Professional Web Applications Themes

mixers and tints in Freehand MX - Macromedia Freehand

I recently sent a file to local printer who has never had a problem before. When he opens my doent and tries to seperate colors, all of the tints separate also. He has MX over there, but not the 11.01 version. He mentiones he can correct by going to Lens Effect and using the slider, but I can't find the Lens Effect on my Freehand MX anywhere. Has anyone ever had this problem. How do I get my tints to not become separate colors for commercial printer?:confused;...

  1. #1

    Default mixers and tints in Freehand MX

    I recently sent a file to local printer who has never had a problem before.
    When he opens my doent and tries to seperate colors, all of the tints
    separate also. He has MX over there, but not the 11.01 version.

    He mentiones he can correct by going to Lens Effect and using the slider, but
    I can't find the Lens Effect on my Freehand MX anywhere. Has anyone ever had
    this problem. How do I get my tints to not become separate colors for
    commercial printer?:confused;

    Loyd1957 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mixers and tints in Freehand MX

    Loyd1957 wrote:

    Are you using spot inks or CMYK inks? Are the tints made from spot inks
    using the Tints mixer?

    If you used a lens fill on a spot color it would convert the area under the
    lens fill to CMYK upon output. (Find the lens fills in the object inspector
    under Fill/Lens.)

    Also any Raster Effect such as drop shadow will convert to RGB and then
    CMYK. You cannot use them for spot inks output, and they are not advisable
    for CMYK work because the results are unpredictable and often disappointing.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    I have always used the same mixers and tints pallette. I am using spot colors
    and click on the screen percentage I need, then add to color pallette.

    The lens fill I find has to do with transparency, invert, lighter, darker,
    etc. I used the transparency slider to see if that would work. The graphics
    person at the printer said he could use the lens fill on an eps and it wouldn't
    change to CMYK, but if he did it on the Freehand MX it would change to CMYK. I
    need to keep it RGB as it is not a full color job.

    So, does the mixers and tints not work on Freehand MX anymore? And why do
    they have it on there then?

    Loyd1957 Guest

  4. #4

    Loyd1957 wrote:

    No, as always, using the Tints mixer is the correct way to create tints of
    spot inks. It works fine in FHMX. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

    Are you sure that your spot inks are named colors and that you have made
    them *spot* colors? Use the pop-up menu on the Swatches panel to set a color
    to spot. If it's not spot, it won't separate to spot plates.

    Are you trying to overprint one spot tint with another? That can be
    controlled with overprint settings.

    Are you sure you haven't used an RGB Raster Effect on any object in the
    doent? You cannot use the transparency effect or transparency lens fill
    in spot ink work. It's a big no-no.

    The output problems may not be your fault. I have no idea why the person at
    the print shop would be fiddling with a transparency slider. Is this person
    experienced at printing from FH? Does he understand that the transparency
    effect and transparency lens fill convert spot inks to CMYK?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    He was trying to correct the problem so I could get the job printed. I have
    been using Freehand MX for awhile and it never did this before. All of a
    sudden, the spot tints are coming out as separate colors when they separate for
    printing. He said that was the only way he could try and get the output to not
    separate the tints into different plates.

    I still don't know what the problem is with Freehand MX. Maybe it is only
    this job. It has a glitch or something. I don't have a postscript printer so
    I can check on separations.

    Loyd1957 Guest

  6. #6

    Loyd1957 wrote:

    You don't need a Postscript printer if you have Acrobat Pro 6/Distiller or
    later. You can print from FH to a Postscript file, distill and use
    Separation Preview to check if colors are separating to the correct plates.

    If you'd like to send me the file, I'll take a look and see if the problem
    lies in the file.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest