The menu item "Acrobat" should now be added. Good luck! Katja [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <3bb39b39.8@webx.la2eafNXanI> [ref] => <3bb39b39.-1@webx.la2eafNXanI> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Katja_Mayer@adobeforums.com [ip] => Katja_Mayer@ado [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 12 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Missing Acrobat buttons in Word 2000 - Adobe Acrobat Windows
Professional Web Applications Themes

Missing Acrobat buttons in Word 2000 - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Can anyone help me please After removing and reinstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0 the Word 2000 acrobat buttons are missing! (on windows XP) They were there after I installed it the first time but for some reason I could not get the word pdf maker to work. It stopped with an error trying to print to the acrobat distiller on the final stage of the PDF create. To try and fix this I removed and reinstalled Acrobat but now the buttons do not even appear in Word! I have tried this twice but no luck. Any advice on how I can ...

  1. #1

    Default Missing Acrobat buttons in Word 2000

    Can anyone help me please

    After removing and reinstalling Adobe Acrobat 5.0 the Word 2000 acrobat buttons are missing! (on windows XP)

    They were there after I installed it the first time but for some reason I could not get the word pdf maker to work. It stopped with an error trying to print to the acrobat distiller on the final stage of the PDF create.

    To try and fix this I removed and reinstalled Acrobat but now the buttons do not even appear in Word! I have tried this twice but no luck.

    Any advice on how I can get them to reappear would be appreciated.

    Many thanks

    Michael
    Harrington_Michael@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Missing Acrobat buttons in Word 2000

    Have you updated to Acrobat 5.0.5?
    This fixed numerous Windows XP issues.
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1309>

    Good luck!
    Maxton_Stanley@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Maxton

    Yes I tried this but no luck

    Some how word the adobe updates for word will not work - but word had the buttons previously. I need to force word to re link to the adobe update maybe word thinks it does not need to. I am confused and ed off that I cannot create PDF's from word when I really need to.

    Thanks anyway

  4. #4

    You might try this: In Word go to Tools > Templates & Add-ins. If you see PDFMaker.dot in the list and it isn't checked, check it then quit and restart Word.
    Gary_A.@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Gary

    I tried that - it as listed but when I ticked it I got an error as it could not find the PDFmaker.dot file. So then I removed it and installed adobe acrobat again but to no avail.

    I have also re run the update 5.0.5

    where can I get this pdfmaker.dot? it is not in the adobe dir.

    I suppose I could remove word and re install all again.

  6. #6

    Michael,

    Try doing a Custom install of Acrobat 5 from your CD. Choose ONLY the PDFWriter and leave everything else unchecked. Proceed with the install. The PDFWriter is NOT installed during a Typical install and this is the macro that Word uses to create the pdf. You can also do a file/print and print to Distiller and should be able to create a pdf in this manner. If you are getting errors when you try to print to Distiller then do a Custom install choosing the PDFWriter and also check the Distiller elements as well. Good Luck.
    Gene_Hutton@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    No, no no. PDFWriter has nothing to do with PDFMaker. PDFWriter is an obsolete piece of s--- printer driver. PDFMaker is a set of Macros for the MS office applications.

    You can try doing a custom install and choosing PDFMaker however. Also, you can't get it anywhere. It's part of the Acrobat installation.
    Gary_A.@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Still no luck

    I have reinstalled PFDmaker only and restarted the pc but still no sign of the adobe buttons in word or the pdfmaker in the templates area.
    Harrington_Michael@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    What if it there is no PDFMaker.dot?

    <Gary_A.adobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > You might try this: In Word go to Tools > Templates & Add-ins. If you see
    PDFMaker.dot in the list and it isn't checked, check it then quit and
    restart Word.

    L. T. Portella Guest

  10. #10

    I am still getting nowhere with this

    I have reinstalled PDFmaker and PDFwriter - no good - and then installed the whole lot again. but I still cannot get word to recognise that I have these applications. There is no Adobe buttons or menu option. The strange thing is that it does not even seem to create PFDMaker.dot file.

    I managed to down load a pdfmaker.dot template but when I added it and clicked the adobe icon in word I got an error telling me I must first install PFDmaker and PDFdistiller . My word 2000 does not want to "see" that I have installed these applications.

    I have also run the updates adobe 5.0.*
    and did all this with my virus checking program off (just in case)

    Any ideas what I can try next?
    Harrington_Michael@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Ok this is how I cured the exact same problem. and I didn't use the
    acrobat update, works fine with Acrobat 5.0

    Step 1: Make sure Office xp is installed on your computer 1st then
    Acrobat 2nd

    Step 2 : Navigate to My Computer -Local Disc -Program Files -Adobe-
    Acrobat 5- PDF Maker- Then right click and Copy PDFMAKER Microsoft
    Word Template 128kb.

    Step 3 : Same again navigate to Program Files- Microsoft Office
    Folder- Office10- Startup- now paste your copy of PDFMAKER Microsoft
    Word Template in here.

    Its as easy as that.

    Oh yeah when you start up Word make sure - Tools- Templates and
    Add-Ins , that the PDFMaker.dot is ticked if the buttons dont show
    straight away.

    [email]Harrington_Michaeladobeforums.com[/email] wrote in message news:<3bb39b39.7webx.la2eafNXanI>...
    > I am still getting nowhere with this
    >
    > I have reinstalled PDFmaker and PDFwriter - no good - and then installed the whole lot again. but I still cannot get word to recognise that I have these applications. There is no Adobe buttons or menu option. The strange thing is that it does not even seem to create PFDMaker.dot file.
    >
    > I managed to down load a pdfmaker.dot template but when I added it and clicked the adobe icon in word I got an error telling me I must first install PFDmaker and PDFdistiller . My word 2000 does not want to "see" that I have installed these applications.
    >
    > I have also run the updates adobe 5.0.*
    > and did all this with my virus checking program off (just in case)
    >
    > Any ideas what I can try next?
    javatiger Guest

  12. #12

    Hi Michael,

    I'm sure that Gary's answer is the right one. Here is a more detailed description of how to proceed:

    1. Start MS Word.
    2. Click on "Templates and Add-Ins".
    3. Click on the button "Add".
    4. Choose the file "PDFMaker.dot".
    (usually located under C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat\PDFMaker)
    5. Confirm your choice by clicking on the button "OK" (twice).

    Katja_Mayer@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Katja

    I tried all sorts and also your advice above - but no good

    But it has worked now as I went from word 2000 to word 2002 and I now have all my acrobat buttons

    Thanks to all who helped me

  14. #14

    For all those with PDFMaker5 problems in MS Word, I have just spent
    the past 9 hours trouble-shooting this problem on 2 computers and I
    believe I have the answer.

    My setup:
    WindowsXP SP1
    Office XP SP1
    Acrobat 5.0.5

    The issue:
    Acrobat and/or PDFMaker tool buttons missing from Word menu
    Word may crash on exit and/or start-up

    The cause:
    PDFMaker add-in corrupts the global template (normal.dot)
    This nearly always happens if you move the Acrobat menu item from its
    default position to the right of Help to another position (eg. between
    Tools and Table) or you customise the menu in any way.

    The fix:
    rename your global normal.dot to old_normal.dot
    Start MS Word, it will create a new normal.dot
    Ensure PDFMaker Add-in is loaded
    Go to Tools => Templates and Add-ins => Organizer
    Copy from old_normal.dot to normal.dot any Styles, Autotexts etc..
    Delete old_normal.dot

    Also, disable Word as your mail editor in MS Outlook or else start
    Outlook after Word.

    I have submitted this info to Adobe's bug reporting web page.
    Alex Bailey Guest