Professional Web Applications Themes

missing cast members - Macromedia Director Basics

For some reason i am intermittantly losing all my cast members. When i open a .dir all the cast members are there, but they have somehow lost their content - eg: a vector shape will lose its fill colour & so is invisible on the stage & i have to open the shape & re-fill it. Similar with text - the text is just gone & i have to re-type it, set the font & size etc. All the score is present & correct. Luckily this prob has only happened after a few hours of tinkering rather than at the ...

  1. #1

    Default missing cast members

    For some reason i am intermittantly losing all my cast members.

    When i open a .dir all the cast members are there, but they have somehow lost their content - eg: a vector shape will lose its fill colour & so is invisible on the stage & i have to open the shape & re-fill it.
    Similar with text - the text is just gone & i have to re-type it, set the font & size etc.

    All the score is present & correct.

    Luckily this prob has only happened after a few hours of tinkering rather than at the end of a month long project - but it's very worrying.
    The movie seems ok while i'm working on it, but if i save, close dir, shutdown & then open the file the next day - everything is gone.
    I've tried to re-create the problem - but it only seems to randomly happen.

    Any ideas?
    Should i just re-install? or am i just missing something obvious?

    Thanks guys,
    Paul

    paul@ash webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: missing cast members

    > Should i just re-install?

    Seems like a good idea. And don't forget to apply any relevant update.
    Director version? Platform? One .dir (it may be corrupted) or all .dir files?

    Andrew
    Andrew Morton Guest

  3. #3

    Several of my students have had this problem as well, usually when taking their
    ..dir files burned on CD on a PC to Mac running OSX, but today I had two
    students, both using thumb drives, who had this issue. I made sure they had
    copied the original file to the desktop so they weren't opening it off the
    external media, made sure they had used the .dir extension (just covering all
    the bases...), and both had completely correct scores, but all graphic objects
    in the cast and on the stage were missing. One student had everything in the
    cast ok until we tried to open the individual cast member in the paint window
    -- they were missing/white there as well as on the stage. It seems to be
    happening more frequently, and I'm afraid that students will lose their entire
    projects, and I'm not sure what to tell them to do to stop this from
    happening...any ideas?

    We're using MX (not 2004), on boxes running Panther (but it happened on Jaguar
    also). Most of the students are running on PC MX or MX2004 at home. Most of
    their graphics are imported as 16 bit PICT or 32 bit PNG files, some JPGs as
    well. We've also had issues with PNGs with transparency coming in with
    distortions and/or garbage around them that isn't always visible on the cast
    member, only when it's on the stage. HELP!

    klinqueen Guest

  4. #4

    The first question that comes to mind, are the students linking images
    as external linked files, lesving the external files behind?

    Most commonly distorted edges are caused by graphics produced with
    'smoothing' pain tools producing an antialias to white background 'halo'
    that shows on the stage when matte ink is used. Importing 32 bit
    graphics with embedded alpha channel often fixes this. The member "use
    alpha channel" checkbox is enabled if an alpha chanel is present.
    JB Guest

  5. #5

    go to the message window and see that the filename is of your castlib

    put castlib(1).filename

    See if you're getting a void or something strange like that.
    Judy

    "klinqueen" <com> wrote in message
    their
    had
    all
    objects
    the
    window
    entire
    Jaguar
    of
    as
    cast

    JPrice Guest

  6. #6

    No, they are not using multiple casts or external linking. It's a situation of
    one minute everything's there and working, and the very next time (some times
    in a matter of minutes) they open the file, everything that is a graphic is
    missing! I've examined the files with a fine tooth comb trying to figure it
    out, even trying to open the files on multiple boxes, copying them to the hard
    drive rather than reading them from a CD or thumb drive, and nothing seems to
    make any difference.

    Regarding the other situation, the .pngs are imported at 32bit, saved with
    automatic alpha channels based on transparency from Photoshop (file/save as,
    not as a "save for web" .png). The images look just fine on the stage, it's
    just in the paint window that they're all ed up.

    The disappearing cast members is the most troubling situation, and there
    doesn't seem to be any consistency in what the students are doing that could be
    causing this.

    klinqueen Guest

  7. #7

    There is a stage in progressive ram starvation that director fails to
    render some sprites to stage, you could use the memory inspector to
    monitor that, if it's the cause try the unload command.

    Yea te paint window ignores the alpha channel of an image, even
    director's own 32 alpha channel image generation (using
    member(textMember).image ) gives solid colors when viewed in paint
    window but fine on stage.
    JB Guest