Professional Web Applications Themes

migrating to a more robust database - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I am about to design a very simple database. I hope to learn/use Coldfusion MX to implement the whole thing with Dreamweaver MX. Currently I own Access 2000. I'll be designing creating the database in that software. I was told by an instructor that I can migrate this database with online tools to a more robust database. I'm wondering if someone has had any experience with this, and if so, will my work on the pages in Coldfusion be affected? If anyone can point me to someplace to learn more about this I'd appreciate this....

  1. #1

    Default migrating to a more robust database

    linque webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: migrating to a more robust database

    Access has an upsizing tool to migrate it to SQL Server.
    "linque" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I am about to design a very simple database. I hope to learn/use
    Coldfusion MX to implement the whole thing with Dreamweaver MX.

    > Currently I own Access 2000. I'll be designing creating the database in
    that software. I was told by an instructor that I can migrate this database
    with online tools to a more robust database. I'm wondering if someone has
    had any experience with this, and if so, will my work on the pages in
    Coldfusion be affected?

    > If anyone can point me to someplace to learn more about this I'd
    appreciate this.

    Showjumper Guest

  3. #3

    If you are currently using Access, you will probably want to switch to MSSQL 2k. It would be your easiest solution from a migration standpoint of your Access db. The only way your pages should be affected is you need a login script. But if you are using an include, that would be as easy as changing the ip address of the server and including your username and password for the db.

    Norm

    2clip webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Norm:

    Thanks for your help. I'm too much a newbie to fully understand your advise. I don't own SQL 2k. I may have been mislead, but an instructor had mentioned that there were utilities to convert/upsize Access to bigger databases. As I've searched, I see that Access itself has it's own tool (with an update for it at microsoft.com). I can't be sure if I need to have SQL 2k myself to do this. My goal is to use a database driven website. The instructor implied that a more robust db file online would produce better output for those surfing to the site and also allow more than one visitor at a time. Hence my search to migrate.

    Let's say such a service exists (don't know where or if I can use the one at ms without owning) and I don't need to own SQL 2k. There is a password issue. I do know what includes are, but I'm not certain about the nitty gritty of what to expect if i've used an upsizing tool (assuming I don't need the bigger db). I guess when I try to open it I won't be able to.. but... what would I put in an include, and would it be a txt file? (I suppose it may be some programming).

    Sorry for being so lame... I'm trying to learn and avoid huge problems down the road.

    If I'm way off base or must have the bigger db on my own system, please let me know. Thank you.

    linque

    linque webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    I assume your going to use a hosting company, if so, you don't have to own a local copy. Many hosting companies have databases available for use. What your instructor means when he says more robust, he means switching from the access database (which is know as a file based system) to a database server which is server based (in lamens terms). There is a tool to import your access db data into SQL server 2k. You will want to make this decision now, before it gets overwhelming and you just end up starting over.

    I use a company called readyhosting.com which is a windows based hosting provider and offers sql server 2k for very reasonable prices. I assume you are already on windows since you are using access db. They would give you the necessary login info for your connection script.

  6. #6

    thanks so much.

    linque webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest