Professional Web Applications Themes

Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA - Macromedia Shockwave

A client is trying to use the British Museum website: [url]http://www.mesopotamia.co.uk/geography/challenge/cha_set.html[/url] The shockwave applet halfway down gives the following error: Missing shockwave decompression XTRA. I have installed the latest version of Shockwave from the Adobe website. Adobe website doesn't seem to have anything helpful in this regard. Can anyone advise? L...

  1. #1

    Default Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA

    A client is trying to use the British Museum website:

    [url]http://www.mesopotamia.co.uk/geography/challenge/cha_set.html[/url]

    The shockwave applet halfway down gives the following error:
    Missing shockwave decompression XTRA.
    I have installed the latest version of Shockwave from the Adobe website.
    Adobe website doesn't seem to have anything helpful in this regard.
    Can anyone advise?

    Grinning Fool Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA

    You need to make sure that you download the Shockwave Player FULL, not SLIM,
    because slim doesn't download the XTRA. Try this website:

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/[/url]

    Pick the one for your browser and computer. Uninstall the Shockwave Player
    that you have right now, and re-install a FULL version. I did this because I
    had the same problem, and it worked.

    God bless!

    karova32 Guest

  3. #3

    thanks kereva32! much appreciated
    kidkart Guest

  4. #4

    This error when using Shockwave Player has been around since version 7 but the
    only advice from Adobe is to upgrade to a newer version of Player. Well I just
    downloaded version 11 and the error is still present with the following test
    site:
    [url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/murder/index.html[/url]

    I'm using SeaMonkey 1.1.10 and the Adobe file sockwave_installer_slim.exe
    correctly installed the plug-in which is shown as active. I've gone to the
    Adobe test site and it indicates that the Shockwave plug-in was correctly
    installed. However, the test site given above always gives the "missing xtra"
    error.

    On my WinXP system, there is the following directory:
    windows\system32\adobe\shockwave 11\xtras . The number of xtras actually in
    this directory are limited but it does contain the file, autodownload.txt .
    This text file contains the url for obtaining needed but missing xtras from the
    following site:
    [url]http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave11/xtras[/url]
    However this site does not seem to exist! All attempts to get to this site
    [url]http://download.macromedia.com[/url] result in "The requested URL / was not found on
    this server."

    This is a major bug with Shockwave. I've tried to report this to Adobe but
    Adobe does not seem to care unless you have purchased a product or a service
    contract. What can be done to correct this missing xtra problem?

    RobertGault Guest

  5. #5

    I am having the same problem and have tried downloading the full version of
    Player with 36 included xtras. I am still getting the missing shockwave
    decompression xtra at the site given by Grinning Fool. I also get the message at
    [url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/game.html[/url] when I select one of the mysteries
    to play.

    I'm using a WinXP Home SP2 system and tried both I.E.6 and SeaMonkey 1.1.10 as
    browsers with Shockwave Player 11.0.0.465. On WinXP, installation of Player
    puts the xtra info in Window\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras but I have also
    copied the information to
    Doents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\Adobe\Shockwave Player
    11\Xtras
    to no avail.

    So, what is left to try? Adobe support is useless unless you buy a product or
    purchase service. There are no solutions on the Internet that work. Adobe
    knowledge base just suggests getting the current version of player and that
    clearly does not work.

    RobertGault Guest

  6. #6

    The "Shockwave Xtra installer" on [url]http://www.platoweb.com/Wasatch/preload.asp[/url]
    seemed to cause Shockwave to download the Xtras from download.macromedia.com.
    After running the installer, and saying yes to all the prompts, the test site
    that you linked to seemed to work properly with no error messages.
    I am using Shockwave 11, Firefox 3, and Windows XP SP3

    bnrup Guest

  7. #7

    download SWADCMPR.X32 @
    [url]http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr03-193/cd_files/Xtras/?C=S;O=D[/url]
    then copy the file and paste to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras
    note: must have shockwave installed

    kix_ko Guest

  9. #9

    bnrup's solution above works but....
    i found the installer on that site he mentions to be quite finnicky. i had to:

    - first uninstall any previous shockwave,
    - reboot,
    - test browser,
    - close browser,
    - install the FULL shockwave installer (hard to find item),
    - test browser
    - reboot
    - goto the xtras install link he provides
    - wait for shockwave screen to finish loading
    - watch for pointer to go to hourglass
    - wait for hourglass to return to pointer
    - wait and additional 10 seconds or more to be sure it was really done
    - then refresh that page to start the process of downloading, installing xtras
    - wait for dialog box asking to install and sometimes that box pops up behind
    the browser
    - press "install"
    - wait, find, press install four more times
    - on success message box click ok
    - press Done button on the current page
    - on confirmation press Yes which kills the browser
    - restart browser
    - verify xtras functionality on the test site of ur choice
    - breathe sigh of relief that its finally working
    - cuss abobe and microsoft for releasing buggy products and not providing
    support

    i found that any deviation from the above steps could cause the Xtras
    installation to fail. i ended up using a disk imaging tool to facilitate going
    through multiple iterations on the above process to finally perfect it and
    confirm its repeatability. hence the step cussing adobe. s.

    a test site i used to verify Xtras is
    [url]http://www.osclajolla.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=services.disc[/url] one.
    the pbs.org test site RobertGault mentions works ok for me now too.

    hope this post will help somebody NOT to have to waste as much time as i had
    to in order to get a working solution. thanks a lot adobe! donkies!

    real thanks to bnrup for that link, i tried to find an alternate source for
    that but couldnt find anything even close. so were it not for the efforts of
    bnrup i would still be AFU.

    THANKS bnrup!!!!!!!!!

    spookpilot Guest

  10. #10

    [q]Originally posted by: kix_ko
    download SWADCMPR.X32 @
    [url]http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr03-193/cd_files/Xtras/?C=S;O=D[/url]
    then copy the file and paste to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras
    note: must have shockwave installed[/q]

    i tried that, but got an error code and debug-information. do you know why?

    _ _ _ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ _ __

    :light; [url]http://www.toolbe.com[/url] :heart; [url]http://blogono.com[/url] :music;
    [url]http://www.rockmyspace.info[/url] :clock; [url]http://www.hostingtops.com[/url]

    blogono Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks bnrup Installer work Great
    Thanks again
    marsh3595 Guest

  12. #12

    All,

    I used the file given by kix_ko and installed the file in both the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras & C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave11\Xtras and it fixed the problem.
    tj41673 Guest

  13. #13

    :tounge;:wine;
    well there is no audio rendering!
    What..,?
    biko5a Guest

  14. #14

    Alternates link above gives slim version regardless. Get Shockwave full 9.2M
    install not slim one from adobe as found here: [url]http://tiny.pl/bktg[/url] ;

    then all the nice Xtras are installed into system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras
    ; copy them all to system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras do not overwrite
    existing six files. restart. sorted.

    this is also nice shockwave audio test:
    [url]http://www.do-not-zzz.com/powerd/index.html[/url]

    cheers!

    pszczolamorska Guest

  15. #15

    When you go to download; pick the link referring to "different browser"; you'll
    get the opportunity to pick the full version there after detailing your OS and
    language, though I haven't tried all combinations of listbox selections. It
    solved my problem. Be aware for Win2k users that there's a disclaimer about
    this version being unsupported, but it's working fine for me so far.

    zeromaster58 Guest

  16. #16

    Smile Re: Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA

    It's work.....download SWADCMPR.X32 @
    [url]http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr03-1...Xtras/?C=S;O=D[/url]
    but I'm copy the file and paste to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras
    note: must have shockwave installed. Thank's
    ardhian Guest

  17. #17

    Thank you!!! This is the only thing that seems to work.

    on [url]http://www.platoweb.com/Wasatch/preload.asp[/url]
    seemed to cause Shockwave to download the Xtras from download.macromedia.com.
    After running the installer, and saying yes to all the prompts, the test site
    that you linked to seemed to work properly with no error messages.
    I am using Shockwave 11, Firefox 3, and Windows XP SP3[/QUOTE]
    Taffy Guest

  18. #18

    Go here, I have it all explained, just follow the link. :)

    [url]http://teacherweb.com/CA/ClaytonValleyHighSchool/MrCambier/links1.aspx[/url]
    MrC
    MrC is offline Junior Member
    Oct 2010