Professional Web Applications Themes

minus sign proportion to + sign in bold - Macromedia Freehand

Does anyone know how to make a minus sign that is proportional to a plus sign (+) in bold in Freehand?...

  1. #1

    Default minus sign proportion to + sign in bold

    Does anyone know how to make a minus sign that is proportional to a plus sign (+) in bold in Freehand?
    Weintraub Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: minus sign proportion to + sign in bold

    Not sure what you mean by proportionall but

    you can use spacing to change the horizontal attribute of a font
    or character - With the text selected, in the object properties
    box there is an icon that looks like dimensioning arrows.
    Normally it is 100 percent but you can change it to more or less.

    you can change the character to path in the menu bar under text.
    Then you can edit the minus sign as art.

    dp

    Weintraub wrote:
    > Does anyone know how to make a minus sign that is proportional to a plus sign (+) in bold in Freehand?
    D. Plank Guest

  3. #3

    I may be off base here, but I use an en-dash for a minus sign. It's a bit
    wider than a dash, and thinner than an em-dash. Obviously, it's the size of
    an "n" in a given font. Depending on the design of the font, the horizontal
    crossbar of the plus sign will line up with the en-dash. En-dashes are
    usually not as thick vertically as a regular dash, either, and again,
    depending on the font design it either matches the plus sign or it doesn't.
    If you're really critical about it, go for the graphic approach - draw the
    two symbols the way you want them and place them as inline graphics. You can
    keep them in the Symbols panel if you use them a lot.

    I don't know how to get there on a PC, but on a Mac, you hold down the
    Option key and hit the dash key for an en-dash, and Command+Option for the
    em-dash.

    Ron

    in article ceds7s$87h$1forums.macromedia.com, Weintraub at
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote on 7/30/04 12:15:
    > Does anyone know how to make a minus sign that is proportional to a plus sign
    > (+) in bold in Freehand?
    Ron Rockwell Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks. I frequently have to make this "+/-" It doesn't really matter what
    font it's in. The minus sign is not as wide as the plus sign and they don't
    line up. I often need to make it bolded. Is there any way to bold the Symbol
    font?

    Thanks.

    Weintraub Guest

  5. #5

    Have you considered using the "" symbol instead of "+/-"?
    On a PC, it's Alt+0177, on a Mac it's Option-Shift =

    Bill Schuhle

    "Weintraub" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how to make a minus sign that is proportional to a plus
    sign (+) in bold in Freehand?

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  6. #6

    Are you using the plus and minus signs as bullets or other decorative
    elements? If so, consider drawing them to the desired size and and pasting
    them into your table as inline graphics. See the Help files for 'inline
    graphics' if you're not sure how to do this.

    Judy Arndt

    Weintraub wrote:
    > Thanks. I frequently have to make this "+/-" It doesn't really matter what
    > font it's in. The minus sign is not as wide as the plus sign and they don't
    > line up. I often need to make it bolded. Is there any way to bold the Symbol
    > font?
    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Judy,

    Thanks for all of your help. If you are the photographer, your work is beautiful.

    Steve
    Weintraub Guest

  8. #8

    Weintraub wrote:
    > Judy,
    >
    > Thanks for all of your help. If you are the photographer, your work is
    > beautiful.
    You're welcome. Yes, the photos are mine. Thanks for the kind words. :-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest