so. We are not required to be able to summon your No. 20.
    If you want folks to follow the discussion, provide some context. We're
    not at your beck and call to backtrack through some archive.

    I'm done with this thread.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest