Professional Web Applications Themes

missing txt URGENT Help NEEDED??????? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Somebody might just want to mention copyright and licensing issues when copying fonts from one machine to another. k...

  1. #61

    Default Re: missing txt URGENT Help NEEDED???????

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #62

    ok,

    thought copyright and licesning would get a mention

    thanks

    ben
    benluke@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #63

    So where would be a good place to get hold of fonts for my computer without touching copyright and licensing issues.

    As i only have 60 on my system at home and somebody mentioned 3000 i think i need to start building mine up

  4. #64

    A passing thought - I seem to remember when I installed IDCS it created a fonts folder in C:/program files/adobe/Indesign CS/fonts, and there was some font weirdnesses before I moved the various font out of there and into the Windows fonts folder. No probs since. Maybe ID is looking in the wrong place for the fonts.

    Good luck
    Alastair_Bruce@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #65

    alastair

    also have

    C:/program files/adobe/Indesign CS/fonts. there is nothin in this folder.

    and also have

    C:\Program Files\Adobe\InDesign CS\Required\Fonts which has the following in:
    AdobeFnt07.lst
    KentenGeneric.open type font file
    ZX______.PFB
    ZX______type 1 font file
    ZX______ media clip

    Saying this. There is no problems viewing and printing in IDCS, its just when exporting to pdf

    thoughts anybody....

  6. #66

    Ben,

    There is a strong probability that the font being used to view the PDF is not the same font as is being used to create it.

    You seem to know where your fonts are now, so look and see if you have Arial in both places (some for Times New Roman). If so, that is almost certainly the cause of the specific problems you're describing.

    If that's not the case, then there's something else distinctly nasty going on. The Word file you sent me doesn't appear to have any special characters at all at the point where the PDF goes wrong. If I recall correctly, the character sequence is "d s". In the PDF, the "s" and a whole bunch of characters thereafter are being replaced by a single box. When I copied and pasted that out of Acrobat into a text editor, it turned into a (the yen character).

    When I see this my confidence that this is a font problem diminishes some. Could it be some other export problem. The only one I know of that comes close is the problem with ellipsis characters in TOCs when you have "eBook Tags" activated in the export dialog.

    You might try de-activating that option when you export the PDF to see if the problem goes away.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #67

    Dave,

    I will get back to you on this as off out for a few hours. Will let you know how i get on.

  8. #68

    benluke

    Waaay back in message 27 I asked a few questions which I don't feel were answered properly. You seem desperate for help but before I answer your question I need to see the whole picture. I don't want to tell you what you need to do if it isn't what I "think" you are experiencing.

    I think what you are saying is you have a Microsoft Word file with text written in a different language (I'm not even clear if it's another language you are working with or not) and you take the text by highlighting it with the cursor, you copy and paste it into ID.

    If you are working with another language please let us know.

    Then you say "I change font from Times to Arial". This is where I get lost. Why are you changing the font to Arial? Is that what you want to use in the finished product (PDF)?

    I export for pdf

    Are you clicking File>Export then going to PDF or are you clicking File>Print and printing to PDF?

    lines of text are missing and replaced by small boxes.

    Ok, I understand this part but is the the entire line replaced or is it only a few characters in the lines.

    Let's go back to message 27:

    I have tried using different fonts but having the same problem.

    Which fonts exactly? I need names and types of fonts.

    Really starting to F**k me off. Pardon my French

    I know what you mean, I went through the same thing months ago when I couldn't get a Czech doent to to print from InDesign but it would print fine from MS-Word.

    I have just changed the font to "Tw Cen MT" not a font ive used b4 and
    it is working but i would still like to solve this problem. As this font
    is not the font i want for this job. What font do you want to use?

    Copied into ID, exported to pdf = No problems

    Did you solve your problem now?

    ____

    Obviously you didn't solve the problem. I had to leave for the day so I didn't respond to you before.

    So, are you trying to use Arial?

    I suspect I have the answer to your problem but now I'm not so sure since you said "lines of text are missing and replaced by small boxes" not characters.

    BTW, I did notice the info in the O/P says "90% of the txt shows fine but odd bits are simply missing". It's very important for me to know if it's the entire line that is missing or if it's special characters (Glyphs) that are replaced or missing.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #69

    I am going to be leaving in an hour. If you want to ask me about this, please be patient, you will not get a response for the next 17 hours.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #70

    OH MY GOD!!!

    AT LAST, DAVE YOU HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM.;0 :)

    YOU HAVE MADE A TIRED, STRESSED YOUNG MAN EXTREMELY HAPPY.

    AS SOON AS YOU MENTIONED DEACTIVATING THE "E BOOK" TAGS ALARM BELLS RANG.

    AND YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!! GOD DAM IT

    AFTER ALL THAT PI**ING AROUND - A SIMPLE LEFT CLICK OF THE MOUSE BUTTON AND ALL IS WELL!!!!

    GOOD NIGHT, IM OFF TO GET SOME SLEEP

    THANKS FOR EVERYBODYS HELP AND ADVICE

    THANK YOU DAVE.

    MUST SAY I DO FEEL A BIT STUPID THAT IT WAS SOMETHING SO SIMPLE!!!!!

    GOD BLESS
    benluke@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #71

    MUST SAY I DO FEEL A BIT STUPID THAT IT WAS SOMETHING SO SIMPLE!!!!!

    It always is something simple. The hard part is finding out where that simple little setting is.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #72

    Not that simple, seems to me. But I'm glad I finally nailed it.

    Be careful you don't strain your voice with all that shouting. <grin>

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234