Professional Web Applications Themes

Miniature of PSD Files in Windows "My Images" - Adobe Photoshop Elements

When I save an image in PSD Format, what I see in my repertory "My images" (Windows XP)is an icone of Photoshop Elements (the yellow flower)instead of a miniature of my image, even if my repertory "My images" is set to see miniatures of all my images. Before the reinstallation of Photoshop Elements 2, I used to see a miniature of my image. I had renewed the repertory "My preferences" and the one that concern the files associations is set at "Always save a miniature" when I save a PSD File....

  1. #1

    Default Miniature of PSD Files in Windows "My Images"

    When I save an image in PSD Format, what I see in my repertory "My images" (Windows XP)is an icone of Photoshop Elements (the yellow flower)instead of a miniature of my image, even if my repertory "My images" is set to see miniatures of all my images. Before the reinstallation of Photoshop Elements 2, I used to see a miniature of my image. I had renewed the repertory "My preferences" and the one that concern the files associations is set at "Always save a miniature" when I save a PSD File.
    Serge-André Lemaire Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Miniature of PSD Files in Windows "My Images"

    Serge-André,

    Est-ce que tu avais Photoshop Elements 1.0 avant ? Si oui, est-ce que tu l'as complètement désinstallé avant d'installer 2.0 ?

    Raymond
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  3. #3

    Raymond,

    Je viens tout juste de changer d'ordinateur. Sur le précédent, j'ai travaillé avec Photoshop Elements 1.0 puis j'ai instalalé la version 2.0 après avoir désinstallé la version 1. Je n'avais aucun problème. J'ai récupéré toutes mes images stockées sur mon ancien ordinateur et dans l'explorateur Windows, les images PSD enregistrées avec mon ordinateur précédent comportentles miniatures. Je n'y comprends rien !
    Serge-André Lemaire Guest

  4. #4

    ** ENGLISH VERSION FOLLOWS **

    Serge-André,

    Donc, sur le nouvel ordinateur, les miniatures ne sont plus visibles ?
    As-tu essayé d'ouvrir les fichiers, puis de les enregistrer à nouveau sous
    le même nom ? Ou sous un autre nom ?

    Le problème existe aussi sous Photoshop 7.0. Cette après-midi, j'ai fouillé
    pour toi, mais je n'ai rien trouvé. Il semble que ça soit un problème
    insolvable. La solution que je t'ai proposé n'a pas été essayé ou suggéré.
    Alors, dis-moi si ça fonctionne.

    En passant, note mon adresse électronique (carbonevideotron.ca). Je suis
    le seul qui parle courament Français sur ce babillard. Si ce problème
    persite, écris-moi en privé, ça va aller mieux.

    Aussi, tu as droit à un appel de support gratuit pour ton logiciel. Si
    vraiment ce problème est majeur, peut-être serait-il temps d'utiliser cet
    appel gratuit? Adobe Canada parle français, il n'y a pas de problème.

    Raymond

    Has anyone seen this before : On Serge's new computer, PSE 2.0 thumbnails
    for his PSD pictures are showing as the PSD file icon, not the usual
    thumbnail preview. On his previous computer, all was fine. I did a search
    on Photoshop Elements and Photoshop forum, some people reported this
    problem, but no solution was found. If someone has a clue, please let me
    know and I'll inform Serge. Thanks! :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Ray, these are thumbnails in the Elements browser or Windows Explorer? If
    it's the latter, my Windows 98SE Explorer won't show a thumbnail for any of
    my 11 MB+ TIFF's or similar size PSD's, although it will generate and
    display thumbnails for the smaller JPEG's. Not sure what the limitation
    is...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Ray, did he turn on the thumbnail view in the View menu??

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  7. #7

    Ray,

    To make sure we are talking about the same thing, have him check his view
    settings in windows explorer. Under the "view" menu item, XP gives a number
    of options, e.g. Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, List, and details. List and
    details only display the icon associated with the filetype. The tiles and
    icons options will make use of an imbedded thumbnail image in the file, if
    there is one, or the default file association icon if there isn't.

    PSE 2.0 will write the imbedded thumbnail if the option is enabled and the
    file type supports the imbedded thumbnail (save for web is an exception as
    it never imbeds the thumbnail).

    Have him do an experiment. Have him open an image in PSE 2.0 and save it
    using the "save as" menu option. Have him give it a different name and make
    sure the thumbnails checkbox is checked. Then have him look at the
    directory where he saved the image. Have him check the view option on that
    directory in windows explorer and have him select icon if it isn't already
    set to that. He should see the thumbnail of the image on the file he just
    saved. If he only sees the default icon associated with the file type,
    somethings wrong. The thumbnail may not have been saved with the image. In
    that case have him delete the photoshop settings file and try again.

    If that doesn't work, I've run out of ideas.

    Hope it works,
    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  8. #8

    Raymond... Oui, j'ai tenté de réenregistrer les photos sous le même nom puis sous un nouveau nom mais pas de miniatures non plus.

    Chuck and Robert... Yes I am in the thumbnail view in the View menu.

    Robert... I did the experiment you have suggested but no thumbnail appears.

    It looks like in the Menu Edit > Preferences, the element "Always save a thumbnail", "Never save a thumbail" or "Ask for a thumbnail while saving file" does not work (sorry this is a translation, my application is in french). When I check "Ask for a thumbnail....), and try to save a file using "Save as", there is no box to check to save a thumbnail. I have uninstalled the program and did the reinstallation but the problem persist.
    Serge-André Lemaire Guest

  9. #9

    Ray

    This may or may not be the same issue. And even if the same may not help
    because I have no resolution to the issue but:

    I have a lot of files that show the PSE2 flower icon (large) instead of the
    thumbnail. In my case these files were really PDD files even though the
    icon says PSD. I believe they are all the files I had previously created
    in PhotoDeluxe. Anything I have created in PSE 1 or 2 shows the proper
    thumbnail.

    Pete

    Pete D Guest

  10. #10

    Pete (and all),

    We've successfully isolated the problem to... Windows XP ! :(

    Serge sent me a file which happens not to have a thumbnail on his computer.
    And the thumbnail displayed just fine at my end. I've suggested to check
    for any Windows updates missing. Also, as a last resort, I've suggested him
    to create a contact sheet for each of his work folders. This way, when in
    Windows Explorer, he enters a folder, he'll only have to double-click on the
    contact sheet to view all the files and their names. I know, this is not an
    ideal measure because he'll have to regenerate the contact sheet after every
    changes to his PSD files, but it could be worth trying, especially if he
    does his work all at once and later archive his stuff, without modifying it
    afterwards.

    Thanks Pete!

    Ray

    Ray Guest