Professional Web Applications Themes

Mini-CDs in Mac CD-R drives? - Mac Portable

Received at a meeting a little 3" diameter mini-CD with top and bottom edges trimmed straight to make its height a little bit larger than the height of a standard business card. After some initial trepidation, worrying about possible damage to the drive, I tried it in the CD drive of my iBook and it reads fine. Are *writable* versions also available in this size, and can they be written in the DVD ROM/CD-RW drive in my iBook?...

  1. #1

    Default Mini-CDs in Mac CD-R drives?

    Received at a meeting a little 3" diameter mini-CD with top and bottom
    edges trimmed straight to make its height a little bit larger than the
    height of a standard business card.

    After some initial trepidation, worrying about possible damage to the
    drive, I tried it in the CD drive of my iBook and it reads fine.

    Are *writable* versions also available in this size, and can they be
    written in the DVD ROM/CD-RW drive in my iBook?
    AES/newspost Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mini-CDs in Mac CD-R drives?

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    nonstandard size cds are fine in *tray* drives. writable mini-cds and
    business card cds exist - i've seen them at the local stores.

    slot drives will definitely not handle business card cds and depending
    on the slot drive, may or may not handle the mini-cds. i vaguely recall
    early tibooks could and later ones could not.

    be aware they aren't really any cheaper than the full size cds, so
    unless the size or shape is important, its cheaper to use regular cds
    and not worry if it will work.
    nospam Guest

  3. #3

    Nice to know that someone can read them. I was given one yesterday with
    photos that a friend took. Tried it in my external FW CD-RW drive on my
    iMac and in the standard CD drive on my aging iBook. Wouldn't mount, in
    either case, nor did the system ask to reformat it. I was finally able
    to see open it using Virtual PC. Has to be in the way that his camera
    formatted it.

    Any place that has standard CD-Rs should also have the minis. If your
    drive can read it, it should be able to write it, although you might
    have to use Toast. I've seen them on sale at Target.

    I'm curious. Are you using OS 9 or OS X? I'm running Jag on both of my
    computers and never thought to try it with OS 9.

    In article <stanford.edu>,

    Phyllis Guest

  4. #4

    <posted & mailed>

    AES/newspost wrote:

    I once got an irregularly shaped one, made in the shape of the company
    logo. I didn't run it for very long, it was shaking the drive to pieces.

    It's a bit like having a wheel on your car severely out of balance.

    Yes. I've never used them but I've seen them at computer fairs.

    --

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  6. #6

    AES/newspost writes:

    Tray-loading drives have no problems with these kinds of discs. Some
    of the more esoteric shapes that are not symmetrical may make a lot
    of noise, since they're not balanced, but they should all work.

    Do _NOT_ use any unusual shape disc in a slot-loading drive,
    however. More likely than not, you will jam up the drive and require
    a service call to get it out.

    Apple claims that the 3" circular discs (not the business-card ones)
    work in some slot-loading PowerBooks. I wouldn't trust it, however.
    If you're curious, check your owner's manual first.

    Yes. I have a box of Maxell business-card CD-R discs. They hold
    about 50M (or 5 minutes of audio).

    They cost the same (and sometimes more) than 3" and 5" CD's. The
    main reason I use them is for convenience. I can slip one of them in
    a shirt pocket, which I can't do with a 3" or 5" disc.

    -- David
    David Guest

  7. #7

    Phyllis Evans <com> writes:
    [...]
    [...]

    Not necessarilly the camera.

    There are several Windows burning programs that actually put some
    kind program on the CD with the data in a proprietary format. When
    you insert the CD, Windows launches the program through the "auto
    start" mechanism, and then the program displays the data.

    Why these people simply don't use ISO 9660 with Joliet (or Rock
    Ridge) extensions is beyond me.

    --
    David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/
    David Guest

  8. #8

    com (David C.) writes:
    [...]

    Just fold it in half (or quarters)...

    :)

  9. #9

    In article <180920031655198693%com>,
    Phyllis Evans <com> wrote:

    iBook running OS 9.2. This mini-CD was a "professional" product,
    including fancy cosmetics on the label: a catalog of Stanford University
    patents prepared by the university's Office of Technology Licensing for
    distribution to potential licensees.
    AES/newspost Guest

  10. #10

    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    I have a number of old CD-Singles from the late 80s, when the teensy
    format was momentarily popular. Several of them have adaptor rings. I
    find that using these with the 3 inch "Business Card" discs, lets the
    disc mount-up just fine inside my slot-drive TiBook.
    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    David Magda wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > Not necessarilly the camera.
    >
    > There are several Windows burning programs that actually put some
    > kind program on the CD with the data in a proprietary format. When
    > you insert the CD, Windows launches the program through the "auto
    > start" mechanism, and then the program displays the data.
    >
    > Why these people simply don't use ISO 9660 with Joliet (or Rock
    > Ridge) extensions is beyond me.[/ref]

    The data is in a proprietary format, usually in the hope and expectation
    that they can establish user lock-in.

    --

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  12. #12

    In article <seahaze>,
    Peter Hayes <demon.co.uk> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Are the small but round mini-CDs (not the ones that are lopped off
    top and bottom) safe to use in an iBook or eMac? These are trays, not
    slotted CD drives.
    I'd like to use the smaller CDs for sending people relatively
    small files but I've heard so much about them damaging CDR drives that
    I've been wary about trying it.

    --
    asd123
    asd123 Guest

  13. #13

    demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) writes:

    You've been lucky. Those adaptor rings have been known to come loose
    while the disc is in the drive. When that happens, the entire
    mechanism will jam, requiring a service call to extract your media.

    -- David
    David Guest

  14. #14

    In article <EAIab.12474$bellglobal.com>,
    asd123 <invalid> wrote:

    I've just recently played back a lopped off type in my tray-ed iBook
    without apparent problems, and earlier msgs have said you can write them
    also -- but don't try this in slots.
    AES/newspost Guest

  15. #15

    > Are the small but round mini-CDs (not the ones that are lopped

    With a tray-based drive, no problem. Go for it.

    The only possible damage from these discs is if you try to insert one
    into a slot-loading drive.

    -- David
    David Guest

  16. #16

    > There are several Windows burning programs that actually put some

    This is for special filesystems that make a CD appear like a hard
    drive (CDRFS being the most common). Special back-end software is
    required to view these CDs. The formatting process puts a tiny
    standard ISO9660 session on the CD, containing a driver to read the
    disk. It has nothing to do with lock-in, it's just an ill-implemented
    convenience feature (convenience for *exceedingly* stupid users,
    inconvenience for everyone else in the whole world).

    My impression was that these schemes had mostly died out, though.
    Lewin Guest