Professional Web Applications Themes

MI5 Persecution: Bernard Levin expresses his views - MySQL

The article of which part is reproduced below was penned by Bernard Levin for the Features section of the Times on 21 September 1991. To my mind, it described the situation at the time and in particular a recent meeting with a friend, during which I for the first time admitted to someone other than my GP that I had been subjected to a conspiracy of harassment over the previous year and a half.   At the time this article was written I had believed for some time that columnists in the Times and other journalists had been making references ...

  1. #1

    Default MI5 Persecution: Bernard Levin expresses his views

    The article of which part is reproduced below was penned by Bernard Levin
    for the Features section of the Times on 21 September 1991. To my mind, it
    described the situation at the time and in particular a recent meeting with
    a friend, during which I for the first time admitted to someone other than
    my GP that I had been subjected to a conspiracy of harassment over the
    previous year and a half.

    At the time this article was written I had believed for some time that
    columnists in the Times and other journalists had been making references to
    my situation. Nothing unusual about this you may think, plenty of people
    have the same sort of ideas and obviously the papers aren't writing about
    them, so why should my beliefs not be as false as those of others?

    What makes this article so extraordinary is that three or four days
    immediately preceding its publication, I had a meeting with a friend,
    during the course of which we discussed the media persecution, and in
    particular that by Times columnists. It seemed to me, reading the article
    by Levin in Saturdayís paper, that he was describing in some detail his
    "artistís impression" of that meeting. Most telling are the final
    sentences, when he writes, "The madman bursts into tears, and swears it is
    all true. And it is." Although I did not "burst into tears" (he seems to be
    using a bit of poetic licence and exaggerating) I did try hard to convince
    my friend that it was all true; and I am able to concur with Mr Levin,
    because, of course, it is.

    At the beginning of the piece Levin reveals a fear of being attacked by the
    "irrational" subject of his story, saying "I have no reason to believe that
    he is violent, but he should certainly be approached with caution". This
    goes back to the xenophobic propaganda of "defence" against a "threat"
    which was seen at the very beginning of the harassment. The impression of a
    "madman running loose" who needs to be controlled through an agency which
    assigns to itself the mantle of the "police" is also one which had been
    expressed elsewhere.

    In the final paragraph of this extract, his reference to Everymanís Library
    as having "died a lingering and shameful death a decade or so ago" shows
    clearly what sort of conclusion they wish to their campaign. They want a
    permanent solution, and as they are prevented from achieving that solution
    directly, they waste significant resources on methods which have been
    repeatedly shown to be ineffective for such a purpose.

    288

    MI5-Victim@mi5.gov.uk Guest

  2. #2

    -= why won't the British police do their job and put a stop to it? -=

    The British police obviously do know what is taking place. Besides my
    interpretations of what individual officers have said which forces that
    conclusion, it would be inconceivable for them to be unaware of something
    on this scale.

    If they know, then they will know that the abusers have broken laws in the
    UK and abroad. Recently the UK introduced laws against electronic spying
    which carry a penalty of several years jail if caught. If the police know
    illegal harassment is taking place, and do nothing about it, then they are
    failing in their responsibilities.

    Last Easter (1995) I went into the local police station in London and spoke
    to an officer about the harassment against me. But I couldn't provide
    tangible evidence; what people said, in many cases years ago, is beyond
    proof, and without something to support my statements I cannot expect a
    police officer to take the complaint seriously.

    The current situation with regard to the police is not one which allows a
    breakthrough in dealing with the problem. On the one hand, most individual
    officers at a local police station may not know about the ongoing assaults,
    so a complaint at that level will not yield results. Yet the police as an
    organisation do know of the harassment, and they must be aware that a
    complaint has been made at a police station. So it is clearly their duty to
    take preventative action against the continuing molestation, but because
    the criminals are operating on behalf of a state agency, the police are not
    carrying out their duty.

    289

    MI5-Victim@mi5.gov.uk Guest

  3. #3

[...]