Professional Web Applications Themes

migrating tables from MVS to Windows version of DB2 - IBM DB2

Hello. We are tring to migrate a bunch of table that resides db2 (version 6 I believe) on a MVS mainframe environment to DB2 UDB version 7.0 on a windows NT environment. We are tring to achive this by exporting and importing in the IXF format, however the PC/IXF format appears to differ from that export from the mainframe. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to migrate these tables accross. There are around 100 tables, some of which have alot of colunms. Thanks in advance...

  1. #1

    Default migrating tables from MVS to Windows version of DB2

    Hello.

    We are tring to migrate a bunch of table that resides db2 (version 6 I
    believe) on a MVS mainframe environment to DB2 UDB version 7.0 on a
    windows NT environment.

    We are tring to achive this by exporting and importing in the IXF
    format, however the PC/IXF format appears to differ from that export
    from the mainframe.

    Does anyone have any suggestion on how to migrate these tables
    accross. There are around 100 tables, some of which have alot of
    colunms.

    Thanks in advance
    Stephen Jenkinson Guest

  2. #2

    Stephen Jenkinson" <sp.jenkinsonstudent.qut.edu.au> wrote in message
    news:4f7c9ed9.0309111641.543aa4eposting.google.co m...
    > Hello.
    >
    > We are tring to migrate a bunch of table that resides db2 (version 6 I
    > believe) on a MVS mainframe environment to DB2 UDB version 7.0 on a
    > windows NT environment.
    >
    > We are tring to achive this by exporting and importing in the IXF
    > format, however the PC/IXF format appears to differ from that export
    > from the mainframe.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestion on how to migrate these tables
    > accross. There are around 100 tables, some of which have alot of
    > colunms.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    You can create some sequential MVS files with the DB2 sample program
    DSNTIAUL (See Appendix D of the Version 6 Utilities Manual) and then
    download the files to NT. Make sure you convert packed (comp-3) and binary
    (comp) fields to display numeric (maybe with the CAST function on the select
    that extract the data). You will need to download the files as MVS text, not
    binary, using a program like IBM's Personal Communications that will convert
    the data from EBCDIC to ASCII.

    Then you can use import/load utility on DB2 for Windows. Obviously, you will
    have to create the tables and indexes, etc on DB2 for Windows before-hand.

    Just out of curiosity, what did you use to create the IXF extract on the
    mainframe?

    I realize you may not have much control over this, but it runs a lot better
    under Windows 2000.

    Mark A Guest

  3. #3

    Stephen,

    If you have DB2 Connect access to mainframe DB2 then you can run the
    export command from the UDB side, pulling the data from the mainframe.

    If you use IXF format, you can then use the IMPORT command with the
    INSERT_CREATE option to create the table on UDB.

    If you have lots of data suggest you do the export first with no data, and
    use IMPORT to create the table. Then do the export again for all the
    data, but use the LOAD (without logging) command to put the data into UDB.

    You'll still need to define the indexes by hand, but you can use db2look
    to generate these for you (from the mainframe). Or you can use your
    favourite mainframe tool to produce the index DDL for you.

    HTH

    Phil Nelson

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:30:13 -0600, Mark A wrote:
    > Stephen Jenkinson" <sp.jenkinsonstudent.qut.edu.au> wrote in message
    > news:4f7c9ed9.0309111641.543aa4eposting.google.co m...
    >> Hello.
    >>
    >> We are tring to migrate a bunch of table that resides db2 (version 6 I
    >> believe) on a MVS mainframe environment to DB2 UDB version 7.0 on a
    >> windows NT environment.
    >>
    >> We are tring to achive this by exporting and importing in the IXF
    >> format, however the PC/IXF format appears to differ from that export
    >> from the mainframe.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestion on how to migrate these tables
    >> accross. There are around 100 tables, some of which have alot of
    >> colunms.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >
    > You can create some sequential MVS files with the DB2 sample program
    > DSNTIAUL (See Appendix D of the Version 6 Utilities Manual) and then
    > download the files to NT. Make sure you convert packed (comp-3) and binary
    > (comp) fields to display numeric (maybe with the CAST function on the select
    > that extract the data). You will need to download the files as MVS text, not
    > binary, using a program like IBM's Personal Communications that will convert
    > the data from EBCDIC to ASCII.
    >
    > Then you can use import/load utility on DB2 for Windows. Obviously, you will
    > have to create the tables and indexes, etc on DB2 for Windows before-hand.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, what did you use to create the IXF extract on the
    > mainframe?
    >
    > I realize you may not have much control over this, but it runs a lot better
    > under Windows 2000.
    Philip Nelson Guest

  4. #4

    Stephen,

    Actually any ODBC driver should do the trick, DB2 Connect, StarSQL,
    HiT, you name it!

    Bob

    Philip Nelson <newsaccessscotdb.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.09.12.18.44.48.608721scotdb.com>.. .
    > Stephen,
    >
    > If you have DB2 Connect access to mainframe DB2 then you can run the
    > export command from the UDB side, pulling the data from the mainframe.
    >
    > If you use IXF format, you can then use the IMPORT command with the
    > INSERT_CREATE option to create the table on UDB.
    >
    > If you have lots of data suggest you do the export first with no data, and
    > use IMPORT to create the table. Then do the export again for all the
    > data, but use the LOAD (without logging) command to put the data into UDB.
    >
    > You'll still need to define the indexes by hand, but you can use db2look
    > to generate these for you (from the mainframe). Or you can use your
    > favourite mainframe tool to produce the index DDL for you.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Phil Nelson
    >
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:30:13 -0600, Mark A wrote:
    >
    > > Stephen Jenkinson" <sp.jenkinsonstudent.qut.edu.au> wrote in message
    > > news:4f7c9ed9.0309111641.543aa4eposting.google.co m...
    > >> Hello.
    > >>
    > >> We are tring to migrate a bunch of table that resides db2 (version 6 I
    > >> believe) on a MVS mainframe environment to DB2 UDB version 7.0 on a
    > >> windows NT environment.
    > >>
    > >> We are tring to achive this by exporting and importing in the IXF
    > >> format, however the PC/IXF format appears to differ from that export
    > >> from the mainframe.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone have any suggestion on how to migrate these tables
    > >> accross. There are around 100 tables, some of which have alot of
    > >> colunms.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > You can create some sequential MVS files with the DB2 sample program
    > > DSNTIAUL (See Appendix D of the Version 6 Utilities Manual) and then
    > > download the files to NT. Make sure you convert packed (comp-3) and binary
    > > (comp) fields to display numeric (maybe with the CAST function on the select
    > > that extract the data). You will need to download the files as MVS text, not
    > > binary, using a program like IBM's Personal Communications that will convert
    > > the data from EBCDIC to ASCII.
    > >
    > > Then you can use import/load utility on DB2 for Windows. Obviously, you will
    > > have to create the tables and indexes, etc on DB2 for Windows before-hand.
    > >
    > > Just out of curiosity, what did you use to create the IXF extract on the
    > > mainframe?
    > >
    > > I realize you may not have much control over this, but it runs a lot better
    > > under Windows 2000.
    DB2 Guest

  5. #5

    I'd have to scan the doc again but i think IXF actually stores the index
    definition.

    PM

    PM \(pm3iinc-nospam\) Guest

  6. #6

    IXF will include the index definitions if:
    1) the select is of type select * from table
    2) The index is user built as opposed to system built ( as in not from:
    create table (empid int not tull primary key(empid)....)
    Regards, Pierre.

    PM (pm3iinc-nospam) wrote:
    > I'd have to scan the doc again but i think IXF actually stores the index
    > definition.
    >
    > PM

    P. Saint-Jacques Guest

  7. #7

    PM (pm3iinc-nospam) wrote:
    > I'd have to scan the doc again but i think IXF actually stores the index
    > definition.
    >
    > PM

    P. Saint-Jacques Guest