Professional Web Applications Themes

modifier based animation - Macromedia Director 3D

someone may find this useful. it is modifier based animation using bones, the bones are being animated by a modifier not by hand but they can still be keyframed. the object wasnt made using polygons and doesnt use meshsmooth. done in max unaware how it works in other 3d programs [url]www.bleed3d.com/curtain.htm[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default modifier based animation

    someone may find this useful. it is modifier based animation using bones, the
    bones are being animated by a modifier not by hand but they can still be
    keyframed. the object wasnt made using polygons and doesnt use meshsmooth. done
    in max unaware how it works in other 3d programs

    [url]www.bleed3d.com/curtain.htm[/url]

    tyree_2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: modifier based animation

    Another, erm, interesting demo, tyree! :-)

    I'm not sure if something's wrong here, but when I view it, the curtain is
    barely moving, it just wiggles slightly and moves a little to the right at the
    bottom. Can you make it flap and billow a bit more?

    Also I'm not sure what exactly this is demonstrating... is there any lingo in
    your movie? What do you mean by 'the object wasnt made using polygons'? All
    models are mad using polygons!

    - Ben

    duckets Guest

  3. #3

    it uses the wave modifier and its set low which is why it barely moves. there
    isnt any lingo. the object was made out of 2 lines its a nurbs object. it gets
    converted to polygons for shockwave but the surface is still smoother than
    polygonal modeling. its demonstrating that modifiers can be used

    tyree_2 Guest

  4. #4

    [q]Originally posted by: tyree_2
    ... it gets converted to polygons for shockwave ...[/q]

    So you figured the answer by yourself ...
    Anyway, you don't need nurbs and the wave modifier to do that.
    Use bones or dummies and physique modifier.
    See the FLAG from [url]http://necromanthus.com/Games/ShockWave/quake3.html[/url]

    necromanthus Guest

  5. #5

    first of all, necromathus, you very simple minded person, I did not need to
    figure it out I was pointing out the fact that you can make a smoother object
    using something other than polygons. I know how to model using all three
    formats patches, nurbs, and polygons and its no secret that patches and nurbs
    are faster and produce better results for any type of smooth curved shaped
    object. Now, while you would prefer to waste time doing something tedious like
    trying to animate a wave by hand when there is already something there that
    does it for you. others would not.

    tyree_2 Guest

  6. #6

    TYREE_2, watch your language !
    You're a newbie (in 3DSMax & Director Shockwave both).
    We don't need your "astonishing" tips & advices, such as " the object wasnt
    made using polygons "
    .
    First of all, you should start to learn the BASICS.

    bye

    necromanthus Guest

  7. #7

    pointing out that the object wasnt made using polygons is because a polygon is a stiff object a patch and a nurbs object is not even once it becomes converted to polygons
    tyree_2 Guest

  8. #8

    3DSMax and Shockwave 3D are two very different things.
    The 3DSMax W3D Exporter has many restrictions.
    For this reason, in case of "modifier based animation" here is the BEST
    method:
    http://www.geocities.com/necromanthus/flag.html
    What's there:
    an 8 (eight !!!) polygons editable mesh, 5 bones (in this case
    you can use 5 dummies as well) and physique modifier.
    No LINGO at all !

    necromanthus Guest