Professional Web Applications Themes

Modem Install Problems - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have a Mandrake 9.1 distribution on my machine almost for 10 days. In these days I've learned everything I know about Linux:), but I'm still learning. The most frustrating thing in Linux world so far was the modem's driver installation. The modem is Sweex, Intel Ambient chipset, Hayes compatible 56k, V92. I searched the web, found several drivers (i)Intel-v92ham-453.tgz seems to be the right one, downloaded them from Sweex's and Intel's sites, both, installed kernell-source, followed the installation procedure, but the result is still 0. Kppp anounces me about the error "because of non existing /dev/modem?", but I can ...

  1. #1

    Default Modem Install Problems

    I have a Mandrake 9.1 distribution on my machine almost for 10 days.
    In these days I've learned everything I know about Linux:), but I'm
    still learning. The most frustrating thing in Linux world so far was
    the modem's driver installation.
    The modem is Sweex, Intel Ambient chipset, Hayes compatible 56k, V92.
    I searched the web, found several drivers (i)Intel-v92ham-453.tgz
    seems to be the right one, downloaded them from Sweex's and Intel's
    sites, both, installed kernell-source, followed the installation
    procedure, but the result is still 0.
    Kppp anounces me about the error "because of non existing
    /dev/modem?", but I can see it in /dev dir?!

    I also found this suggestion, too;
    There should be a symbolic link at /dev/modem pointing to /dev/ham. If
    it's not there create it.

    I created a symbolic link and still nothing.
    Should I try deinstall installed drivers and/or delete some folders,
    before I try some more times (I don't even know the Uninstalling
    procedure in Linux world:(

    I tried, also, with /sbin/ifup ppp0, but got the message:

    [rootlocalhost XX]# /sbin/ifup ppp0
    Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2
    What is Err2?

    I've already tried everything I knew. This is bigger than my Linx
    knowledge.
    Down there is log listed....
    Please, help me. TIA.
    Jr

    [rootlocalhost tmp]# tar xvfz Intel-v92ham-453.tgz
    Intel-v92ham-453/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/clmmain.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/coredrv.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/rts.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/task.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/uart.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/wwh_dflt.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/makefile
    Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv/hamcore.lib
    Intel-v92ham-453/hamboot
    Intel-v92ham-453/haminst
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/hamdefs.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/hamcore.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/rts.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/uart.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/wwh_dflt.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/tasker.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/inc/sys_ver.h
    Intel-v92ham-453/license.txt
    Intel-v92ham-453/makefile
    Intel-v92ham-453/readme.txt
    Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv/
    Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv/gpl.txt
    Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv/clmdrvr.c
    Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv/makefile
    Intel-v92ham-453/hamregistry
    Intel-v92ham-453/config_check
    [rootlocalhost tmp]# cd Intel-v92ham-453
    [rootlocalhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make clean
    cd coredrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    rm -f *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    cd serialdrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
    rm -f *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
    rm -f *.o
    rm -f *.o
    [rootlocalhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make ham
    Module precompile check
    Current running kernel is: 2.4.21-0.13mdk
    /lib/modules... autoconf.h exists
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.autoconf.h: No such file or directory
    autoconf.h matches running kernel
    diff: /boot/vmlinuz.version.h: No such file or directory
    version.h matches running kernel
    cd coredrv; make \
    "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX
    -DLINUX" \
    ham;
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o coredrv.o
    coredrv.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o clmmain.o
    clmmain.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o rts.o rts.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o task.o
    task.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o uart.o
    uart.c
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I../inc -c -o wwh_dflt.o
    wwh_dflt.c
    ld -r coredrv.o clmmain.o rts.o task.o uart.o wwh_dflt.o hamcore.lib
    -o hamcore.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/coredrv'
    cp coredrv/hamcore.o .
    cd serialdrv; make \
    "PSTN_DEF=-DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX
    -DLINUX" \
    ham;
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
    cc -DTARGET_HAM -DDSP_CODE_800_SERIES -DTARGET_LINUX -DLINUX -Wall -O
    -I /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I ../inc -c -o clmdrvr.o
    clmdrvr.c
    ld -r clmdrvr.o -o ham.o
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-v92ham-453/serialdrv'
    cp serialdrv/ham.o .
    [rootlocalhost Intel-v92ham-453]# make install
    bash haminst
    running kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk
    installing hamregistry, used for persistant storage
    installing ham module
    installing hamcore module
    mandrake hamboot script
    starting module and utilities
    error loading ham
    done
    ************************
    I don't know what is the reason for this "error loading ham"??
    I've tried the suggestion from the driver's archive and the result is
    the following log:

    [rootlocalhost Intel-v92ham-453]# insmod -f hamcore.o
    Warning: loading hamcore.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license -
    Proprietary
    See [url]http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted[/url] for information about
    tainted modules
    Warning: loading hamcore.o will taint the kernel: forced load
    Module hamcore loaded, with warnings
    [rootlocalhost Intel-v92ham-453]# insmod -f ham.oWarning: loading
    ham.o will taint the kernel: forced load
    See [url]http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted[/url] for information about
    tainted modules
    ham.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

    From dmesg I received the notice that:

    open failed.
    hamcore module init
    ham: device not found.

    I have no more ideas. Help, pls!
    NoSpam@fnmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Modem Install Problems

    [email]NoSpamfnmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > still learning. The most frustrating thing in Linux world so far was
    > the modem's driver installation.
    Modems don't have drivers. You must have a winmodem instead.
    > The modem is Sweex, Intel Ambient chipset, Hayes compatible 56k, V92.
    No, that's a winmodem.
    > I searched the web, found several drivers (i)Intel-v92ham-453.tgz
    > seems to be the right one, downloaded them from Sweex's and Intel's
    Just don't use the thing. Get a porper modem.
    > sites, both, installed kernell-source, followed the installation
    > procedure, but the result is still 0.
    > Kppp anounces me about the error "because of non existing
    > /dev/modem?", but I can see it in /dev dir?!
    I can't. Anyway, why are you using /dev/modem instead of where the
    serial device provided by the driver is? ...
    > There should be a symbolic link at /dev/modem pointing to /dev/ham. If
    .... There you are! You did know!
    > it's not there create it.
    > I created a symbolic link and still nothing.
    But is /dev/ham there? If not, create it!
    > Should I try deinstall installed drivers and/or delete some folders,
    No, you should show us what you have done and what you see. You haven't
    convinced me that you have loaded the driver or created a device file
    for it. You haven't shown us the kernel's messages on loading the
    module, etc. etc.
    > before I try some more times (I don't even know the Uninstalling
    > procedure in Linux world:(
    I don't understand. If you loaded the driver you can unload it!
    > I've already tried everything I knew. This is bigger than my Linx
    > knowledge.
    Provide some data. Tell us what you have done. Show us what you see.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:36:11 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
    <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
    >Just don't use the thing. Get a porper modem.
    Yes. This could be an option:)

    >> it's not there create it.
    >> I created a symbolic link and still nothing.
    >
    >But is /dev/ham there? If not, create it!
    No. You are right. But should I create it manually if I can't do this
    by installation?

    >No, you should show us what you have done and what you see. You haven't
    >convinced me that you have loaded the driver or created a device file
    >for it. You haven't shown us the kernel's messages on loading the
    >module, etc. etc.
    I simply don't know how to get it.
    Maybe you think about /var/log/messages?
    There are more than 25000 lines in it!?
    Speaking about it is there a way to save the whole history of messages
    as 1 file, instead of saving each display?

    I noticed that after all these days of trying to get it work I can see
    now, during the boot in the section a message:
    Finding module dependencies:
    depmod *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/kernel 2.4.21...../ham.o
    and the same with the end ////....hamcore.o
    Everything was just OK earlier..

    >I don't understand. If you loaded the driver you can unload it!
    I don't understand how to unload it? Maybe I use too small part of
    "Linux part of my mind", but I need a training to improve it. Without
    the suggestions I can't just intuitively guess how to do something in
    Linux. It maybe looks silly, but at the moment this is the situation
    for me:(

    >Provide some data. Tell us what you have done. Show us what you see.
    I 've already written it. I installed kernell-source, than I took a
    driver from the modem manufacturer's site. After that I moved it into
    /tmp dir.
    Speaking about it is there a rule where to move the files you want to
    install in Linux?
    After that I followed the procedures and nothing happened.
    In the mean time I tried lspci -v and got the following message (among
    the other things):

    01:08.0 Communication controller: Intel Corp. 536EP Data Fax Modem
    Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1000
    Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]

    The former driver suggested by the manufacturer was
    Intel-v92ham-453.tgz. Maybe I should try with 1 of suggested drivers
    at linmodems:
    in the range from Intel-536ep-448.tgz up to Intel-536ep-453.tgz (I
    suppose that in the driver's name should be the string from lspci
    "536ep".
    I only don't know how to recognize which is the right second number
    (i.e. after 536ep, 448, 451, 453? What is this all about? )
    Thank you for your response and suggestions. I will send you more
    informations if you want, just tell me what is the interesting part to
    look in it for the problem.
    Dj Jr
    dj.jr@fnmail.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hello

    [email]dj.jrfnmail.com[/email] (<dj.jrfnmail.com>) wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:36:11 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
    > <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
    >>No, you should show us what you have done and what you see. You
    >>haven't convinced me that you have loaded the driver or created a
    >>device file for it. You haven't shown us the kernel's messages on
    >
    > I simply don't know how to get it.
    > Maybe you think about /var/log/messages?
    > There are more than 25000 lines in it!?
    You can check /var/log/kern.log if it exists. And it doesn't matter if
    /var/log/messages has 25000 lines. The messages are listed in the order
    they were produced. Scroll to the end of the file and look there. Or
    install something like console-log to have the messages printed to some
    console (if Mandrake has a package like that). Or use tail. Or use grep
    to find lines containing a certain pattern like "ham".
    > I noticed that after all these days of trying to get it work I can see
    > now, during the boot in the section a message:
    > Finding module dependencies:
    > depmod *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/kernel 2.4.21...../ham.o
    > and the same with the end ////....hamcore.o
    > Everything was just OK earlier..
    This sounds like it could be the reason for your problem. With this
    problem, loading driver module very probably will fail. Maybe this is
    the reason for the error message during installation of the driver.
    >>I don't understand. If you loaded the driver you can unload it!
    >
    > I don't understand how to unload it?
    You can use lsmod to list loaded modules and rmmod to unload them.
    >>Provide some data. Tell us what you have done. Show us what you see.
    >
    > I 've already written it. I installed kernell-source, than I took a
    > driver from the modem manufacturer's site. After that I moved it into
    > /tmp dir.
    Maybe the Kernel has to be configured properly to install the driver
    successfully, using the configuration file of your running kernel and
    maybe running "make dep". But I don't know how Mandrake package their
    kernel source.
    > After that I followed the procedures and nothing happened.
    > In the mean time I tried lspci -v and got the following message (among
    > the other things):
    >
    > 01:08.0 Communication controller: Intel Corp. 536EP Data Fax Modem
    > Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1000
    > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
    > Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    >
    > The former driver suggested by the manufacturer was
    > Intel-v92ham-453.tgz. Maybe I should try with 1 of suggested drivers
    > at linmodems:
    > in the range from Intel-536ep-448.tgz up to Intel-536ep-453.tgz (I
    > suppose that in the driver's name should be the string from lspci
    > "536ep".
    > I only don't know how to recognize which is the right second number
    > (i.e. after 536ep, 448, 451, 453? What is this all about? )
    Intel has a page for these devices:
    <http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/support/drivers.htm>

    There is a link called "Intel® 536EP PCI Drivers". Sounds like this is
    where you should go. I cannot check further, at the moment I am getting
    timeouts trying to load the page.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

  5. #5

    [email]dj.jrfnmail.com[/email] wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:36:11 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
    > <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
    >>> it's not there create it.
    >>> I created a symbolic link and still nothing.
    >>
    >>But is /dev/ham [the link target] there? If not, create it!
    > No. You are right. But should I create it manually if I can't do this
    > by installation?
    I don't understand what you are trying to ask. What is the difference
    between doing by hand and doing by hand (i.e. by starting an
    installation by hand)? Is not one simply a more roundabout way of doing
    the same thing?

    Are you asking for some kind of blessing? Moral support? It won't make
    any difference to the result!
    >> show us what you have done and what you see. You haven't
    >>convinced me that you have loaded the driver or created a device file
    >>for it. You haven't shown us the kernel's messages on loading the
    >>module, etc. etc.
    > I simply don't know how to get it.
    Get what?
    > Maybe you think about /var/log/messages?
    No. I mean the output from "dmesg". Maybe the kernel buffer that you
    see in dmesg is saved in messages, maybe not. That's up to you and your
    configuration of syslogd. More likely it's in boot.log or kernel.log or
    syslog or something like that. But it's not improbable that it's in
    messages (too). Often messsages is configured as a catch-all.
    > There are more than 25000 lines in it!?
    I should hope so. Find the right ones. Clue: they're the ones dated at
    the time you did "it".
    > Speaking about it is there a way to save the whole history of messages
    What messages?
    > as 1 file, instead of saving each display?
    I don't understand what you mean. Wnat messages? What display?

    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... maybe you are talking about error and standard
    output (not messages) to the terminal you are on. Maybe you think that
    you can save a screenful (not a display) at a time only, for some
    reason. Can't you grab all of it with the mouse?

    Anyway, if you start "script" first and then log out of it when you are
    finished, everything you and the machine produce will be in the
    file typescript.

    > I noticed that after all these days of trying to get it work I can see
    > now, during the boot in the section a message:
    > Finding module dependencies:
    > depmod *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/kernel 2.4.21...../ham.o
    There you are. They don't load.

    Run depmod -ae and let's have a look at what the missing symbols are.

    How did you compile this? You're missing out 95% of the story! How do
    you expect us to guess it?
    > and the same with the end ////....hamcore.o
    > Everything was just OK earlier..
    How do you know? What is your evidence?

    >>I don't understand. If you loaded the driver you can unload it!
    > I don't understand how to unload it? Maybe I use too small part of
    You unload it the same way you loaded it. Tell us how you did it.
    We cannot guess.

    But the messages you just showed said that you can't load it.
    > "Linux part of my mind", but I need a training to improve it. Without
    > the suggestions I can't just intuitively guess how to do something in
    But you are not telling us what you did .. When you tell us how you
    loaded it, you can then look at the man page for the command you used
    and then tell us how to use that command or a similar one to unload it.

    No?
    > Linux. It maybe looks silly, but at the moment this is the situation
    >>Provide some data. Tell us what you have done. Show us what you see.
    > I 've already written it. I installed kernell-source, than I took a
    What do you mean? Be precise. What command did you execute, and what
    was the result? Errors?
    > driver from the modem manufacturer's site. After that I moved it into
    What driver? Tell us the site. Tell us the file. Show us the commands
    you used. Precisely. Line by line.
    > /tmp dir.
    Why?
    > Speaking about it is there a rule where to move the files you want to
    > install in Linux?
    No. I don't think you're installing anything yet anyway! I believe you
    have an archive (not a file).
    > After that I followed the procedures and nothing happened.
    What procedure? Where did you get this procedure from? What did it
    consist of? Show us what you did, step by step, and what happened
    at eash step.
    > 01:08.0 Communication controller: Intel Corp. 536EP Data Fax Modem
    > Subsystem: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1000
    > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
    > Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    Fine. Intel nonmodem.
    > The former driver suggested by the manufacturer was
    Former?
    > Intel-v92ham-453.tgz. Maybe I should try with 1 of suggested drivers
    Aha! A datum!! Well done!
    > at linmodems:
    > in the range from Intel-536ep-448.tgz up to Intel-536ep-453.tgz (I
    > suppose that in the driver's name should be the string from lspci
    > "536ep".
    Those look like newer and newer versions. Go for the newest.

    You have a tgz. So likely when you untar it there will be instructions
    in a README. Show us the instructions. Show us what you did. Show us
    the results.

    > I only don't know how to recognize which is the right second number
    > (i.e. after 536ep, 448, 451, 453? What is this all about? )
    I don't understand quite what you are looking for. Likely they're just
    numbers.

    I am guessing, but maybe you executed a script? Did you have to supply
    answers to some questions?

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:46:14 -0600, NoSpam wrote:
    > I have a Mandrake 9.1 distribution on my machine almost for 10 days. In
    > these days I've learned everything I know about Linux:), but I'm still
    > learning. The most frustrating thing in Linux world so far was the
    > modem's driver installation.
    > The modem is Sweex, Intel Ambient chipset, Hayes compatible 56k, V92. I
    > searched the web, found several drivers (i)Intel-v92ham-453.tgz seems to
    > be the right one, downloaded them from Sweex's and Intel's sites, both,
    > installed kernell-source, followed the installation procedure, but the
    > result is still 0. Kppp anounces me about the error "because of non
    > existing /dev/modem?", but I can see it in /dev dir?!
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > From dmesg I received the notice that:
    >
    > open failed.
    > hamcore module init
    > ham: device not found.
    >
    > I have no more ideas. Help, pls!

    Are you sure this is the exact modem covered by this driver. Check the
    model number at linmodems.org.

    I have a modem which is covered by this driver and here is the relevant startup
    info:

    from $>cat /proc/pci

    PCI devices found:
    Communication controller: PCI device 8086:1040 (Intel Corp.) (rev 0).
    IRQ 5.
    Master Capable. Latency=32.
    Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xda000000 [0xda3fffff].

    from $>dmesg

    hamcore module init
    ham: loading 536EP Release 4.51 INT (kern:2.4.20-rc3) - Nov 26 2002
    PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0a.0
    ham: IRQ: 5, DSP-Base: 0xda000000 (phys) 0xe09b2000 (virt) (range: 4096k), DSP-Port: 0x0 (range: 0b)

    --Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Mayne Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:25:35 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
    <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:

    >I don't understand what you are trying to ask. What is the difference
    >between doing by hand and doing by hand (i.e. by starting an
    >installation by hand)? Is not one simply a more roundabout way of doing
    >the same thing?
    I don't know. I have to discover it or somebody will tell me. I am not
    quite sure I'm understanding what you are trying to say..

    >Are you asking for some kind of blessing? Moral support? It won't make
    >any difference to the result!
    No, I don't ask neither of blessing nor moral support. Sorry because
    of misunderstanding. English is not native language of mine.

    >No. I mean the output from "dmesg". Maybe the kernel buffer that you
    >see in dmesg is saved in messages, maybe not. That's up to you and your
    >configuration of syslogd. More likely it's in boot.log or kernel.log or
    >syslog or something like that. But it's not improbable that it's in
    >messages (too). Often messsages is configured as a catch-all.
    dmesg output is (sorry for the length of this message, I know that
    this is not appropriate from the Usenet's FAQ viewpoint, but I want
    to give all the people asked from me in order to get help)
    dmesg

    Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=306 devfs=mount
    hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet
    ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
    Found and enabled local APIC!
    Initializing CPU#0
    Detected 1531.039 MHz processor.
    Console: colour dummy device 80x25
    Calibrating delay loop... 3053.97 BogoMIPS
    Memory: 515096k/524224k available (1410k kernel code, 8740k reserved,
    1118k data, 136k init,

    0k highmem)
    Dentry cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
    Inode cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)
    Mount cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
    Buffer-cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
    Page-cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
    CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
    CPU: L2 Cache: 256K (64 bytes/line)
    Intel machine check architecture supported.
    Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.
    CPU: After generic, caps: 0383fbff c1c3fbff 00000000 00000000
    CPU: Common caps: 0383fbff c1c3fbff 00000000 00000000
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ stepping 00
    Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.
    Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
    Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
    POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
    enabled ExtINT on CPU#0
    ESR value before enabling vector: 00000000
    ESR value after enabling vector: 00000000
    Using local APIC timer interrupts.
    calibrating APIC timer ...
    ...... CPU clock speed is 1531.0402 MHz.
    ...... host bus clock speed is 266.2678 MHz.
    cpu: 0, clocks: 2662678, slice: 1331339
    CPU0<T0:2662672,T1:1331328,D:5,S:1331339,C:2662678 >
    mtrr: v1.40 (20010327) Richard Gooch (rgoochatnf.csiro.au)
    mtrr: detected mtrr type: Intel
    ACPI: Subsystem revision 20030122
    ACPI: Disabled via command line (acpi=off)
    PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb9c0, last bus=2
    PCI: Using configuration type 1
    PCI: Probing PCI hardware
    PCI: ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries
    PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
    PCI: Discovered primary peer bus ff [IRQ]
    PCI: Using IRQ router default [10de/01e0] at 00:00.0
    isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
    isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
    Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
    Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
    Initializing RT netlink socket
    apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16)
    Starting kswapd
    VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1
    devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgoochatnf.csiro.au)
    devfs: boot_options: 0x1
    vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xe0800000, size 65536k
    vesafb: mode is 1024x768x16, linelength=2048, pages=41
    vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:56e3
    vesafb: scrolling: redraw
    vesafb: directcolor: size=0:5:6:5, shift=0:11:5:0
    Looking for splash picture.... no good signature found.
    Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48
    fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
    pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
    Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with HUB-6 MANY_PORTS
    MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ

    SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
    ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
    RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 32000K size 1024 blocksize
    Uniform

    Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta-2.4
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
    idebus=xx
    NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
    NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
    NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
    hda: Maxtor 6Y080L0, ATA DISK drive
    blk: queue c03cb420, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
    hdc: ASUS CRW-5224A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hda: host protected area => 1
    hda: 160086528 sectors (81964 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=9964/255/63,
    UDMA(33)
    Partition check:
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 p7 >
    md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.
    NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
    IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
    IP: routing cache hash table of 4096 buckets, 32Kbytes
    Linux IP multicast router 0.06 plus PIM-SM
    NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
    Freeing initrd memory: 107k freed
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    Mounted devfs on /dev
    Journalled Block Device driver loaded
    kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    Mounted devfs on /dev
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
    Real Time Clock Driver v1.10e
    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:02.0 to 64
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xe483b000, IRQ 11
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.0, PCI device 10de:0067 (nVidia Corporation)
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 3 ports detected
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:02.1 to 64
    usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xe483d000, IRQ 5
    usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.1, PCI device 10de:0067 (nVidia Corporation)
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 3 ports detected
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:02.2 to 64
    ehci-hcd 00:02.2: PCI device 10de:0068 (nVidia Corporation)
    ehci-hcd 00:02.2: irq 10, pci mem e4856000
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
    ehci-hcd 00:02.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2002-Dec-20
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 6 ports detected
    usbdevfs: remount parameter error
    EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ide0(3,6), internal journal
    Adding Swap: 1180736k swap-space (priority -1)
    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: ASUS Model: CRW-5224A Rev: 1.35
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    NTFS driver 2.1.1a [Flags: R/O MODULE].
    NTFS volume version 3.0.
    MSDOS FS: IO cht utf8
    inserting floppy driver for 2.4.21-0.13mdk
    Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
    FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 52x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
    CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
    PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
    Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [email]okirmonad.swb.de[/email]).
    Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 15:29:58 Mar 14 2003
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:06.0 to 64
    i810: NVIDIA nForce Audio found at IO 0xe800 and 0xe400, MEM 0x0000
    and 0x0000, IRQ

    5i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
    i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
    i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
    ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG32 (ALC650)
    i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, new EID value = 0x05c7
    i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0, DAC map configured, total channels = 6
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
    lp0: using parport0 (polling).
    hamcore module init
    ham: device not found.
    hamcore module cleanup
    spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

    >> Speaking about it is there a way to save the whole history of messages
    >
    >What messages?
    >
    >> as 1 file, instead of saving each display?
    >
    >I don't understand what you mean. Wnat messages? What display?
    The messages in /var/log/messages
    There is a possibility to save just the content of currently shown
    window (I don't know how to express it clearer, I tried not to use
    this word in Linux group, but it seems that "display" is more
    confusing:). I wondered is there any chance to save all of the
    messages of this dir with 1 command instead of PageDown-Save History,
    PgDown-Save History and so on some several hundred times....

    >Run depmod -ae and let's have a look at what the missing symbols are.
    # depmod -ae
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o
    depmod: schedule_timeout
    depmod: __wake_up
    depmod: tty_unregister_driver
    depmod: __generic_copy_from_user
    depmod: tty_std_termios
    depmod: __release_region
    depmod: tq_immediate
    depmod: tty_register_driver
    depmod: pci_enable_device
    depmod: vfree
    depmod: pcibios_present
    depmod: free_irq
    depmod: free_pages
    depmod: __ioremap
    depmod: bh_task_vec
    depmod: request_irq
    depmod: tty_flip_buffer_push
    depmod: pci_find_device
    depmod: __tasklet_hi_schedule
    depmod: jiffies
    depmod: printk
    depmod: ioport_resource
    depmod: get_zeroed_page
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
    /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/char/hamcore.o
    depmod: enable_irq
    depmod: schedule_timeout
    depmod: __wake_up
    depmod: schedule
    depmod: __udelay
    depmod: create_proc_entry
    depmod: interruptible_sleep_on_timeout
    depmod: del_timer
    depmod: interruptible_sleep_on
    depmod: disable_irq
    depmod: remove_proc_entry
    depmod: schedule_task
    depmod: proc_root
    depmod: jiffies
    depmod: printk
    depmod: add_timer
    depmod: __const_udelay

    >What driver? Tell us the site. Tell us the file. Show us the commands
    >you used. Precisely. Line by line.
    The driver was from [url]www.sweex.com[/url] site. The manufacturer of my modem.
    The file is Intel-v92ham-453.tgz

    >> /tmp dir.
    >
    >Why?
    I read in some online article that is preferable to put an archive in
    this dir. Is there any other suggestion maybe?
    >What procedure? Where did you get this procedure from? What did it
    >consist of? Show us what you did, step by step, and what happened
    >at eash step.
    >> at linmodems:
    >> in the range from Intel-536ep-448.tgz up to Intel-536ep-453.tgz (I
    >> suppose that in the driver's name should be the string from lspci
    >> "536ep".
    >
    >Those look like newer and newer versions. Go for the newest.
    I've just tried it and this is what I got:
    [rootlocalhost XX]# cd /tmp
    [rootlocalhost tmp]# tar -zxvf Intel-536ep-453.tgz
    Intel-536ep-453/
    Intel-536ep-453/536ep-boot
    Intel-536ep-453/536ep-inst
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/clmmain.c
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/coredrv.c
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/rts.c
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/task.c
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/uart.c
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/wwh_dflt.c
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/makefile
    Intel-536ep-453/coredrv/536epcore.lib
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/hamdefs.h
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/hamcore.h
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/rts.h
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/uart.h
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/wwh_dflt.h
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/tasker.h
    Intel-536ep-453/inc/sys_ver.h
    Intel-536ep-453/license.txt
    Intel-536ep-453/makefile
    Intel-536ep-453/readme.txt
    Intel-536ep-453/serialdrv/
    Intel-536ep-453/serialdrv/gpl.txt
    Intel-536ep-453/serialdrv/clmdrvr.c
    Intel-536ep-453/serialdrv/makefile
    Intel-536ep-453/hamregistry
    Intel-536ep-453/config_check
    [rootlocalhost tmp]# cd Intel-536ep-453
    [rootlocalhost Intel-536ep-453]# make clean
    cd coredrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-536ep-453/coredrv'
    rm -f *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-536ep-453/coredrv'
    cd serialdrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Intel-536ep-453/serialdrv'
    rm -f *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Intel-536ep-453/serialdrv'
    rm -f *.o
    rm -f *.o
    [rootlocalhost Intel-536ep-453]# make ham
    make: *** No rule to make target `ham'. Stop.
    [rootlocalhost Intel-536ep-453]# make install
    bash 536ep-inst
    running kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk
    installing hamregistry, used for persistant storage
    installing 536EP module
    install: cannot stat `536ep.o': No such file or directory
    installing 536ep core module
    install: cannot stat `536epcore.o': No such file or directory
    mandrake 536ep-boot script
    starting module and utilities
    error loading 536epcore
    done
    [rootlocalhost Intel-536ep-453]#

    >You have a tgz. So likely when you untar it there will be instructions
    >in a README. Show us the instructions. Show us what you did. Show us
    >the results.
    The instructions are:

    ReadMe file for the
    Intel MD563X-HaM V.92 chipset Linux driver

    contents:
    1. License
    2. Release Notes
    3. Installation
    4. File Descriptions
    5. International

    Users
    6. Beta Tester appreciation
    7. Security issues
    8. Compilation issues
    a.

    Instructions for Debian Users
    b. Kernel Source
    9. What is the Hamregistry?
    10. what's

    v92 and v44?
    11. The Hamregistry tool (for persistance)
    12. Known Bugs/Issues
    13. Comments,

    ideas, problems, fixes

    Release Notes
    This release supports 2.4.x kernels.
    This release is not compatible to 2.2.x kernels, please use
    the 333-5 Linux HaM driver.
    The HaM corecode binary was compiled with gcc version 3.2
    v92 support added: modem on hold AT command set,
    PCM upstream, v44, and quick connect are implemented.
    Linux Compatability tests are performed on the latest or
    previous
    versions of the following distributions: Mandrake, RedHat, and
    SuSE
    3. INSTALLATION
    Prerequisites:
    1. root access
    2. bash shell to run install scripts
    3. a HaM modem
    4. KERNEL SOURCE HEADERS FOR THE KERNEL YOU ARE RUNNING
    (found on your distribution's CD)
    6 steps to install
    1. login as ROOT
    2. extract the archive into a directory with "tar -zxvf
    <archivename>.tgz"
    3. cd into the directory it created.
    4. Type: make clean
    5. Type: make ham
    6. Type: make install

    The driver is split in two. A ham serial driver and core driver.
    The core driver must be loaded first since the serial driver depends
    on it.
    The serial driver registers itself as character device
    major number 240, minor number 1.
    The serial driver takes one argument right now, which is a number to
    override the default major number if you need to.
    ATTENTION: if the driver compiles but the script just wont work for
    you.
    Here are the bare minimum steps to get your modem to work.
    0. log in as root.
    1. insmod -f hamcore.o 2. insmod -f ham.o
    2a. you can start "hamregistry" at this point if you wish.
    3. rm /dev/ham
    4. mknod /dev/ham c 240 1 (note "240" is the default, if it does
    not
    work see what /proc/devices says ham's major number is)
    5. ln -s /dev/ham /dev/modem
    6. start a comm application like minicom and use the modem.
    7. see section 3 (International Users) for info on setting the
    correct
    > country settings.

    After I tried these commands I can see during the system booting this
    message:
    Finding module dependencies:
    depmod:*** Unresolved symbols in
    /lib/moduls/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/char/ham.o
    depmod:*** Unresolved symbols in
    /lib/moduls/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/char/hamcore.o

    4. FILE DESCRIPTIONS
    haminst installation script to install HaM modules and supporting
    files
    files copied to /lib/modules/(kernel-version)/misc
    hamcore.o driver core code module
    ham.o pseudo serial driver for HaM, depends on
    hamcore.o

    files copied to /etc/rc.d/... (path differes per distribution)
    hamboot boot scrip to start and stop HaM modules
    files copied to /usr/sbin
    hamregistry hamregistry is the "registry" like tool that the modem
    uses to
    get and store persistant data such as county info and profile
    strings.

    files copied to /etc
    hamregistry.bin file that stores the initial persistant data
    for modem.
    I tried to find these files (ham.o, hamcore.o, hamboot, hamregistry
    and hamregistyr.bin) and hamregistry is the only one I could find at
    the place where they say it should be..

    >7. Security
    <
    issues

    the haminst and hamboot file install the files and device nodes as
    root for the

    owner and group.
    this will cause problems for those who want to user the modem to

    dialout
    using an account other than root.

    In SuSE, "dialout" is the group used to install

    the files and device node.
    This way, anyone belonging to the "dialout" group can use the

    modem to dialout.
    (take a look at /etc/group)

    I did not want the script to allow full

    access of the modem to everyone without
    "root" knowing.

    Edit the hamboot and haminst

    scripts to fit your needs.

    >8. Compile
    issues
    a. this driver will now compile with the this path:
    /lib/modules/<kernel

    version>/build/include
    the 2.4.4+ kernels says to copy the /boot/vmlinuz.version.h

    over to the kernel build path. I have the makefile do this
    if this file exists. You

    must install the kernel source
    code anyways. It should be on your distribution's CD.
    ______________________________

    Thank you for your time.
    Best regards D. Djakovic
    djakovic NO_SPAM at uns.ns.ac.yu

    dj.jr@fnmail.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hello

    [email]dj.jrfnmail.com[/email] (<dj.jrfnmail.com>) wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:26:53 +0200, Andreas Janssen
    > <andreas.janssenbigfoot.com> wrote:
    >>Maybe the Kernel has to be configured properly to install the driver
    >>successfully, using the configuration file of your running kernel and
    >>maybe running "make dep". But I don't know how Mandrake package their
    >>kernel source.
    >
    > Now I am wondering what is the way to configure Kernel?
    > I am learning all the time:)
    I don't know how Mandrake handles this, but on my Debian system I have
    so far used two ways to compile modules (like the nvidia driver):

    1. installing the kernel headers package matching my kernel (I don't
    know if Mandrake has them packaged separately or if maybe they are
    already installed by default)

    2. installing the source, copying the configuration file for my kernel
    from /boot/ to /usr/src/linux/.config, setting the right EXTRAVERSION
    in the Makefile and running make clean and make dep. However I don't
    know if on Mandrake systems the configuration file comes with the
    kernel package and where it is.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen