Professional Web Applications Themes

Microsoft's Messaging Service Abused With ADS!!! - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

It's not spyware, it's a form of advertising using Microsoft's own Messaging Service implemented into Windows XP, 2000 and NT. And I don't need to go to a website like [url]www.messengerstopper.com[/url] and pay thirty bucks just for those things to stop popping up all the time, everywhere, browser on or not, just if im online. With all due respect for your good corporation. I don't think I have to pay more money other than the two-hundred for my Windows XP. I hope of all things that you could fix the problem and for free, as a windows update. Thank you...

  1. #1

    Default Microsoft's Messaging Service Abused With ADS!!!

    It's not spyware, it's a form of advertising using
    Microsoft's own Messaging Service implemented into
    Windows XP, 2000 and NT. And I don't need to go to a
    website like [url]www.messengerstopper.com[/url] and pay thirty
    bucks just for those things to stop popping up all the
    time, everywhere, browser on or not, just if im online.
    With all due respect for your good corporation. I don't
    think I have to pay more money other than the two-hundred
    for my Windows XP. I hope of all things that you could
    fix the problem and for free, as a windows update. Thank
    you
    Angel Rios Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Microsoft's Messaging Service Abused With ADS!!!

    Angel;
    This is not Microsoft.
    These newsgroups are provided by Microsoft.
    Microsoft does not officially monitor these sites although Microsoft
    employees do stop by occasionally on their own time.

    These groups are peer to peer.
    That means users like you and me ask questions, and users like you and
    me answer.

    For your problem, you do not need a patch.
    You simply need to enable the firewall that is part of Windows XP.
    These ads are using Messenger Service.
    Messenger Service is a valuable tool many use.
    Like many tools, it can be exploited.

    No need to pay for the fix.
    For Messenger Service ads:
    You need to install or enable a firewall:
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330904[/url]
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp[/url]
    Disabling Messenger Service can be a good idea, but it does not solve
    the real problem.
    The ads are not the real problem, the ads are only a symptom.
    The real problem is open ports that allow unwanted traffic into the
    computer.
    Disabling Messenger does nothing for the open ports.
    The firewall controls the traffic.

    Internet Connection Firewall will not work if you have AOL.
    AOL is not compatible with Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall
    (ICF)
    If you have AOL, you should contact AOL and/or get a 3rd party
    firewall.

    Disable Messenger Service:
    Start/Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services.
    Go down to "Messenger".
    Right click "Messenger" and select Properties.
    Then under Start-up select DISABLE
    Click OK and follow prompts

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    "Angel Rios" <pcnoitallhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It's not spyware, it's a form of advertising using
    > Microsoft's own Messaging Service implemented into
    > Windows XP, 2000 and NT. And I don't need to go to a
    > website like [url]www.messengerstopper.com[/url] and pay thirty
    > bucks just for those things to stop popping up all the
    > time, everywhere, browser on or not, just if im online.
    > With all due respect for your good corporation. I don't
    > think I have to pay more money other than the two-hundred
    > for my Windows XP. I hope of all things that you could
    > fix the problem and for free, as a windows update. Thank
    > you

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    I really wish there was a "sticky" or "prioritized" method of posts; that
    way Microsoft could post a message that will appear on the top explaining
    the messaging service, how to stop the popups, and why it's happening. That
    would save a LOT of time, about 30% of the new posts are about the messaging
    service =\

    Justin Rovang Guest

  4. #4

    just stop the messanger service on your compueter.
    right click my computer, go to manage, services,
    messanger and stop it.
    messanger is basically a service that lets you send and
    accept messages using net send in the command form.
    spammers are sending messages to computers that have
    public ip addressess.

    Aaron Gallegos Guest

  5. #5

    well i am happy with bein able to turn it off... i
    severely doubt windows' firewall would stop anyone
    determined to get into my PC... however not getting a
    message every 10 mins would be great

    Chris Brighton
    not mean the
    >computer is safe.
    >Read my other post this thread.
    >
    >--
    >Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
    >[url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/newsgroups/s[/url]
    etup.asp
    >Please respond to newsgroup only for everyone's benefit.
    >

    >"Aaron Gallegos" <aaronmytoshiba.com> wrote in message
    >> just stop the messanger service on your compueter.
    >> right click my computer, go to manage, services,
    >> messanger and stop it.
    >> messanger is basically a service that lets you send and
    >> accept messages using net send in the command form.
    >> spammers are sending messages to computers that have
    >> public ip addressess.

    chris brighton Guest

  6. #6

    Chris;
    That is clearly your choice.
    And you are right, firewalls do little to stop someone determined to
    get at your computer.
    However what you are doing then is like leaving the front door to the
    house wide open so a casual passer-by (not necessarily determined) can
    easily see and get to what there is.
    The firewall is like closing and locking the door.
    The thief can still break the door, but why should he when the
    neighbours is wide open and pickings appear similar.

    --

    "chris brighton" <astoopidfoolNOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > well i am happy with bein able to turn it off... i
    > severely doubt windows' firewall would stop anyone
    > determined to get into my PC... however not getting a
    > message every 10 mins would be great
    >
    > Chris Brighton

    Jupiter Jones [MVP] Guest

  7. #7

    In article <043a01c34ac2$6d250780$a001280aphx.gbl>, "chris brighton"
    <astoopidfoolNOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
    >well i am happy with bein able to turn it off... i
    >severely doubt windows' firewall would stop anyone
    >determined to get into my PC... however not getting a
    >message every 10 mins would be great
    And I'm sure you're happy to just close your eyes so that you aren't able to
    see your house being burgled. Me, I'll settle for closing and locking my
    front door every time I leave the house. Sure, it won't stop anyone
    determined, they could just drive a tank through the front door, but I think
    I'll be happier.

    My take on it is that the Messenger Service is a good little Intrusion
    Detection program - if the messages start popping up, I know my firewall is
    compromised.

    I put in a firewall long before I ever cared to know about the Messenger
    Service, and I've only seen this sort of popup when I was curious enough to
    lower parts of the firewall enough to see what the fuss was about. Then I
    put the firewall back in place, and it's been quiet here ever since. My
    Messenger Service is still enabled, and has been for years. The firewall
    has prevented a number of different attacks, in addition to keeping me well
    protected against Messenger spam.

    Keep the Messenger Service enabled, and install/enable a firewall. It's
    ridiculous not to.

    Alun.
    ~~~~
    Alun Jones [MS MVP] Guest