Professional Web Applications Themes

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' - ASP Database

What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access Database thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4 Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread 0xfe4 DBC 0x5200024 Jet'. (FileName), (LineNumber)...

  1. #1

    Default Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

    What does this mean? I am accessing an ASP page that queries Access Database
    thru fileDSN. I'm using IIS 5.0 Win2K SP4

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
    registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x444 Thread 0xfe4
    DBC 0x5200024 Jet'.

    (FileName), (LineNumber)

    M Guest

  2. #2

    Please read the following. Also stop using a DSN as it has been
    Deprecated from the MDAC.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/ado_deprecated_components.asp

    joker Guest

  3. #3

    Can you help me with the syntax? I 've tried changing my connection as what
    you've said but I get some errors. Whats wrong with my code?

    <%
    cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=F:/AccessDB/access.mdb"
    set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open cst
    %>

    "joker" <com> wrote in message
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/
    ado_deprecated_components.asp [/ref]
    Database [/ref]
    0xfe4
    >[/ref]

    M Guest

  4. #4

    At this point I'd need the new error since you switched from DSN/ODBC to
    OLEDB for you connection. Also have you made sure that the IUSR account
    has read, write, & change permission in the folder "F:\AccessDB" folder.

    One other thing when you use 'Data Source' your slashes need to be "\"
    (back slash) not the "/" (forward slash) that you are using. You only
    use a forward slash when using "Server.MapPath" because web servers use
    that while Windows uses a back slash.

    So most likely the error is because of the slash you are using, but if
    that doesn't fix it I'd suggest posting the error.

    M P wrote:

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/
    > ado_deprecated_components.asp
    > [/ref]
    >
    > Database
    > [/ref]
    >
    > 0xfe4

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    joker Guest

  5. #5

    I tried to put IUSR account to these folder and assign change permission but
    still not working and have error like this:

    Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    Could not find file 'C:\AccessDB\access.mdb'.

    /conn.asp, line 4

    And conn.asp have this line:

    <%
    cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=C:\AccessDB\access.mdb;"
    set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open cst
    %>

    "joker" <com> wrote in message
    news:#phx.gbl... [/ref]
    what

    > >[/ref][/ref]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/

    > > Database
    > >

    > > 0xfe4
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    M Guest

  6. #6

    Maybe you tried, but it sounds as if you did not do it correctly. This is
    the error you get when the IUSR account has insufficient permissions (read
    and write - aka. Change) for the folder containing the database.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

    Bob Barrows

    M P wrote: [/ref]

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    I'm really sure about that. I have tried copying the same db to different
    location and assign permission and still I receive this error. Need help
    from the experts!!!

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > >[/ref][/ref]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/ [/ref]

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"
    >
    >[/ref]

    A Guest

  8. #8

    Are you able to log on to the server? If so, please do so, and then open up
    a command prompt START---RUN---"CMD"---ENTER

    Then enter this command:

    dir C:\AccessDB\access.mdb

    What is the response?

    Then enter this command:

    cacls C:\AccessDB

    What is the response?

    Ray at home

    "A P" <ph> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    is [/ref]
    (read [/ref]

    Ray Guest

  9. #9

    here is the response:

    C:\>dir accessdb\access.mdb
    Volume in drive C is System
    Volume Serial Number is EFGH-ABCD

    Directory of C:\accessdb

    08/25/2004 02:43p 1,941,504 dprdb.mdb
    1 File(s) 1,941,504 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 3,313,098,752 bytes free

    C:\>cacls accessdb
    C:\AccessDB TRILUX\IUSR_TELSVR02:(OI)(CI)C
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)F

    message news:phx.gbl...
    up [/ref]
    different [/ref]
    > is [/ref]
    > (read [/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    A Guest

  10. #10

    A better test would be to log onto the machine as the local IUSR account and
    then try to access the folder. From your results, it looks like you've
    granted permissions to a domain-level user. Is this machine the same machine
    that your web server is running on?

    Please go back and re-read the entire FAQ article I linked you to. If the
    database is on a different machine from the machine that's running the web
    server, then you have a whole different set of issues that are dealt with
    here: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

    A P wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Your original posted error was:

    Your connection was:

    When you looked at this:

    You got this:

    Hate to point out the obvious, but the connection source is a file
    named "access.mdb" and the error is that the file "access.mdb" can't
    be found. Take a look at your directory listing. Yep, there is no
    file named "access.mdb" there. Your file is named "dprdb.mdb".

    Sometimes error messages really are that straight forward.

    Solution: Okay, if you missed it on your directory listing, this may
    not be as obvious to you as it seems like it should be. Change your
    connection string to the correct file name.

    Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  12. #12

    Jeff Cochran wrote: [/ref]

    I saw that too. I though he was just obscuring the name of his database. But
    you could be correct.

    In either case: good catch!

    Bob

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Guest

  13. #13

    Yes, I am accessing the same machine.

    Mark
    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message
    and
    machine [/ref]

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"
    >
    >[/ref]

    A Guest

  14. #14

    Sorry Jeff but the "dprdb.mdb" is the actual access file, i just change it
    for better understanding.
    "Jeff Cochran" <com> wrote in message

    > Your connection was:

    > When you looked at this:

    > You got this:

    > Hate to point out the obvious, but the connection source is a file
    > named "access.mdb" and the error is that the file "access.mdb" can't
    > be found. Take a look at your directory listing. Yep, there is no
    > file named "access.mdb" there. Your file is named "dprdb.mdb".
    >
    > Sometimes error messages really are that straight forward.
    >
    > Solution: Okay, if you missed it on your directory listing, this may
    > not be as obvious to you as it seems like it should be. Change your
    > connection string to the correct file name.
    >
    > Jeff[/ref]

    A Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:15:09 +0800, "A P" <ph> wrote:

    Okay, then the issue most likely is that the user attempting to access
    the file (normally the IUSR account) can't find the file at the time
    the connection is made. Provided the actual drive and path really is
    c:\AccessDB (I saw posts where a Z: drive was mentioned...) then you
    need to ensure that the user the connection is being made under (the
    IUSR account in most cirstances) has at least CREATE and MODIFY
    permission to the folder and file in question.

    Keep in mind that the IUSR account is not part of the Everyone group,
    and that if it really isn't on Z: and you just put that as a sample
    path then the folder it really is in must have that access. If the
    drive is mapped, keep in mind the permission is needed for the IUSR
    account, which is normally a local account on the web server and not a
    domain account (unless the web server is a DC), so any domain user
    access to the shared/mapped drive is irrelevant.

    Jeff

    >> Your connection was:
    >>

    >> When you looked at this:
    >>

    >> You got this:
    >>

    >> Hate to point out the obvious, but the connection source is a file
    >> named "access.mdb" and the error is that the file "access.mdb" can't
    >> be found. Take a look at your directory listing. Yep, there is no
    >> file named "access.mdb" there. Your file is named "dprdb.mdb".
    >>
    >> Sometimes error messages really are that straight forward.
    >>
    >> Solution: Okay, if you missed it on your directory listing, this may
    >> not be as obvious to you as it seems like it should be. Change your
    >> connection string to the correct file name.
    >>
    >> Jeff[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Jeff Guest

  16. #16

    Actually, i already simulated IUSR account to have a full control permission
    but still the error arrive. As I've told on my part posts, drive Z is not a
    network drive, its a local drive that I only assign as drive Z.

    "Jeff Cochran" <com> wrote in message
    news:microsoft.com... [/ref]
    it

    > Okay, then the issue most likely is that the user attempting to access
    > the file (normally the IUSR account) can't find the file at the time
    > the connection is made. Provided the actual drive and path really is
    > c:\AccessDB (I saw posts where a Z: drive was mentioned...) then you
    > need to ensure that the user the connection is being made under (the
    > IUSR account in most cirstances) has at least CREATE and MODIFY
    > permission to the folder and file in question.
    >
    > Keep in mind that the IUSR account is not part of the Everyone group,
    > and that if it really isn't on Z: and you just put that as a sample
    > path then the folder it really is in must have that access. If the
    > drive is mapped, keep in mind the permission is needed for the IUSR
    > account, which is normally a local account on the web server and not a
    > domain account (unless the web server is a DC), so any domain user
    > access to the shared/mapped drive is irrelevant.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > >[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    A Guest