Professional Web Applications Themes

Missing fonts that aren't missing - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have ID CS and am trying to merge a doent from a colleague. He used "Times New Roman" as a font. It comes up as missing on my system. My similar style uses "Times New Roman PS MT". Every other application on my system sees "Times New Roman", but Adobe apps are hung up on this PS MT variation. They even seem to refer to the same file! That is, there is only one TNR on my system, in the Windows/Fonts directory. I have searched this forum, and this seems to be common enough, but I haven't seen any ...

  1. #1

    Default Missing fonts that aren't missing

    I have ID CS and am trying to merge a doent from a colleague. He used "Times New Roman" as a font. It comes up as missing on my system. My similar style uses "Times New Roman PS MT". Every other application on my system sees "Times New Roman", but Adobe apps are hung up on this PS MT variation. They even seem to refer to the same file! That is, there is only one TNR on my system, in the Windows/Fonts directory.

    I have searched this forum, and this seems to be common enough, but I haven't seen any explanation nor remedy. Is there a definitive answer on this?

    Yes, I could find font and change all of the other files' Times New Roman to Times New Roman PS MT, (and of course all the other variations), but this seems pretty silly to do every time we share a file. Surely Adobe has this figured out better than this nonsense.
    Jack_Gregory@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Missing fonts that aren't missing

    I have learned some things since my last post. Since others may search for this topic, I am adding this for completeness.

    There are no less than 3 places where InDesign CS (3.0) gets fonts from on Windows XP:

    1. Windows/Fonts
    2. <installdir>/InDesign CS/fonts
    3. Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Fonts

    It turns out that the latter one is where the "Times New Roman PS MT" font is coming from, in a series of files that inexplicably start with _e, such as _er____.pfm. Talk about obscurity. Then the directory is a little strange too. The full path is
    Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\Base\PFM

    Now there appears to be a bug, or at least a lie, in the InDesign program, because when you get the info on the font, it points you to the Windows/Fonts/TIMES.TTF file, not the actual one. If you open each in the Windows Font Viewer, you can see that only the PFM one calls itself "Times New Roman PS MT".

    So, getting back to my problem. An .indd file from my buddy opens with "Missing Fonts". Fonts that are not missing at all, but are somehow made invisible by the Common Files/Adobe entry.

    My initial idea to fix this problem was to simply move the PFM stuff out of there. But the "Reqrd" name has me thinking I might just break something if I do that. So I am seeking more information and ideas, if anyone has 'em.
    Jack_Gregory@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Jack

    I have the same problem too, with the Arial Black Italic (TT font) (maybe in a different way). When I use this font in Illustrator (both 10 & CS versions) - no problem, it shows up and prints okay. But with InDesign CS, when I open the doent the "Missing Font" dialog appears at the start-up, stating that this particular font is missing (I just hit okay to ignore it) and yet it shows & prints okay, anyway, even after I export to pdf, it still shows and print okay. I admit I'm confused and I might be missing something. I'm using InDesign CS on Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 3.
    One more thing, I've used (& still have InDesign 2.0.2) and I never have the annoying font problems with this earlier version. Open Type & True Type font shows up (and prints ok) together in the same doent. Go figure. Thanks for any helpful ideas, hints or wisdom, etc.
    David_Cripe@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm having the same problem with Arial Black Italic. I just sent a job to
    the printer and it looks like everything printed okay, but it's irritating
    nonetheless.

    I found some info here that didn't help me:

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1dd16.htm[/url]

    Maybe it will work on your Win 2000 system. I'm running XP.

    <David_Cripeadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Jack
    >
    > I have the same problem too, with the Arial Black Italic (TT font) (maybe
    in a different way). When I use this font in Illustrator (both 10 & CS
    versions) - no problem, it shows up and prints okay. But with InDesign CS,
    when I open the doent the "Missing Font" dialog appears at the start-up,
    stating that this particular font is missing (I just hit okay to ignore it)
    and yet it shows & prints okay, anyway, even after I export to pdf, it still
    shows and print okay. I admit I'm confused and I might be missing something.
    I'm using InDesign CS on Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 3.
    > One more thing, I've used (& still have InDesign 2.0.2) and I never have
    the annoying font problems with this earlier version. Open Type & True Type
    font shows up (and prints ok) together in the same doent. Go figure.
    Thanks for any helpful ideas, hints or wisdom, etc.

    iforte Guest

  5. #5

    Hmmm, I am having a problem with InDesign saying that 'ITC Garmond Bold' is not available...

    maybe it's a name thing; but, in the Font folder (XP) I have:

    Garmond ITC Bold BT (TrueType)

    Isn't that the same as what InDesign is looking for? If so, how do I get InDesign to recognize it?

    Sign Me Confused,

    Tom

    Thanks
    Thomas_Porter@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    IME, this happens most often when I have multiple instances of the font name
    installed - i.e., Cuteytype by Bitstream, Cuteytype by Monotype, Cuteytype
    by Adobe, in OpenType, Truetype or Type 1 versions; or when a font has been
    used in a PDF created on a different platform.

    Using a font manager solves the first problem - you can disable the
    instances you don't want. I don't know how you solve the second problem, but
    an old Pagemaker kludge sometimes works for me: set a line of type in the
    face(s) you need underneath an opaque graphic - so that it is invisible. I
    sometimes set a word or two in paper color outside the print area. Often
    this tricks Indesign into accepting that as the font needed. (It could, I
    suppose, mess up the kerning on the placed PDF.)

    Peggy

    Peggy_Coquet@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Peggy, I'll give your ideas a try - I looked at a Font Manager (ATM since we are in and using adobe products) and with XP and XP Pro it didn't seem I needed or would gain much of anything by having -according to what I read...
    (but, it's obvious, something is needed)

    Again, Thanks for Posting Peggy - always appreciate your input.

    Tom
    Thomas_Porter@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Cool Re: Missing fonts that aren't missing

    I had the same problem with pre-flighting in InDesign CS4 with such common fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman. They all seemed to originate from a PDF file which I placed on my ID doent. I use Win 7 and the source of the file used a different version of Windows. Anyway, I tried Adobe Distiller and this seems to have solved the problem. I went to Settings on the Menu, clicked on Edit Adobe PDF Settings and went inside the Fonts folder. I selected all the troublesome fonts and their variations and added them in the Embed box (they were included in the Don't Embed box by the way). I saved the settings and was able to Package my file with no more errors. I hope this helps. =)
    rylalgarra Guest