Professional Web Applications Themes

Merging photo element to another photo - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I need to merge an element of one picture into another one. The 1st one is my grand-daughter figure taken with a Canon Powershot G3 digital camera at maximu resolution; the other one is a picture of my nieces scanned with a HP Scanjet 5490c at 1200 dpi. The pictures were taken in different places. 1- I've done a selection of my grand-daughter alone but do get a grid (like a checkered-flag) around her at the saved file which I do not know how to make transparent to merge in the other file. 2- When I merge both pictures my ...

  1. #1

    Default Merging photo element to another photo

    I need to merge an element of one picture into another one. The 1st one is my grand-daughter figure taken with a Canon Powershot G3 digital camera at maximu resolution; the other one is a picture of my nieces scanned with a HP Scanjet 5490c at 1200 dpi. The pictures were taken in different places.
    1- I've done a selection of my grand-daughter alone but do get a grid (like a checkered-flag) around her at the saved file which I do not know how to make transparent to merge in the other file.
    2- When I merge both pictures my grand-daughter appears smaller than the elements in the other picture. I've seen directions to equalize resolutions but do not know how to do it.

    Can anyone help me ?
    Joao_Short@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Merging photo element to another photo

    Joao,
    In answer to your question #2, that is done in Image>resize>image size. For printing I like to have a resolution around 240 pixels/in. if possible.
    In answer to your question #1, after you have made your selection (should have marching ants around it) go to Edit>copy. Now go to to the picture of your nieces, and go to Edit>paste. Using the move tool you can position the selection. If you bring down the layers palette, you will see that the pasted selection is on its own layer.
    Should you continue to have trouble, don't hesitate to post again.
    Ken
    Kenneth_Liffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Just one quick addition to Ken's post - that checkerboard pattern you have does represent a transparent background.

    An alternate way of moving is to select the Move tool, click and hold on the image you want to move and then drag it to the picture of your nieces. It does copy automatically, so your original selection stays in its own file. The drag and drop method requires less memory capacity and works better for some people, but it has no advantages of the copy/paste method that Ken outlined - just a matter of preference and system resources.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ken & Beth,

    Thanks for the directions. They worked fine and I could accomplish the objective.

    Just another observation regarding question 2 above: My grand-daughter picture remains smaller but as there is a rectangle around the transferred selection I still can enlarge her picture by resizing it when it appears as a layer in the composite picture. Then I merge all layers and... IT'S DONE AS I WANTED !!!!!

    Thanks again.
    Joao_Short@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Joao,
    Glad that it worked out.
    To address the problem in technique, make sure that the layer that you are working on is active in the layer palette (has blue appearance in the palette.) Then click on the move tool and the selection should have a rectangle with side and corner handles for resizing.
    Let us know how you make out with this. Working in layers gives you maximal flexibility to make these type of adjustments.