Professional Web Applications Themes

messenger service - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

In article <1d4301c33ea7$8f7bc660$a601280aphx.gbl>, "Stacey" <postmasterwitchytree.com> wrote: >Are you talking about those messenger pop ups? > >Either enable your firewall, which stopped them for me, >or do the following: Please, stick with enabling the firewall. Disabling the messenger service does nothing but hide the fact that you have NetBIOS and RPC ports accessible from the Internet. You should close down external access to ports that should remain internal. Do not suggest a "fix" that merely hides the most visible sign of a security problem. Alun. ~~~~...

  1. #1

    Default Re: messenger service

    In article <1d4301c33ea7$8f7bc660$a601280aphx.gbl>, "Stacey"
    <postmasterwitchytree.com> wrote:
    >Are you talking about those messenger pop ups?
    >
    >Either enable your firewall, which stopped them for me,
    >or do the following:
    Please, stick with enabling the firewall. Disabling the messenger service
    does nothing but hide the fact that you have NetBIOS and RPC ports
    accessible from the Internet. You should close down external access to
    ports that should remain internal. Do not suggest a "fix" that merely hides
    the most visible sign of a security problem.

    Alun.
    ~~~~
    Alun Jones [MS MVP] Guest

  2. #2

    Default Messenger Service

    I am completely frustrated with the spate of pop-ups I
    receive throught he Windows XP Messenger Service function.

    Please help me disable Messenger Service so these
    frequent unwanted pop-ups are prevented.

    Thank you...
    Seward Smith Guest

  3. #3

    Seward;
    No need to pay for the fix.
    For Messenger Service ads:
    You need to install or enable a firewall:
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904[/url]
    Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve
    the real problem.
    The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
    The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
    computer.
    Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
    The firewall controls the traffic.

    Internet Connection Firewall will not work if you have AOL.
    AOL is not compatible with Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
    (ICF)
    If you have AOL, you should contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party
    firewall.

    Disable Messenger Service:
    Start/Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services.
    Go down to "Messenger".
    Right click "Messenger" and select Properties.
    Then under Start-up select DISABLE
    Click OK and follow prompts

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    "Seward Smith" <ed0615cs.com> wrote in message
    > I am completely frustrated with the spate of pop-ups I
    > receive throught he Windows XP Messenger Service function.
    >
    > Please help me disable Messenger Service so these
    > frequent unwanted pop-ups are prevented.
    >
    > Thank you...

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    Turn on Internet Connection Firewall -- instructions in Help and Support. An
    even better solution is to install a third party firewall.

    In future, you might want to read through or search previous posts before
    posting a question. Your question is asked and answered dozens of times a
    day. In fact, if you do nothing but read posts every day - this is called
    'lurking' - you'll become the family computer expert before long. On the
    other hand, you don't really want to become known as the family computer
    expert. Trust me on that one.

    Mike Mulligan

    "Seward Smith" <ed0615cs.com> wrote in message
    > I am completely frustrated with the spate of pop-ups I
    > receive throught he Windows XP Messenger Service function.
    >
    > Please help me disable Messenger Service so these
    > frequent unwanted pop-ups are prevented.
    >
    > Thank you...

    Mike Mulligan Guest

  5. #5

    [email]ranthony2houston.rr.com[/email] wrote:
    > Thanks for your advice. When I follow your instructions
    > todisable messenger it says it is not Windows Messenger:
    >

    > "Transmits net send and Alerter service messages . . . is
    > not related to Windows Messenger."
    >

    > is this the one, please?
    Yes, as your problem is not related to Windows/MSN/.net messenger, but
    rather to the messenger service.

    Rob
    MS MVP
    [url]http://www.robertmoir.co.uk[/url]

    Robert Moir Guest

  6. #6

    Every time i get on the Internet I get theese things
    called Messenger Services.I have America Online 8.0. It
    has pop-up controlls so no pop-ups come up,but I don't
    think they pop-ups AND IT DOSE NOT WORK! I have an HP
    computer and so dose my cousion but they don't get it
    {they have MSN}. It said on one Messenger Service that
    the version of your windows{XP}Is installed with a
    program!! We are about to buy software but before we
    spend $24.95 WE WANT SOME
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    How do we disable it or can we? E-mail me back. Thanks
    Gabe Guest

  7. #7

    Greetings --

    This particular "sales method" is strikingly similar to the
    "protection" rackets offered to small businesses by organized
    criminals. Yes, it's a scam; no reputable business would need to
    resort to extortion. Particularly since they're trying to sell you a
    type of protection that is already available to you free of charge.

    This a type of spam has become quite common over the past few
    months, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats. Install and use a decent,
    properly configured firewall. (Disabling the messenger service, as
    some people recommend, only hides the symptom, and does nothing to
    secure your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" these
    messages and the problem they represent is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893[/url]

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904[/url]

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp[/url]

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    [url]http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm[/url]

    You will have to obtain a 3rd party firewall, as AOL has
    deliberately made their connection software incompatible with WinXP's
    built-in firewall. AOL's proprietary connection applet is
    deliberately designed to preclude your setting/adjusting any of its
    properties, to include enabling/disabling WinXP's firewall, which is
    connection-specific.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    [url]http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url]

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Gabe" <Gcasey1505aol.com> wrote in message
    > Every time i get on the Internet I get theese things
    > called Messenger Services.I have America Online 8.0. It
    > has pop-up controlls so no pop-ups come up,but I don't
    > think they pop-ups AND IT DOSE NOT WORK! I have an HP
    > computer and so dose my cousion but they don't get it
    > {they have MSN}. It said on one Messenger Service that
    > the version of your windows{XP}Is installed with a
    > program!! We are about to buy software but before we
    > spend $24.95 WE WANT SOME
    > HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    > How do we disable it or can we? E-mail me back. Thanks

    Bruce Chambers Guest

  8. #8

    In article <000601c34965$b9611de0$a601280aphx.gbl>, "Gabe"
    <Gcasey1505aol.com> wrote:
    >Every time i get on the Internet I get theese things
    >called Messenger Services.I have America Online 8.0. It
    >has pop-up controlls so no pop-ups come up,but I don't
    >think they pop-ups AND IT DOSE NOT WORK! I have an HP
    >computer and so dose my cousion but they don't get it
    >{they have MSN}. It said on one Messenger Service that
    >the version of your windows{XP}Is installed with a
    >program!! We are about to buy software but before we
    >spend $24.95 WE WANT SOME
    For goodness' sake, don't buy software to stop these pop-ups. You don't pay
    the racketeers to stop scamming you - they'll just find something else to
    scam you with - and once they've installed their software on your machine,
    it'll be even easier for them to make up some other "flaw" that "only they
    can fix".

    Visit
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp[/url]
    to find out how you can stop Messenger Spam.

    There is word that Internet Connection Firewall doesn't work with AOL, so
    you should contact AOL and find out how to stop this spam. You do _not_
    need to pay to stop this garbage. [Oh, and you do not want to disable
    Messenger Service, because that's acting as a "canary", and will tell you if
    your firewall ever fails!]

    Alun.
    ~~~~
    Alun Jones [MS MVP] Guest

  9. #9

    I have been getting alot of junk e-mail in the form of
    messenger service pop-ups that occur if I am on line or
    not. I have a DSL isp so I guess I am always on line.
    Some of the messeges say that this is a service of MS
    windows. The pop-up blockers and spam blockers do not
    work on these kind of junk e-mail. is there any way I can
    block these from my computer. It is getting very
    frustrating because they pop up when I am working on
    school or work projects, even when I am not on-line. Any
    help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Darrin Dodd Guest

  10. #10

    Darrin;
    These ads are using Messenger Service.
    Messenger Service is a valuable tool many use.
    Like many tools, it can be exploited.

    "Darrin Dodd" <cddoddaol.com> wrote in message
    > I have been getting alot of junk e-mail in the form of
    > messenger service pop-ups that occur if I am on line or
    > not. I have a DSL isp so I guess I am always on line.
    > Some of the messeges say that this is a service of MS
    > windows. The pop-up blockers and spam blockers do not
    > work on these kind of junk e-mail. is there any way I can
    > block these from my computer. It is getting very
    > frustrating because they pop up when I am working on
    > school or work projects, even when I am not on-line. Any
    > help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] Guest

  11. #11

    I up graded my operating system to XP. Please tell me
    how I can stop the Messenger Service from sending me
    messages. I DO NOT want the messenger service.

    Example of messages that I'm receiving:

    Message from System to ALERT on 8/16/2003

    Protect your computer against these messages FOREVER
    With www.brodcastblocker.com

    Do Not click the OK button until you've visited:
    http:www.BroadcastBlocker.com in your web browser.

    Please Help. So far up grading to XP has been a Big
    mistake!

    Allen Francis
    rr.com

    Allen Guest

  12. #12

    Allen --

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904&sd=tech

    Essential Security Tools for Home Office Users
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/columns/security/5min/5min-105.asp

    If you wish to solve your pop-up problems once and for
    all, consider purchasing and installing a third-party program
    designed to do just that:

    Norton Internet Security 2003
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

    -- Includes Norton AntiVirus 2003
    -- Includes Norton Personal Firewall
    -- Includes prevention of annoying web pop-ups
    -- Includes Parental Controls
    -- All in one, easy-to-install package

    --
    Nicholas

    "Allen Francis" <rr.com> wrote in message:

    | I up graded my operating system to XP. Please tell me
    | how I can stop the Messenger Service from sending me
    | messages. I DO NOT want the messenger service.
    |
    | Example of messages that I'm receiving:
    |
    | Message from System to ALERT on 8/16/2003
    |
    | Protect your computer against these messages FOREVER
    | With www.brodcastblocker.com
    |
    | Do Not click the OK button until you've visited:
    | http:www.BroadcastBlocker.com in your web browser.
    |

    | Please Help. So far up grading to XP has been a Big
    | mistake!
    |
    | Allen Francis
    | rr.com

    Nicholas Guest