Professional Web Applications Themes

MM, Intel, Discreet and the future of Web3D - Macromedia Director 3D

Well I just found this on Discreet's website, though it may be old news to everyone else - Discreet has discontinued Plasma(quote below). Any thoughts on this? I know 3D is still supported with Max 6, but Plasma was a Director/Flash specific tool, and to see it go makes me think Discreet is going the way of Intel...another distance partner with little to no involement in Director's 3D future. Lorax ***quote*** Discreet has taken the decision to discontinue development of plasma, effective immediately. Plasma will be discontinued for sale as of August 31, 2004. Discreet remains firmly committed to the ...

  1. #1

    Default MM, Intel, Discreet and the future of Web3D

    Well I just found this on Discreet's website, though it may be old news to
    everyone else - Discreet has discontinued Plasma(quote below).

    Any thoughts on this?

    I know 3D is still supported with Max 6, but Plasma was a Director/Flash
    specific tool, and to see it go makes me think Discreet is going the way of
    Intel...another distance partner with little to no involement in Director's 3D
    future.

    Lorax

    ***quote***
    Discreet has taken the decision to discontinue development of plasma,
    effective immediately. Plasma will be discontinued for sale as of August 31,
    2004.
    Discreet remains firmly committed to the belief that the mass consumption of
    advanced 3D on the Web is only a matter of time. We fully intend to have
    specific tools available to service this requirement as the Web evolves.
    Meanwhile, existing Discreet products such as 3ds max are easily capable of
    supporting the most sophisticated Web 3D content demands today.
    ***quote***

    Lorax2003 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MM, Intel, Discreet and the future of Web3D

    try the new flux
    [url]www.mediamachines.com[/url]

    fast, smooth and works well with vizx3d 1.2

    X3D works today...and will have full iso ratification by siggraph.
    c3

    "Lorax2003" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Well I just found this on Discreet's website, though it may be old news to
    > everyone else - Discreet has discontinued Plasma(quote below).
    >
    > Any thoughts on this?
    >
    > I know 3D is still supported with Max 6, but Plasma was a Director/Flash
    > specific tool, and to see it go makes me think Discreet is going the way
    of
    > Intel...another distance partner with little to no involement in
    Director's 3D
    > future.
    >
    > Lorax
    >
    > ***quote***
    > Discreet has taken the decision to discontinue development of plasma,
    > effective immediately. Plasma will be discontinued for sale as of August
    31,
    > 2004.
    > Discreet remains firmly committed to the belief that the mass consumption
    of
    > advanced 3D on the Web is only a matter of time. We fully intend to have
    > specific tools available to service this requirement as the Web evolves.
    > Meanwhile, existing Discreet products such as 3ds max are easily capable
    of
    > supporting the most sophisticated Web 3D content demands today.
    > ***quote***

    cube3 Guest

  3. #3

    Lorax2003 wrote:
    > Well I just found this on Discreet's website, though it may be old news to
    > everyone else - Discreet has discontinued Plasma(quote below).
    >
    > Any thoughts on this?
    >
    > I know 3D is still supported with Max 6, but Plasma was a Director/Flash
    > specific tool, and to see it go makes me think Discreet is going the way of
    > Intel...another distance partner with little to no involement in Director's 3D
    > future.

    discreet was never really successful with selling small retail products
    at a low price.
    they are not really successful with combustion either. their market is
    the "big" one. selling inferno, flame or 3ds max.
    or did u get the impression that it was really pushed onto the market by
    any campaigns?

    plasma was more or less a limited 3ds max with a Swift renderer. the
    problem - in my opinion - is, that there are not so many people out
    there that take the time to become good in 3d and then produce only web
    content.
    i guess the 3d web thing is just an extension of normal 3d work.
    and plasma is simply not powerful enough to fit both needs.

    david
    david Guest