Professional Web Applications Themes

Minolta Dyanx 7D Views - Photography

Has anyone in group Bought one yet and if so are you pleased with it or not I am waiting for them to arrive in New Zealand and would like some ideas if they are worth buying Cheers Dave Hellberg Palmerston North New Zealand...

  1. #1

    Default Minolta Dyanx 7D Views

    Has anyone in group Bought one yet and if so
    are you pleased with it or not
    I am waiting for them to arrive in New Zealand and would
    like some ideas if they are worth buying

    Cheers Dave Hellberg
    Palmerston North
    New Zealand

    Dave Hellberg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Minolta Dyanx 7D Views

    Dave Hellberg wrote:
    > Has anyone in group Bought one yet and if so
    > are you pleased with it or not
    > I am waiting for them to arrive in New Zealand and would
    > like some ideas if they are worth buying
    I got my 7D here in Seattle, (in the northwest USA) on November 15th and
    I'm in love...

    My main reason for going with the Maxxum/Dynax is the collection of
    lenses and accessories I already had for my Maxxum 9xi's. All the
    lenses work well (Minolta 50 f/1.4 & 50 f/2.8 Macro; Tamron 35-105
    f/2.8; Sigma 75-300 f/4~5.6 APO & 500 f/7.2; Tokina 20-35 f/3.5)

    My Tamron 1.4x and 2x tele-extenders work okay only if I turn off
    autofocus; if AF is on, the camera just sorta growls the focusing motor
    but won't focus or allow shutter release, no matter which lens I use.

    My 18 year-old Minolta 4000AF strobe also doesn't talk much to the
    camera other than to fire when the shutter is released; it's auto-zoom
    head also still responds to zooming a lens. I will have to go back and
    dust off the brain cell that supposedly learned how to calculate via
    guide numbers, ISOs and distance - or I can just use the brute force
    trial-and-error method since I have instant feedback - that method has
    worked very nicely in my tests so far. Might look into one of the newer
    whizbang Minolta strobes when I gather up some more pennies, but I
    really don't do all that much flash photography.

    I also got the VC-7D Vertical Control Grip which seems to work very
    nicely, it gives me a better grip on the camera than I usually have on
    reality (not like that's saying a lot...), and it has room for two
    NP-400 batteries - a nice feature is that it will operate also with only
    one battery installed, or with 6 AA Ni-Mh cells (haven't tried the
    latter.)

    I'm using a Hitachi 4Gb Microdrive which has been trouble-free so far
    other than it fits quite snugly into the slot, I have a little trouble
    getting my big fingers in to pull it out after pushing the eject lever -
    still better than having it go sproinging out over the rim at Crater
    Lake or into the intake of a jet... I have managed to about half fill
    it so far and have only recharged the batteries once, and then only
    after a big set of long nighttime exposure tests - these also turned out
    quite well, at least here close to a city core with brightly light
    polluted skies, Seattle hasn't had a clear night yet to try some
    starscape photos, maybe next August. The 2 second delay release mode is
    great for such tripod shots, the 7D locks up the mirror when you press
    the shutter allowing vibrations to damp before the actual exposure -
    schweet!

    Coming from decades of slides, I really like being able to change ISO in
    'mid roll' - even at ISO 800, noise is minimal; at 3200 there is a fair
    bit, but still less than I get scanning an ISO 200 negative in my Nikon
    Coolscan 4000ED. Was having fun late last night riding home with a
    friend, handholding amazingly short exposures out the windshield at ISO
    3200 with a 1.4 lens that showed very nicely the moron in the next lane
    aggressively tailgating the poor sot in front of him.

    The anti-shake system seems to work quite well, and is a real plus for
    me as I'm not as steady as I used to be with this bum back; Minolta also
    came to my rescue like this in 1985 when they brought out the Maxxum
    7000 AF just as my eyesight was taking a decided turn for the worse. The
    data display on the 7D is also a real help for my crummy eyes - I can
    set it to the minimal data mode where just the most important details
    are shown in even larger text - much easier for me to see than the LCD
    panels on my 9xi's or the smaller viewfinder readouts, though the 7D is
    better there compared to the 9xi, too.

    Summing up, I'm really happy with my new toy! I've had a Sony Mavica
    CD1000 for four years, nice for what it does, but nowhere near a match
    for a 'real' camera - this is my first experience with a DSLR, I don't
    think I will be shooting a whole lot of film from here on out!

    Bob ^,,^
    [url]http://bobqat.com[/url]

    Bob Harrington Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAMblarg.net> wrote in message news:<186dnSBonp8YNjjcRVn-rwgiganews.com>...
    > Dave Hellberg wrote:
    > > Has anyone in group Bought one yet and if so
    > > are you pleased with it or not
    Hi,

    I ordered mine from Dell. they have a %15 rebate and if you apply for
    their card you get an additional %2 off and no interest until 2006.
    Suppoosedly the camera will ship 12/8 or before.

    Can hardly wait because I too have an assortment of minolta lenses and
    the Anti Shake capability will let me use them without a tripod.
    I originally was looking at the Canon 20D but the IS lenses would have
    cost me a second mortgage on my house and since my hands are not quise
    as steady as they used to be in my youth, the anti shake is a must.
    Rosita Herrick Guest

  4. #4

    Do you have any xi style lenses and dothey work?

    SDW Guest

  5. #5

    SDW wrote:
    > Do you have any xi style lenses and dothey work?
    Sorry, I don't have any xi lenses...

    From the 7D manual:

    "LENS COMPATIBILITY

    All Konica Minolta AF lenses are compatible with this camera. MD and MC
    series lenses cannot be used. For our current line of lenses, contact
    your Konica Minolta dealer. The AF Macro Zoom 3X - 1X f/1.7-2.8 cannot
    be used with Anti-Shake (p. 32); turn Anti-Shake off. If a lens is
    equipped with a macro release, the release cannot be used with
    Anti-Shake. Focus range limiters set to a range that does not include
    infinity cannot be used. The focus range limiter on the SSM-series or
    D-series macro lenses can be used at any set range. Anti-Shake may not
    work with products made by another manufacturer."

    I did take the new toy on a four day vacation to Oregon last weekend,
    over 900 images at highest res and lowest compression (not RAW) and
    still didn't quite fill the 4GB microdrive. Other than some dust issues
    on the sensor (I need a better puff er), no problems other than
    those caused by the loose nut holding the shutter release...

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Harrington Guest

  6. #6

    Bob Harrington wrote:
    > I did take the new toy on a four day vacation to Oregon last weekend,
    > over 900 images at highest res and lowest compression (not RAW) and
    > still didn't quite fill the 4GB microdrive.
    Anything to post / comments on the shots posted / etc.

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]

  7. #7

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > Bob Harrington wrote:
    >
    >> I did take the new toy on a four day vacation to Oregon last weekend,
    >> over 900 images at highest res and lowest compression (not RAW) and
    >> still didn't quite fill the 4GB microdrive.
    >
    > Anything to post / comments on the shots posted / etc.
    Still slowly working through the images - I have really bad eyes, makes
    me rather slow on the reputer here.

    I was quite impressed by the image below, taken through the windshield
    from the passenger seat on the long drive - gives an idea of the
    anti-shake in action. Hand held with a Minolta 50mm (75mm effective)
    f/1.4 wide open, ISO 3200 and 1/8 sec. Other than the headlights, all
    illumination was provided by the nearly full moon, the sun having set
    over an hour earlier.

    Except for a pass through NoiseNinja and resampling, straight from the
    camera:

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~bobqatphotos/7D/2004-11-25_17-35-39.jpg[/url]

    What I thought at first to be sensor noise or reflections that just
    happened to look a lot like the Pleiades turned out to ~be~ the Pleiades
    when I checked with Starry Night Pro.

    (Full res crop)
    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~bobqatphotos/7D/2004-11-25_17-35-39_Crop.jpg[/url]

    (Starry Night Pro simulation)
    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~bobqatphotos/7D/2004-11-25_17-35-39_SNPro.jpg[/url]

    Otherwise, from just looking through the images, I am quite happy
    overall. The 7D seems to do a decent enough job with exposures and
    focusing, the exception being my Sigma 500mm f/7.2 APO that I just can't
    seem to get sharp images from - I'd been noticing this recently on my
    older Maxxum 9xi's as well, thinking something has been knocked askew
    inside the lens. My other interest is aviation photography, so I will
    need to get that fixed/replaced by next summer, durnit.

    The controls are intuitive enough even for my beleaguered brain cell,
    and the LCD panel display is big and bright enough that even I can use
    it quite easily, indoors or out. I did somehow unintentionally dial in
    +2 EV exposure compensation while stumbling over a snow drift up at
    Crater Lake - didn't notice it right away as I was busy freezing off
    important body parts and squinting into ing snow. Other than that,
    I do feel the 7D is a little better protected against inadvertent
    settings changes while brushing against clothing, etc. than my 9xi's
    were.

    A couple random shots from my neighborhood in Seattle:

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~bobqatphotos/7D/2004-11-21_Seattle.jpg[/url]
    Tokina 20~35mm f/3.5~4.5, ISO 200, 13 sec f/5.6

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~bobqatphotos/7D/2004-11-16_Sunset.jpg[/url]
    Tokina 20~35mm f/3.5~4.5, ISO 400, 1/125 sec f/9

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~bobqatphotos/7D/2004-11-19_Braniff.jpg[/url]
    My beastie Braniff, Tamron 35~105 f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/100 sec f/4
    using bounce lighting from my old Minolta 4000AF strobe. Alas, the
    4000AF does not talk to the 7D beyond firing when told to (and the
    auto-zoom head still seems to work correctly.) Thinking about one of
    Minolta's newer dedicated strobes, but for now it's easy enough just
    using trial and error with the instant feedback. Anybody know a good
    "Guide Numbers for Dummies" tutorial? ;^)

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Harrington Guest

  8. #8

    Reply to message from "Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAMblarg.net> (Sun, 05 Dec
    2004 11:09:16) about ""Re: Minolta Dyanx 7D Views"":

    Bye
    Marc De Cnop <>
    Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:36:11 +0200

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 Unregistered

    09:16 Subject: Re: Minolta Dyanx 7D Views

    SDW wrote:
    > Do you have any xi style lenses and dothey work?
    Sorry, I don't have any xi lenses...

    From the 7D manual:

[...]

    Marc De Cnop Guest

  9. #9

    Reply to message from "Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAMblarg.net> (Sun, 05 Dec
    2004 11:09:16) about ""Re: Minolta Dyanx 7D Views"":

    Bye
    Marc De Cnop <marc.decnopskynet.be> Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:37:00 +0200

    SDW wrote:
    > Do you have any xi style lenses and dothey work?
    Sorry, I don't have any xi lenses...

    From the 7D manual: