Professional Web Applications Themes

Migrating from SQL Server - MySQL

I have a small SQL Server database with a lot of tables. I'd like to migrate the data to MySQL on the same Windows server. Is there a Windows-based utility that can copy table structures between the two databases, or even transfer the tables structure and data too? -- Bernard Peek London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author....

  1. #1

    Default Migrating from SQL Server

    --
    Bernard Peek
    London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

    Bernard Peek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Migrating from SQL Server

    Bernard Peek wrote:
    > I have a small SQL Server database with a lot of tables. I'd like to
    > migrate the data to MySQL on the same Windows server. Is there a
    > Windows-based utility that can copy table structures between the two
    > databases, or even transfer the tables structure and data too?

    Yes: the MySQL Migration Toolkit.
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/migration-toolkit/1.0.html[/url]

    ciao
    gmax

    --
    _ _ _ _
    (_|| | |(_|><

  3. #3

    > I have a small SQL Server database with a lot of tables. I'd like to
    > migrate the data to MySQL on the same Windows server. Is there a
    > Windows-based utility that can copy table structures between the two
    > databases, or even transfer the tables structure and data too?
    Our database developer IDE can do that:
    [url]www.upscene.com[/url] - Database Workbench.

    --
    With regards,

    Martijn Tonies
    Server
    Upscene Productions
    [url]http://www.upscene.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com[/url]

    Martijn Tonies Guest

  4. #4

    In message <43562c2c$0$24648$4fafbaefreader3.news.tin.it>, Giuseppe
    Maxia <gmax__cpan_._org> writes
    >Bernard Peek wrote:
    >> I have a small SQL Server database with a lot of tables. I'd like to
    >>migrate the data to MySQL on the same Windows server. Is there a
    >>Windows-based utility that can copy table structures between the two
    >>databases, or even transfer the tables structure and data too?
    >>

    >Yes: the MySQL Migration Toolkit.
    >[url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/migration-toolkit/1.0.html[/url]
    Thanks. That's only a Release Candidate but it did the job in a few
    minutes.

  5. #5

    In message <KBoTbXAEYQXDFwO6shrdlu.com>, Bernard Peek <bapshrdlu.com>
    writes
    >In message <43562c2c$0$24648$4fafbaefreader3.news.tin.it>, Giuseppe
    >Maxia <gmax__cpan_._org> writes
    >>Bernard Peek wrote:
    >>> I have a small SQL Server database with a lot of tables. I'd like to
    >>>migrate the data to MySQL on the same Windows server. Is there a
    >>>Windows-based utility that can copy table structures between the two
    >>>databases, or even transfer the tables structure and data too?
    >>>

    >>Yes: the MySQL Migration Toolkit.
    >>[url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/migration-toolkit/1.0.html[/url]
    >
    >Thanks. That's only a Release Candidate but it did the job in a few
    >minutes.
    Having migrated the database from SQL Server to MySQL 5 I want to use MS
    Access 2000 as a front-end. Unfortunately none of the windows ODBC
    drivers seem to work. The current stable release of ODBC drivers
    silently fail without returning any data. The latest alpha release just
    gives me an error message, it's a known bug according to the web site.

    Can anyone help me to attach MySQL 5 tables in Access 2000?

  6. #6

    In article <44CP1BNR$6YDFwyFshrdlu.com>, Bernard Peek <bapshrdlu.com> wrote:
    >In message <KBoTbXAEYQXDFwO6shrdlu.com>, Bernard Peek <bapshrdlu.com>
    >writes
    >>In message <43562c2c$0$24648$4fafbaefreader3.news.tin.it>, Giuseppe
    >>Maxia <gmax__cpan_._org> writes
    >>>>

    >>>Yes: the MySQL Migration Toolkit.
    >>>[url]http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/migration-toolkit/1.0.html[/url]
    >>
    >>Thanks. That's only a Release Candidate but it did the job in a few
    >>minutes.
    >
    >Having migrated the database from SQL Server to MySQL 5 I want to use MS
    >Access 2000 as a front-end. Unfortunately none of the windows ODBC
    >drivers seem to work. The current stable release of ODBC drivers
    >silently fail without returning any data. The latest alpha release just
    >gives me an error message, it's a known bug according to the web site.
    >
    >Can anyone help me to attach MySQL 5 tables in Access 2000?
    I'm running MySQL 5.0.13-rc on a FreeBSD box, and was able to
    attach to it using the MyODBC 3.51.11 driver from the MySQL
    web site. It pretty much Just Worked.

    Uh, (ahem) with Access 2002. If upgrading is an option for you...
    --
    Steve Watt KD6GGD PP-ASEL-IA ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
    Internet: steve Watt.COM Whois: SW32

  7. #7

    In message <dk1tag$bv3$1wattres.Watt.COM>, Steve Watt <steveWatt.COM>
    writes

    >>Having migrated the database from SQL Server to MySQL 5 I want to use MS
    >>Access 2000 as a front-end. Unfortunately none of the windows ODBC
    >>drivers seem to work. The current stable release of ODBC drivers
    >>silently fail without returning any data. The latest alpha release just
    >>gives me an error message, it's a known bug according to the web site.
    >>
    >>Can anyone help me to attach MySQL 5 tables in Access 2000?
    >
    >I'm running MySQL 5.0.13-rc on a FreeBSD box, and was able to
    >attach to it using the MyODBC 3.51.11 driver from the MySQL
    >web site. It pretty much Just Worked.
    >
    >Uh, (ahem) with Access 2002. If upgrading is an option for you...
    No, unfortunately it's not an option. But I now have it mostly working.

    With the older DLL in place I can use the 3.51.12 drivers and a system
    DSN, file DSNs fail. It's unlikely to be a folder permissions problem,
    which was my first thought, because the SQL Server DSN in the same
    folder works correctly.