Professional Web Applications Themes

Missing models in 3dMax exported W3D - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, I am very new to Director (1 week) and have come up against a small problem. I have created a model in 3ds Max and exported it as W3D file. This imports into Director and is visually intact, but when trying to access some of the components in the model, there are some missing. It appears that Director will give access to the base models in the cast member but not to any child models. For example, I created two simple boxes in Max and linked one to the other, thus making it a child. When imported into Director ...

  1. #1

    Default Missing models in 3dMax exported W3D

    Hi,
    I am very new to Director (1 week) and have come up against a small problem. I
    have created a model in 3ds Max and exported it as W3D file. This imports into
    Director and is visually intact, but when trying to access some of the
    components in the model, there are some missing. It appears that Director will
    give access to the base models in the cast member but not to any child models.
    For example, I created two simple boxes in Max and linked one to the other,
    thus making it a child. When imported into Director you can visually see both
    boxes, but the child box does not appear in the list of models in the cast
    member. Strangley, if you move the first box in Director, it also moves its
    child box as it should.

    Anybody have any ideas??

    Cheers

    DunkCM

    DunkCM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Missing models in 3dMax exported W3D

    [q]Originally posted by: DunkCM
    I am very new to Director (1 week) and have come up against a small problem. I
    have created a model in 3ds Max and exported it as W3D file. This imports into
    Director and is visually intact, but when trying to access some of the
    components in the model, there are some missing. It appears that Director will
    give access to the base models in the cast member but not to any child models.
    For example, I created two simple boxes in Max and linked one to the other,
    thus making it a child. When imported into Director you can visually see both
    boxes, but the child box does not appear in the list of models in the cast
    member. Strangley, if you move the first box in Director, it also moves its
    child box as it should. [/q]

    Hi and welcome,

    All the 3DSMax groups and linked models are exported as a unique model.
    You need to ungroup or detach them in 3DSMax and to export them as separate
    models.
    Later, in Director you can group them and you can create the parent-child
    relationship.

    have a nice day

    AlinaX Guest

  3. #3

    I think that the model list property only shows models that are child of the
    group "world". In order to access to model's chids use the "child" property of
    the model.

    member(whichCastmember).model(whichParentNode).chi ld(whichChildNodeName)
    member(whichCastmember).model(whichParentNode).chi ld[index]

    Luck.

    ensamblador Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks, I will give that a try.