Professional Web Applications Themes

Minimum layer/cell heights - Macromedia Dreamweaver

"Sub" DW automatically inserts &nbsp; (non breaking space I think) into any cells which are empty. Delete this or put a 1x1 pixel image in the cell! HTH -- "sub woofer" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message news:bei3to$7rt$1forums.macromedia.com... | Ive noticed that Dreamweaver seems resistant to letting me make a layer or a cell less than 19 pixels in height. However if the layer or cell is filled with an image it seems to shrink to fit quite happily. Why exactly is this, why does Dreamweaver do this, and how do I get around it? | | | |...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Minimum layer/cell heights

    --
    "sub woofer" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    | Ive noticed that Dreamweaver seems resistant to letting me make a layer or
    a cell less than 19 pixels in height. However if the layer or cell is filled
    with an image it seems to shrink to fit quite happily. Why exactly is this,
    why does Dreamweaver do this, and how do I get around it?

    Tim L Guest

  2. #2

    I can see that this is the case for cells, but whats happening when im building my design using layers? When I check out the HTML in Dreamweavers 'code view' there's no sign of the '&nbsp'.

    Thanks for your help so far.

    sub woofer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    sub:

    Are you experiencing a problem with layers too? What problem? Please show
    me the code and tell me what is happening....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > I can see that this is the case for cells, but whats happening when im
    building my design using layers? When I check out the HTML in Dreamweavers
    'code view' there's no sign of the '&nbsp'.

    > Thanks for your help so far.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    this is the code that should be drawing a layer that is 100 x 5, but what its actually drawing is a layer thats 100 x 19.

    so whats increasing the height?

    thanks for your help

    sub woofer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    in the browser.

    i guess the reason it does this is for the same reason you described re cells?

    sub woofer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    sub:

    Not at all the same reason. If you really have a layer with no content, and
    you have applied a height of 5px to the layer, it will be that height. Can
    you show me the page please?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > in the browser.
    >
    > i guess the reason it does this is for the same reason you described re
    cells?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  7. #7

    here is the same 100x5 layer but as you can see it's 19px high in the browser

    [url]http://www.mega-tsunami.co.uk/test.htm[/url]

    sub woofer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    sub:

    I suppose the browser is at a loss as to which metric to use for your
    layer's height -

    height:5;

    Looks to me like it might have used barleycorns. Try pixels instead, e.g.,

    height:5px;

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  9. #9

    you are joking?

    sub woofer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    No. The point is that you must have a metric/unit attached to that 5. It
    should be 5px not just 5.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > you are joking?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  11. #11

    if I add 'px' after the 5 it makes no difference. I can also see that the property inspector is measuring everything in pixels by default.

    sub woofer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  12. #12

    sub:

    Apologies. It seems you are correct. It is indeed curious that this seems
    to be a BROWSER limitation too - and one I had never noticed before.
    Anyhow, to get a layer shorter than that 20px, just insert a transparent GIF
    image with the same height as you desire for the layer.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

  13. #13

    Yeah, I thought it must be.