Professional Web Applications Themes

Modular Text into Projector - Macromedia Director Basics

This is probably something simple, but I can't seem to make it work. I want to be able to create a Shockwave project that will end up being a CD distributed to a lot of people. In the idea of being able to have someone else update the cd next year, I want to include all the text that will be on the CD as txt files so that they dont' have to know Director to be able to update it. I have looked and tried several things, the closest thing I have seen to what I need to do ...

  1. #1

    Default Modular Text into Projector

    This is probably something simple, but I can't seem to make it work. I want to be able to create a Shockwave project that will end up being a CD distributed to a lot of people. In the idea of being able to have someone else update the cd next year, I want to include all the text that will be on the CD as txt files so that they dont' have to know Director to be able to update it. I have looked and tried several things, the closest thing I have seen to what I need to do is this.

    on enterframe
    importFileInto(member "Date", "Date.rtf")
    end if

    I want the files to be stored locally and not a webserver as some of the people that will want to view it might not have internet connections. What I have is a text box called Date, and a file called Date.rtf I have tried txt also, and I just want it to read the text from the file and populate the text box with that data. Can someone point out what I have missed or possibly direct me to a good tutorial website. Thanks in advance!

    Toolman21

    Toolman21 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Modular Text into Projector

    You could use FileIO:

    fileObj=new(Xtra "FileIO")
    filename=the moviepath & "date.txt"
    openfile(fileObj, filename,1)
    member("Date").text=readfile(fileObj)
    closefile(fileObj)

    Judy
    "Toolman21" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > This is probably something simple, but I can't seem to make it work. I
    want to be able to create a Shockwave project that will end up being a CD
    distributed to a lot of people. In the idea of being able to have someone
    else update the cd next year, I want to include all the text that will be on
    the CD as txt files so that they dont' have to know Director to be able to
    update it. I have looked and tried several things, the closest thing I have
    seen to what I need to do is this.

    > on enterframe
    > importFileInto(member "Date", "Date.rtf")
    > end if
    >
    > I want the files to be stored locally and not a webserver as some of the
    people that will want to view it might not have internet connections. What
    I have is a text box called Date, and a file called Date.rtf I have tried
    txt also, and I just want it to read the text from the file and populate the
    text box with that data. Can someone point out what I have missed or
    possibly direct me to a good tutorial website. Thanks in advance!

    > Toolman21

    JPrice Guest

  3. #3

    I had a similar problem and here's what I did: I created two text members,
    one of them is visible on the stage (member("explanation")), the other one
    is - as its name says - a dummy to load the text from a file.

    theFile = the moviePath & "/text1.txt"
    member("loadingDummy").filename = theFile

    After these statements all of the text from file "text1.txt" is loaded into
    member "loadingDummy". Now you can copy portions (single lines) or all of
    the text into the member shown on the stage, for example:

    member("explanation").text = member("loadingDummy").text.line[i]

    Hope this helps you :-)
    L.S.

    Loren Schwarz Guest