Professional Web Applications Themes

Minolta 7D vs. Nikon D70 - Photography

I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses. I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and lens compatibility values. However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D (body only) are pretty close. Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a toss-up between these 2 cameras. Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe...

  1. #1

    Default Minolta 7D vs. Nikon D70

    I currently have a Minolta 35mm camera with 4 AF lenses.
    I had planned on buying the Minolta Maxxum 7D for the anti-shake and
    lens compatibility values.
    However, I have also been considering the Nikon D70 package that comes
    with 2 lenses...the price of the Nikon package and the Minolta 7D
    (body only) are pretty close.

    Now I realise there are people out there that swear by Nikon and
    others by Minolta (among other brands) but for me, it's becoming a
    toss-up between these 2 cameras.

    Any opinions to help me reach a decision would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Joe
    stator Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Minolta 7D vs. Nikon D70

    stator wrote:

    What two lenses? Probably Tamron or something. Nikon VR (antishake) is
    expensive. The lens is the camera with DSLR's, I think it makes sense to
    go with the Minolta though I know nothing about it.
    paul Guest

  3. #3

    I see no reason to buy a D70 if you already own Minolta AF lenses.
    I have owned Minoltas and Nikons for many years and there is no difference
    in quality between these brands overall.
    I own a D70 and I believe it is possibly the most over-hyped camera ever
    made. It is not a bad camera but there is no substantial reason to buy a D70
    rather than the new Minolta dSLR if you already have an investment in
    Minolta lenses that you like.

    bmoag Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:05:21 GMT, "bmoag" <net>
    wrote:

    I do have a preference for Minolta as I have used their equiptment for
    years...so I guess the statement you made above was what I was looking
    to hear.

    Joe

    stator Guest

  5. #5

    stator wrote:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/

    summarized:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page20.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminolta7d/page26.asp

    If you have Minolta lenses, then it's likely a good idea to stay in system. If
    you have a 3600 or 5600 flash (Minolta) plus those lenses, then moreso.

    If you forsee building a system, Nikon has advantages lenswise. There are a
    bunch of Minolta lenses that beat their Nikon counterpart, but overall Nikon
    just has a greater variety of very good lenses.

    Personally, were I to jump away from Minolta for DSLR migration it would be to
    Canon, not Nikon.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the side-by-side comparison link Alan, that's very helpful.

    Joe

    stator Guest

  7. #7

    "bmoag" <net> wrote in message
    I have to second that. I just bought a D70, but the reason was because I
    already have some Nikon lenses, and found out they could be converted to use
    with the D70. Jumping ship can cost you a lot if you have to invest in all
    new components from another manufacturer. And I doubt most people would see
    the difference in quality if you stay with Minolta. I also used Minoltas,
    but went to Nikon when I started to get serious about my photography, and
    only because Nikon offered more things that appealed to me. Getting the D70
    just made sense, given my budget.

    Sheldon Guest

  8. #8

    if yout dont got for the Minolta, just go with Canon 20D. Forget the D70.

    Chuck Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:38:45 -0500, "Chuck" <com>
    wrote:

    I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
    threads in this group about potential problems with them. Not sure of
    the exact nature of the problems, but it was enough to make me looks
    at other cameras instead.

    Joe
    stator Guest

  10. #10

    stator <com> wrote in

    Hmmm .. what might that be?

    As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
    I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
    true or not before you dismiss it.

    /Roland
    Roland Guest

  11. #11

    Roland Karlsson wrote:

    > Hmmm .. what might that be?
    >
    > As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
    > I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
    > true or not before you dismiss it.[/ref]

    Then he'll have to buy lenses as well. With the 7D, he already has 4 lenses...

    I agree that the 20D is not to be discounted out-of-hand.

    Alan Guest

  12. #12

    >> I was considering the 20D at one point also, but I followed a few
    >Hmmm .. what might that be?
    >As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
    >I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
    >true or not before you dismiss it.
    >/Roland[/ref]

    There was a posting entitled "20D: a flawed camera?" in this group. It
    referred to a couple of people having problems with their cameras.
    Now, I imagine that any manufacturer is going to have a few lemons
    (don't buy a car made on a Monday, right?).
    From the reviews I've read on the 20D, it seems to be an excellent
    camera....but as Alan said, I would have to purchase lenses for it.
    Hence my decision to look at both the 7D (with I have lenses for) and
    the D70 kit (which comes with 2 lenses). By the way, the lenses that
    come with the Nikon kit are a NIKON 18-70 Lens and a NIKON 70-300 Lens

    I like the external controls of the 7D and the large screen....so I'm
    90% certain now that that's the camera I will purchase.

    Now I just have to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.

    :-)

    Joe
    stator Guest

  13. #13

    "stator" <com> wrote in message
    > >Hmmm .. what might that be?
    > >As far as I know the 20D is one of the best right now.
    > >I think you shall try to find out if those rumours are
    > >true or not before you dismiss it.
    > >/Roland[/ref]
    >
    > There was a posting entitled "20D: a flawed camera?" in this group. It
    > referred to a couple of people having problems with their cameras.
    > Now, I imagine that any manufacturer is going to have a few lemons
    > (don't buy a car made on a Monday, right?).
    > From the reviews I've read on the 20D, it seems to be an excellent
    > camera....but as Alan said, I would have to purchase lenses for it.
    > Hence my decision to look at both the 7D (with I have lenses for) and
    > the D70 kit (which comes with 2 lenses). By the way, the lenses that
    > come with the Nikon kit are a NIKON 18-70 Lens and a NIKON 70-300 Lens
    >

    > I like the external controls of the 7D and the large screen....so I'm
    > 90% certain now that that's the camera I will purchase.
    >

    > Now I just have to find one in Canada at a reasonable price.
    >[/ref]
    What do consider a "reasonable" Canadian price? KM Canada aren't doing
    themselves any favours with they way they are marketing the 7D. I have about
    12 in stock right now.

    Darrell Guest

  14. #14

    >What do consider a "reasonable" Canadian price? KM Canada aren't doing
    >themselves any favours with they way they are marketing the 7D. I have about
    >12 in stock right now.[/ref]

    Well, just about everywhere I look in retail stores or online in
    Canada, the going price for the body only seems to be $1999 CAD.
    That's $2300 CAD with tax.

    Now, I found a supplier that sells them online for $1600 CAD + 15% tax
    (in Ontario)
    I am considering buying from this supplier this week unless I can find
    a better deal.

    Joe

    stator Guest

  15. #15

    Hi,

    So did I a few weeks ago :)

    My motivations were the same.

    I only considered the Dynax 7D, because additionnally to being anti shake &
    lens compatible, it had the simple & efficient ergonomy of my 600 Si.

    So I bought a 7D.

    I can only tell from my few weeks of experience with the 7D (nota bene, this
    is my first digital camera).

    - overall, all is very much ok and well thought, and very consistant with my
    Minolta habits (I have a 600si and a 9xi but I find the 600 much easier to
    use thanks to its 'one feature, one button' approach, which luckily is the
    same on the 7D). Most pictures I shot were as I expected them to be. The
    menu system is not overloaded, and I find it well thought too. The camera
    body feels rugged although heavier than you'd expect. I like this camera a
    lot.

    - anti shake is pure magic. I take pictures in low light condition, where
    you'd need a flash with a non stabilized camera, and they are sharp even at
    1/15th s (of course, only if subject not in motion).

    - the ergonomy being the same as the 600si, the 7D has the few things which
    i wished to have on the 600si. Main item (for my taste of course) is "DMF" :
    after you activate this option, the camera autofocuses, and then retracts
    the AF mechanism so you can manually retouch the focus.

    - the pictures taken feel very "natural colors", to some extent, more than
    with the films i was used to on the 600si (usually Kodak royal gold 200).
    The default settings don't enhance neither sharpness nor color saturation,
    and this is a good thing. You can retouch the settings ("natural+" and
    "sharpen++" seem to be widely suggested settings if you seek for a bit more
    impact).

    - the camera looks a bit faster than the 600si in terms of general
    operation, it is ok by my tastes, although you hear here and there that it
    is slower than the canon & nikon counterparts.

    - the only annoying thing so far with my 7D is that mine exposes a
    consistent habit of underexposing pictures taken with flash. Of course you
    can correct this using the flash exposure dedicated offset dial setup, but I
    wonder why they set it up like that.

    Kind regards,
    --
    Stéphane

    Stéphane Guest

  16. #16

    stator wrote:

    I am not a Minolta expert but I faced the similar decision when I
    wanted a DSLR but the camera brand I use (Pentax) didn't make one. It
    is very tempting to buy one from the "Big Two" (Nikon/Canon) but I am
    happy I waited for Pentax. I waited until there was trustworthy
    reviews of the *ist D. In fact I waited too long and my reward was
    getting the even cheaper "bargain" *ist DS ...

    I think you should wait a little. The Minolta 7D price will lower. Or
    maybe Minolta will announce cheaper 5D without expensive (but useful!)
    anti-skahe.

    Like Pentax, Minolta makes very good lenses with excellent "look". The
    results might be made with German design lenses (Leica, Zeiss) which
    all have this "look". Canon and Nikon lenses are sharp, maybe very
    sharp, but only a few lenses have the "look".

    Many Nikon lenses made in last few years are no better than junk glass,
    looking sharp in the centre but with soft edges, big distortion and
    dark at corners. Wide angle zooms at lower prices have been *very* bad
    in these ways - and this is not good for digital as we need the wider
    lenses more.

    I think Pentax and Minolta lenses are very superior to Canon and Nikon,
    except for Canon L and top Nikkors which are good but expensive. Even
    cheap Pentax and Minolta lenses are good and have the "look".

    So my advice - stay with your brand (Minolta) and wait until price
    drops. It will.

    (Believe me! It will.)

    So you can keep your excellent Minolta glass and buy a new wide angle,
    knowing it will be better than a Nikkor or Canon (except for expensive
    ones). Maybe buy wide angle now and enjoy using, while you are waiting?

    SMC Guest

  17. #17

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:48:54 +0100, "Stéphane Guillard"
    <com> had a flock of green cheek conures
    squawk out:

    If this occurs with the 5600HS(D), the flash needs to be sent to KM
    for reprogramming. On some 5600 flashes, the preflash for setting the
    exposure isn't correct.

    Stephen

    --
    Stephen Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Hamilton Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    stator wrote:

    What do you consider "reasonable"?

    PMA is coming, following that there may be reason for the 7D price to fall.

    Alan Guest

  20. #20

    Darrell wrote:

    So how much? And are KM holding you to a sales price?

    Alan Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast