Professional Web Applications Themes

Missing font is not replaceable for some reason - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I can't seem to replace a missing font with another font. The option is greyed out and all I can do is press the "done" button. Here is the message that I get every time I open my file: "The doent 'filename' uses one or more fonts which are not currently available on your system. The text will use a substitute font until the original font becomes available." The font that it is asking for is "Times New Roman PS MT." I don't have this font and nor, as I've said, will the software let me replace it with ...

  1. #1

    Default Missing font is not replaceable for some reason

    Hi,
    I can't seem to replace a missing font with another font. The option is greyed out and all I can do is press the "done" button.

    Here is the message that I get every time I open my file:
    "The doent 'filename' uses one or more fonts which are not currently available on your system. The text will use a substitute font until the original font becomes available."

    The font that it is asking for is "Times New Roman PS MT."
    I don't have this font and nor, as I've said, will the software let me replace it with something else. I don't know what to do. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Tracy_Hutton@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Could it be this font is part of a placed file? The icon in Find Font will
    indicate this.

    Larry
    ,

    Larry_Grohman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Larry,
    I've just found the problem. I had some true type Times Roman on my system. It probably came from Corel software and so I tried turning it off in ATM. Everything is working fine now. I'm not getting the missing font message anymore.

  4. #4

    Tracy

    This 'PS MT' issue has been discussed many times before on this and other Adobe user forums. I can't recall what the prevailing theory is. For some reason Adobe products insist on naming good old Times New Roman as 'Times New Roman PS MT'. Some users have suggested why, but on the rare occasions I have used TNR in InDesign or Illustrator, I just go with the flow and select it. You didn't say whether you actually had a missing font in your doent or whether you were simply getting a meaningless missing font message. I suspect the latter.

    I have over the years reported a number of instances of Adobe programs naming some fonts differently from all other Windows programs. I can't think of an example at the moment (Futura is a possibility), but I can remember that it annoyed me greatly at the time. The situation would be that in, say, QuarkXPress that a font would be displaying and printing in body text on a page but the very same font in an Illustrator EPS graphic on the same page would be reported as missing when printing, simply because Adobe was going it alone with a slightly different font name. Fortunately this seems to be a thing of the past, but perhaps I have been lucky because I haven't used one of these differently named fonts recently.
    Tony_Stuart@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Tony,
    Thank you for your explanation.