Professional Web Applications Themes

[microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing operator) in query expression error - MySQL

I have a query I want to run using DBQwiksite siftware, which produces the [microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing operator) in query expression error when you go to save it. The query I want to run is this: SELECT m1.start_date, m1.end_date, m1.start_time, m1.end_time, m1.match_id, t1.team_name AS team1_name, t2.team_name AS team2_name, s1.stadium_name AS stadium, type.type_title as type, channels.channel_name as channels FROM matches AS m1 LEFT JOIN teams AS t1 ON m1.team1_id = t1.team_id LEFT JOIN teams AS t2 ON m1.team2_id = t2.team_id LEFT JOIN stadiums AS s1 ON m1.stadium_id = s1.stadium_id LEFT JOIN type AS type ON m1.matches_sport_id = ...

  1. #1

    Default [microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing operator) in query expression error

    I have a query I want to run using DBQwiksite siftware, which produces
    the

    [microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing
    operator) in query expression

    error when you go to save it.

    The query I want to run is this:

    SELECT m1.start_date, m1.end_date, m1.start_time, m1.end_time,
    m1.match_id, t1.team_name AS team1_name, t2.team_name AS team2_name,
    s1.stadium_name AS stadium, type.type_title as type,
    channels.channel_name as channels
    FROM matches AS m1
    LEFT JOIN teams AS t1 ON m1.team1_id = t1.team_id
    LEFT JOIN teams AS t2 ON m1.team2_id = t2.team_id
    LEFT JOIN stadiums AS s1 ON m1.stadium_id = s1.stadium_id
    LEFT JOIN type AS type ON m1.matches_sport_id = type.type_id
    LEFT JOIN channels AS channels ON m1.channel_id = channels.channel_id

    Can anyone see any reason why this query will not run?

    Dylan James

    dylan Guest

  2. #2

    dylan wrote:
    > I have a query I want to run using DBQwiksite siftware, which produces
    > the
    >
    > [microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing
    > operator) in query expression
    >
    > error when you go to save it.
    >

    > The query I want to run is this:
    >

    > SELECT m1.start_date, m1.end_date, m1.start_time, m1.end_time,
    > m1.match_id, t1.team_name AS team1_name, t2.team_name AS team2_name,
    > s1.stadium_name AS stadium, type.type_title as type,
    > channels.channel_name as channels
    > FROM matches AS m1
    > LEFT JOIN teams AS t1 ON m1.team1_id = t1.team_id
    > LEFT JOIN teams AS t2 ON m1.team2_id = t2.team_id
    > LEFT JOIN stadiums AS s1 ON m1.stadium_id = s1.stadium_id
    > LEFT JOIN type AS type ON m1.matches_sport_id = type.type_id
    > LEFT JOIN channels AS channels ON m1.channel_id = channels.channel_id
    >

    > Can anyone see any reason why this query will not run?

    > Dylan James

    Might I suggest an access newsgroup? This one is for MySQL.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    Well I'm using mySQL! That's my problem.

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > dylan wrote:
    > > I have a query I want to run using DBQwiksite siftware, which produces
    > > the
    > >
    > > [microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing
    > > operator) in query expression
    > >
    > > error when you go to save it.
    > >

    > > The query I want to run is this:
    > >

    > > SELECT m1.start_date, m1.end_date, m1.start_time, m1.end_time,
    > > m1.match_id, t1.team_name AS team1_name, t2.team_name AS team2_name,
    > > s1.stadium_name AS stadium, type.type_title as type,
    > > channels.channel_name as channels
    > > FROM matches AS m1
    > > LEFT JOIN teams AS t1 ON m1.team1_id = t1.team_id
    > > LEFT JOIN teams AS t2 ON m1.team2_id = t2.team_id
    > > LEFT JOIN stadiums AS s1 ON m1.stadium_id = s1.stadium_id
    > > LEFT JOIN type AS type ON m1.matches_sport_id = type.type_id
    > > LEFT JOIN channels AS channels ON m1.channel_id = channels.channel_id
    > >

    > > Can anyone see any reason why this query will not run?
    > >
    > > Any help would be very much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Dylan James
    > >

    > Might I suggest an access newsgroup? This one is for MySQL.
    >
    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > [email]jstucklexattglobal.net[/email]
    > ==================
    dylan Guest

  4. #4

    dylan wrote:
    > Well I'm using mySQL! That's my problem.
    >

    > Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    >

    >>dylan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a query I want to run using DBQwiksite siftware, which produces
    >>>the
    >>>
    >>>[microsoft][odbc microsoft access driver] syntax error (missing
    >>>operator) in query expression
    >>>
    >>>error when you go to save it.
    >>>

    >>>The query I want to run is this:
    >>>

    >>>SELECT m1.start_date, m1.end_date, m1.start_time, m1.end_time,
    >>>m1.match_id, t1.team_name AS team1_name, t2.team_name AS team2_name,
    >>>s1.stadium_name AS stadium, type.type_title as type,
    >>>channels.channel_name as channels
    >>>FROM matches AS m1
    >>>LEFT JOIN teams AS t1 ON m1.team1_id = t1.team_id
    >>>LEFT JOIN teams AS t2 ON m1.team2_id = t2.team_id
    >>>LEFT JOIN stadiums AS s1 ON m1.stadium_id = s1.stadium_id
    >>>LEFT JOIN type AS type ON m1.matches_sport_id = type.type_id
    >>>LEFT JOIN channels AS channels ON m1.channel_id = channels.channel_id
    >>>

    >>>Can anyone see any reason why this query will not run?
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be very much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Dylan James
    >>>

    >>Might I suggest an access newsgroup? This one is for MySQL.
    >>
    >>--
    >>==================
    >>Remove the "x" from my email address
    >>Jerry Stuckle
    >>JDS Computer Training Corp.
    >>jstucklexattglobal.net
    >>==================

    Then why does it say 'odbc microsoft access driver'?

    I think your problem lies somewhere else.
    --
    ==================

  5. #5

    dylan wrote:
    > Well I'm using mySQL! That's my problem.
    My understanding is that the error says "[microsoft][odbc microsoft
    access driver]" indicates that it's trying to run the query against
    Microsoft Access (i.e. the Jet engine). It is not running it against
    MySQL. If you were using the MySQL ODBC driver for the connection, the
    error would start like this: "[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]".

    Jet doesn't understand the JOIN syntax with multiple joins. You have to
    use parentheses. In other words, this works in MySQL:

    A JOIN B ON <condition_AB>
    JOIN C ON <condition_BC>

    But in MS Access, you have do this:

    A JOIN (
    B JOIN C ON <condition_BC>
    ) ON <condition_AB>

    So either write your SQL joins in accordance with MS Access's syntax, or
    else change your ODBC DSN to utilize the MySQL ODBC driver and connect
    to a MySQL database.

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    Thanks guys, I will try what you suggested Bill. I'm still waiting for
    the dbqwiksite support team to provide me with a suitable anwswer, it
    seems like another bug in their software, as it asks you which database
    you want to use and I selected mySQL....

    Thanks,

    Dylan

    Bill Karwin wrote:
    > dylan wrote:
    > > Well I'm using mySQL! That's my problem.
    >
    > My understanding is that the error says "[microsoft][odbc microsoft
    > access driver]" indicates that it's trying to run the query against
    > Microsoft Access (i.e. the Jet engine). It is not running it against
    > MySQL. If you were using the MySQL ODBC driver for the connection, the
    > error would start like this: "[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]".
    >
    > Jet doesn't understand the JOIN syntax with multiple joins. You have to
    > use parentheses. In other words, this works in MySQL:
    >
    > A JOIN B ON <condition_AB>
    > JOIN C ON <condition_BC>
    >
    > But in MS Access, you have do this:
    >
    > A JOIN (
    > B JOIN C ON <condition_BC>
    > ) ON <condition_AB>
    >
    > So either write your SQL joins in accordance with MS Access's syntax, or
    > else change your ODBC DSN to utilize the MySQL ODBC driver and connect
    > to a MySQL database.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill K.
    dylan Guest

  7. #7

    dylan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > Thanks guys, I will try what you suggested Bill. I'm still waiting for
    > the dbqwiksite support team to provide me with a suitable anwswer, it
    > seems like another bug in their software, as it asks you which database
    > you want to use and I selected mySQL....
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dylan
    >
    > Bill Karwin wrote:
    >
    >>dylan wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well I'm using mySQL! That's my problem.
    >>
    >>My understanding is that the error says "[microsoft][odbc microsoft
    >>access driver]" indicates that it's trying to run the query against
    >>Microsoft Access (i.e. the Jet engine). It is not running it against
    >>MySQL. If you were using the MySQL ODBC driver for the connection, the
    >>error would start like this: "[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]".
    >>
    >>Jet doesn't understand the JOIN syntax with multiple joins. You have to
    >>use parentheses. In other words, this works in MySQL:
    >>
    >>A JOIN B ON <condition_AB>
    >> JOIN C ON <condition_BC>
    >>
    >>But in MS Access, you have do this:
    >>
    >>A JOIN (
    >> B JOIN C ON <condition_BC>
    >> ) ON <condition_AB>
    >>
    >>So either write your SQL joins in accordance with MS Access's syntax, or
    >>else change your ODBC DSN to utilize the MySQL ODBC driver and connect
    >>to a MySQL database.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Bill K.

    Dylan,

    No, I would think this would more probably be ODBC definition. Are you
    sure the database is defined using the MySQL driver? Are you sure
    you're using the correct database (instead of something similarly named)?

    --