Professional Web Applications Themes

metastat result - need maintenance - Sun Solaris

Hello, I newbie for metastat and need help. I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below: d60: Submirror of d6 State: Needs maintenance Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device> Size: 247619079 blocks Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks) Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare c0t0d0s7 0 No Okay c0t1d0s7 2889 No Okay c0t2d0s7 2889 No Maintenance c2t0d0s7 2889 No Okay d71: Submirror of d7 State: Needs maintenance Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device> Size: 189607959 blocks Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks) Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare c2t1d0s6 0 No Okay c2t1d0s5 2889 No Okay c2t1d0s7 ...

  1. #1

    Default metastat result - need maintenance

    Hello,
    I newbie for metastat and need help.
    I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:

    d60: Submirror of d6
    State: Needs maintenance
    Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    Size: 247619079 blocks
    Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
    Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare
    c0t0d0s7 0 No Okay
    c0t1d0s7 2889 No Okay
    c0t2d0s7 2889 No Maintenance
    c2t0d0s7 2889 No Okay

    d71: Submirror of d7
    State: Needs maintenance
    Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
    Size: 189607959 blocks
    Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
    Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare
    c2t1d0s6 0 No Okay
    c2t1d0s5 2889 No Okay
    c2t1d0s7 0 No Okay
    c3t0d0s5 2889 No Maintenance
    c3t0d0s6 0 No Maintenance
    c3t0d0s7 0 No Maintenance
    c3t1d0s6 0 No Maintenance
    c3t1d0s7 0 No Maintenance

    what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from metastat result ?

    any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Rgds
    abdoell
    abdoell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: metastat result - need maintenance

    [abdoell]:

    > I newbie for metastat and need help. I run metastat on solaris 8
    > and the resulted as below:
    >
    > d60: Submirror of d6
    > State: Needs maintenance
    > Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    disk c0t2d0s7 has failed physically, see the logs for details. you
    may also want to use format(1m) (submenu yze, command read) to
    verify that there is a physical fault, but in a business critical
    server I'd replace the disk as soon as possible, and examine the
    failed disk afterwards.

    so, you need to get a new disk and replace it. then you need to
    partition the new disk so that the slices are at least as large as
    slice it will be a mirror of.

    if you give the new disk the same SCSI id as the failed disk, you
    should run metareplace -e c0t2d0s7, if it's a different id, use the
    command shown by metastat.
    > d71: Submirror of d7
    > State: Needs maintenance
    > Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
    same here.

    --
    Kjetil T. | read and make up your own mind
    | [url]http://www.cactus48.com/truth.html[/url]

    Kjetil Torgrim Homme Guest

  3. #3

    The status itself mention it already:
    > Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    so invoke metareplace -e d6 c0t2d0s7 and press enter....

    Hth

    "abdoell" <abdoell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:e05e140c.0307312000.1d9b96e8@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    > I newbie for metastat and need help.
    > I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:
    >
    > d60: Submirror of d6
    > State: Needs maintenance
    > Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    > Size: 247619079 blocks
    > Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
    > Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare
    > c0t0d0s7 0 No Okay
    > c0t1d0s7 2889 No Okay
    > c0t2d0s7 2889 No Maintenance
    > c2t0d0s7 2889 No Okay
    >
    > d71: Submirror of d7
    > State: Needs maintenance
    > Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
    > Size: 189607959 blocks
    > Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
    > Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare
    > c2t1d0s6 0 No Okay
    > c2t1d0s5 2889 No Okay
    > c2t1d0s7 0 No Okay
    > c3t0d0s5 2889 No Maintenance
    > c3t0d0s6 0 No Maintenance
    > c3t0d0s7 0 No Maintenance
    > c3t1d0s6 0 No Maintenance
    > c3t1d0s7 0 No Maintenance
    >
    > what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from metastat
    result ?

    > any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    > Rgds
    > abdoell

    Remco Guest

  4. #4

    instead replacing disk i have ran metareplace -e .....
    and great it workfine, the disk state becoming OKAY, thank's so much.
    But, there is also need maintenance and state saying
    --> invoke metasync <--

    do i need to run metasync ? as far as I undestand, metasync will
    launch when booting.

    As I successed run metareplace to change state become OKAY, what
    actually the problem on this disk. it is not a physical disk problem
    because after ran metareplace, disk is OKAY and also I never put new
    harddisk or replace any harddisk before this problem occure?, I really
    don't understand.
    Can you give me any clue for any possibility of this problem, please

    Rgds

    "Remco" <Boarddude@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:<3f29fc2a$0$45384$1b62eedf@news.wanadoo.nl>.. .
    > The status itself mention it already:
    >
    > > Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    >
    > so invoke metareplace -e d6 c0t2d0s7 and press enter....
    >
    > Hth
    >
    > "abdoell" <abdoell@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:e05e140c.0307312000.1d9b96e8@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello,
    > > I newbie for metastat and need help.
    > > I run metastat on solaris 8 and the resulted as below:
    > >
    > > d60: Submirror of d6
    > > State: Needs maintenance
    > > Invoke: metareplace d6 c0t2d0s7 <new device>
    > > Size: 247619079 blocks
    > > Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
    > > Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare
    > > c0t0d0s7 0 No Okay
    > > c0t1d0s7 2889 No Okay
    > > c0t2d0s7 2889 No Maintenance
    > > c2t0d0s7 2889 No Okay
    > >
    > > d71: Submirror of d7
    > > State: Needs maintenance
    > > Invoke: metareplace d7 c3t0d0s5 <new device>
    > > Size: 189607959 blocks
    > > Stripe 0: (interlace: 32 blocks)
    > > Device Start Block Dbase State Hot Spare
    > > c2t1d0s6 0 No Okay
    > > c2t1d0s5 2889 No Okay
    > > c2t1d0s7 0 No Okay
    > > c3t0d0s5 2889 No Maintenance
    > > c3t0d0s6 0 No Maintenance
    > > c3t0d0s7 0 No Maintenance
    > > c3t1d0s6 0 No Maintenance
    > > c3t1d0s7 0 No Maintenance
    > >
    > > what I don't understand, how to solve this problem as show from metastat
    > result ?
    > >
    > > any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    > > Rgds
    > > abdoell
    abdoell Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, I think you are right about that but you can run it manually.
    (so a reboot isn't required)

    please check your messages file on errors regarding the metadevices...
    When a disk give some retry errors (than it might switch-off the submirror)
    (and SDS patches are very critical for this product)

    But when a disk hangs a bit.. then it can produce some problems.. See i.e.
    also sunsolve.sun.com
    and it will degrade the mirror. check the original problem first and try to
    fix the problem...
    By ysing the disk (via format command) and or replace the disk..

    Then put back the original partition table and try to metareplace all the
    slices (don't forget the statedb's)
    Hope this halps a bit...

    news:e05e140c.0308042044.6e424ad6@posting.google.c om...

    Remco Guest