My Connections.... In the box that opens, if they see the connection line with a red line through it, then their connection is bad. I have them click on that line and click the REMOVE button. Then they close Contribute and re-run the connection key and that fixes things. If their connection doesn't have a red line through it, I still have them select it and click the DISABLE button, close Contribute, and re-run the connection key. These two processes seem to tell CPS to refresh the connection between the particular client and the web server (I've also had to manually remove locks on the server, but the above procedure seems to have preempted that!). Hope this helps. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => redbarron [ip] => webforumsuser@m [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 11 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Message says can't edit because "already editing",except no one is! - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

Message says can't edit because "already editing",except no one is! - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

So, here's the deal: My client got a new computer and installed the latest version of Contribute on that new computer. But then when she went to edit her website content through Contribute, she got a message saying "You can't edit this page because you're already editing it on another computer." So then she went and double checked that she did not have any drafts on her old computer, and she did not. She could, however, still edit pages from her old computer. Unfortunately, though, this is not a good long term solution. After she contacted me (the site administrator), ...

  1. #1

    Default Message says can't edit because "already editing",except no one is!

    So, here's the deal: My client got a new computer and installed the latest
    version of Contribute on that new computer. But then when she went to edit her
    website content through Contribute, she got a message saying "You can't edit
    this page because you're already editing it on another computer." So then she
    went and double checked that she did not have any drafts on her old computer,
    and she did not. She could, however, still edit pages from her old computer.
    Unfortunately, though, this is not a good long term solution. After she
    contacted me (the site administrator), I manually deleted the settings file in
    the _mm folder and allowed a new settings file to be created, (which went
    fine). I also manually deleted the .LCK files for site pages. She still wasn't
    able to edit any pages from her new computer, same error. So then I deleted her
    user profile and sent her a new connection key. Same thing. Then I sent someone
    else in my client's business a separate connection key, and when trying to
    edit, this second person got the message "You can't edit this page because X is
    already editing it on another computer" ("X" being the first person). The same
    message comes up regardless of the page that either one of them try to edit. In
    trying to figure out what might be going on, it seems that it might have to do
    with the fact that the version on my client's older computer is CS2, but on the
    newer computer it is CS3. I'm tempted to suggest that my client uninstall
    Contribute from her old computer, but if she does that and then it STILL
    doesn't work, then she will have no way to edit the site at all, and she will
    be even MORE frustrated than she already is! I've tried setting Contribute
    admin preferences to both "transition mode" and "compatibility mode" - it
    doesn't seem to make a difference. Could anyone tell me how this problem might
    be resolved? I/we would be very, very grateful. Thank you.

    ndiffloth Guest

  2. #2

    This is a problem that I'm having also, I would be very interested in the solution. Thank you.
    appliedbrain Guest

  3. #3

    Have you searched this forum yet?

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/searchresults.cfm?requesttimeout=50[/url]
    0&category=290&forumid=55&FTVAR_KEYWORD1FRM=alread y+editing&FTVAR_SEARCHWHATFRM=
    c&FTVAR_RESULTTYPE=topics&FTVAR_AUTHORFRM=&FTVAR_T ABLECHOICEFRM=current&FTVAR_CA
    TEGORYIDFRM=290&Selection=false&FTVAR_DATESELFRM=S elect&FTVAR_STARTDATEFRM=&FTVA
    R_ENDDATEFRM=&cal_d1=0&cal_d2=0

    ThinkInk Guest

  4. #4

    The so-called fix provided by the other forum doesn't work.

    I have tried the fix of deleting the lck file and it basically doesn't work.
    I deleted the lck file and the entire site from My Connections, my client
    uninstalled Contribute and upgraded to Contribute CS3, then we reestablished
    the Contribute connection. Within a week, we were getting the same error
    message. This is clearly a program bug that Adobe seems uninterested in fixing.

    scr Guest

  5. #5

    I am having this same problem. Contribute CS3 v4.1

    Before I check out the file, there is no lock. When I click checkout, it
    creates a lock and then tells me "you can't edit this page now because you are
    already editing it on another computer. Click here to make this page editable."
    When I click on that, I get a dialog box asking if I'm sure I want to remove
    the lock. If I say "Yes", it removes the lock, and the page is no longer
    editable. I am back to square 1.

    If I delete the lock, it just makes a new one when I click on edit this page.

    I can edit / checkout via Dreamweaver just fine. This seems to be a Contribute
    deal. It's almost like it's making the lock first, then trying to get the file,
    but whoa-- it's locked.

    toddeverett Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    Many admins who use the same program are reporting the same problem to me. I
    could not understand the reason for their getting such messages.

    I can edit/checkout via Dreamweaver just fine.

    We need input from Adobe to know how to address it because users are getting
    very frustrated.

    Thanks.

    bene Guest

  7. #7

    I am having this same problem. Even as an administrator, I can edit a file and
    publish it, but as soon as I publish the file it tells me I am editing the file
    on another computer and if I try to unlock the file it throws a popup error.
    There are no .lck files on the server.

    hatzsbox Guest

  8. #8

    I'm also having this problem... I'm the Admin for our site and it's saying that I am reviewing drafts on the page, but I'm not...

    Help Adobe!
    Vanadael Guest

  9. #9

    The only way I solved this issue was to delete all contribute references in my
    Dreamweaver site and the preferences files for contribute, then delete all the
    files on the server and start again. Additionally I deleted contribute
    preferences off my clients computer myself. When we started fresh, it worked
    and has been working fine since then.

    appliedbrain Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for the feedback.

    So, if I hear you correctly, Appliedbrain, we have to do is ignore everything
    Dreamweaver and Contribute ask us to do -- ignore the request for Contribute
    setup. I appreciate your suggestion.

    I still believe *Adobe* should fix the problem specifically because it
    prides itself on the smooth interface of its various applications.

    bene Guest

  12. #12

    In my point of view you should try this: uninstall Contribute from her old
    computer, before that make a back of whole site, doents work etc. write all
    these file on a RW CD.

    And try what happens even if it did not work your client will be having all
    the backup files in a CD & will be able to edit them.

    Adam Jan Guest

  13. #13

    Very similar problems here. My client has started blaming me for giving her a
    website 'that doesn't work'. I predicted in time that this would happen.
    Obviously, from her perspective (i.e. someone who doesn't understand the coding
    of html / css and just understands that she wants an updateable website) she
    assumes I've done something wrong !

    Anyone know of any alternatives to Contribute ?

    Wodehouse Guest