Professional Web Applications Themes

mime - Mac Networking

I think this is relevant to a recent discussion (ahem) here, http://www.expita.com/nomime.html It's quite well put, and has a few things I never thought of too. Andy...

  1. #1

    Default mime

    I think this is relevant to a recent discussion (ahem) here,

    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

    It's quite well put, and has a few things I never thought of too.

    Andy
    nospamatall Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mime

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, nospamatall wrote:

    See? You are sending MIME messages, too.

    This is complete bull!
    The idiot who wrote this is just unable to understand the difference
    between "MIME" and "text/html".

    Of course it is a good idea to send e-mail and news messages as
    "text/plain". But you need MIME to declare an encoding (cht)
    and send special, non-ASCII characters. Only simpletons in rural
    America cannot understand that there are languages other than
    US English.

    Andreas Guest

  3. #3

    Andreas wrote:

    What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
    Trilingual.

    What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
    Bilingual.

    What do you call a person who speaks only one language?
    An American.

    --Fred
    Fred Guest

  4. #4

    nospamatall <net> wrote:

    Nice. That page was written by someone who has absolutely *no* idea
    what MIME is.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:33:18 -0000,
    Jeremy Nixon (com) wrote:

    > Nice. That page was written by someone who has absolutely *no* idea
    > what MIME is.[/ref]

    Most bizarre is the author's confusion of mime, html, and vbscript.

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    England go three up at Bridgetown!

  6. #6

    Bev A. Kupf wrote:

    >>Nice. That page was written by someone who has absolutely *no* idea
    >>what MIME is.[/ref]
    >

    > Most bizarre is the author's confusion of mime, html, and vbscript.
    >[/ref]

    Nevertheless, now that you've pointed out (not very clearly) the
    inadequacies in the author's presentation, would you care to comment on
    the aspects of this that cover efficient use of the internet from the
    point of view of the community as a whole?

    Tell you what, don't bother because you don't want to know about that do
    you? And that Michelle too who is "focused strictly on the user's
    experience, not on the mechanics of how it is done". Self as center of
    the universe an all that. Natural enough and fine for any terrestrial
    life-form that doesn't have pretensions as a planetary manager, which
    unfortunately humans do.

    Like that other one who thinks what I said about mime is invalid because
    my mail program is mime-enabled and posts a mime header, logic doesn't
    make a very big part of your conceptions, though you use the language of
    logic entirely.

    Rather than looking at that article with the intention of ripping it to
    pieces, you could try to understand what the author is actually writing
    about, anyone can attack technicalities. There are good points in that
    article, however badly presented you think they are.

    What you regard as 'efficient' for you is detrimental to the
    internet-using community (and the wider community via our use of bigger
    and 'better' machines) as a whole.
    nospamatall Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:04:53 +0100,
    nospamatall (net) wrote:

    Are you suggesting that MIME, HTML, and VBscript decrease bandwidth?
    Because if you are, you're even stupider than I thought you were.

    The sole point in that article has been made long ago - don't use a
    buggy MUA.

  8. #8

    nospamatall <net> wrote:

    You're posting MIME messages. So am I. Somehow, the Internet has failed
    to collapse as a result.

    The points in that article are based on information which is factually
    incorrect. The author doesn't know what he's talking about; the points
    are irrelevant.

    For example, he says: "Using HTML or MIME in E-mail messages makes the
    messages larger in size by a mimimum of two thirds to more than twenty
    times." This is simply incorrect, so any conclusion based upon it is
    invalid.

    He says things like "HTML or MIME messages leave or include unwanted
    files (attachments) on the machines of the recipients of these messages,"
    a statement that seems to be based on the author's fantasy and nothing
    else at all.

    There are many other factual errors, but the main problem is that the
    author is arguing against HTML and scripting in email and confusing that
    with MIME due to his total lack of understanding of what he's talking
    about. Whatever points the author is trying to make don't really matter,
    because they are based on total nonsense.

    Can you actually explain why you feel that MIME is detrimental to the
    community as a whole? Please include an explanation of how disallowing
    languages other than English is a good thing for the world, and how
    sending a picture through email is at all harmful to anything, at all,
    in any way. I utterly fail to understand the complaint here.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  9. #9

    In article <Xhtgc.4777$indigo.ie>,
    nospamatall <net> wrote:

    It hasn't had any noticeable detrimental effect to the internet-using
    community as of this date.

    --
    Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
    Michelle Guest

  10. #10

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <com> wrote:

    He almost has a point there; some email software does do this, but it's
    the fault of the software for not cleaning up after itself properly.

    I'm sorry to say that Claris Emailer was one of the software
    applications that was guilty of this "crime." The user had to trash the
    enclosure before deleting the message; otherwise the enclosure would
    remain on the disk after the message was deleted.