Professional Web Applications Themes

More examples of SCO's stunning competence (NOT!) - SCO

Have a look at a linux Q and A page: www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html Scroll down to the bottom. It looks like someone at SCO left a work in progress on the web server. It's not obvious how you would find a link to it from SCO's web page, but Google knows about it....

  1. #1

    Default More examples of SCO's stunning competence (NOT!)

    Have a look at a linux Q and A page:
    www.sco.com/scosource/linuxqanda.html

    Scroll down to the bottom.

    It looks like someone at SCO left a work in progress on the web server.

    It's not obvious how you would find a link to it from SCO's web page,
    but Google knows about it.

    Joe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: More examples of SCO's stunning competence (NOT!)

    I had a look and it does seem rather odd. I'd call it a shining
    example of their professionalism.

    Maybe Darl has taken up coding because their money is better
    spent on lawyers than programmers.

    Pat Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:54:27 GMT, Pat <com> wrote:

    In a way that could be good--if Darl actually knew something about code
    and programming, he might actually become capable of saying something
    intelligent about the UNIX source code. As for me, I can barely code my
    way out of a wet paper bag in dBase III+ code, but even *I* know that
    McBride's strictly talking out of his hat and has no real idea what he's
    talking about.

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    *** Remove ARROGANCE Before Replying ***
    JamesDad Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:06:51 GMT, invalid (Joe Dunning)
    wrote:

    Yep. Looks like the typical mess generated by MS Word 2003.

    See:
    http://www.sco.com/scosource/linuxlicensefaq.html
    for the clean version. It's been there for at least a month, when I
    read it last. There's a link to it on the scosource web page as "IP
    License for Linux FAQ".

    Did you see the chart at:
    http://www.sco.com/scosource/unixtree/unixhistory01.html

    # santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager com AE6KS
    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    Joe Dunning <invalid> wrote:

    Or just stupidly misunderstood what Word was going to do with their edits.

    Tony Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:17:38 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote:

    >Or just stupidly misunderstood what Word was going to do with their edits.[/ref]

    "Stupidly" can at least describe the use of Word to create/edit an HTML
    doent. I'd heard that Word was about the worst as far as HTML bloat was
    concerned--in this case an HTML doent that is almost exclusively text
    (except for the strike throughs and a small table) comes out twice the
    size of the basic text!

    Plus there's the matter of a *nix company using a Windows word processor
    to edit HTML. I'd say SCO's credibility as a company just dropped a couple
    of notches with me, but I don't know if they have that many left. :-)

  7. #7

    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    >>Or just stupidly misunderstood what Word was going to do with their edits.[/ref][/ref]

    Oh, heck, they've been doing that crap for years. I complained once about
    price lists being posted in Excel.

    Sun has that "eat your own dog food" motto, and SCO would have been
    smart to do the same, but of course they never were.

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    That argument has been used against others - and it's not a real
    argument. A couple of years ago there was a big bruhaha about
    Sun using MS machines and MS products instead of the StarOffice.

    MS products do run a vast majority of offices in the US and tyring
    to hire someone who knows how to write doentation using
    nroff/troff and the associated macros is pretty hard - unless they
    are retired Bell employees who used to write manuals there.

    Bill Campbell posted a story [here on in another NG/list]about a
    woman in an office where his wife worked [as I recall] who was so
    much more efficient that the others they had to find out why she
    was so productive.

    It turns out she did all her work in vi and then just imported into
    Word.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:09:32 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
    <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    I forgot to include the fix:
    Demoronizer: Correct Moronic Microsoft HTML
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  10. #10

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:09:32 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
    <santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    I looked at the HTML and the headers stated that it was generated by Word
    10, more commonly known as Word XP. Office 10 is XP, Office 11 is 2003.
    Probably not much different in results, though. If anything, 2003 would
    probably be worse. ;-)

  11. #11

    On Sat, Nov 15, 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >That argument has been used against others - and it's not a real
    >argument. A couple of years ago there was a big bruhaha about
    >Sun using MS machines and MS products instead of the StarOffice.[/ref]

    The problem with using any Micro$oft programs to generate HTML is that they
    tend to use non-standard extensions (in addtion to being generally
    bloated).

    My biggest complaint with every HTML editor I've ever seen is that they
    always seem to want to play with fonts, specifying absolute sizes and such
    which totally defeat the design intentions of HTML which is to make the
    display independent of the content.

    The woman didn't work with my wife, she's a technical writer and editor for
    Microsoft :-). Her boss asked why she was at least five times more
    productive than anybody else in her department.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``Never do your enemy a minor injury.''
    - Machiavelli
    Bill Guest

  12. #12

    In article <mi.celestial.com>
    com (Bill Campbell) writes:

    Recently I took a look at a friend's web page using Netscape on my
    Linux box. It was a mess - captions were overlaid by photos instead
    of sitting below them, etc. It had been created with FrontPage and
    naturally looked just fine when viewed with IE. Just for kicks I
    pulled a copy of her index.html and started fiddling with it in vi.
    I wound up with a page that looked good on either browser and was
    only half the size.

    >The woman didn't work with my wife, she's a technical writer and editor
    >for Microsoft :-). Her boss asked why she was at least five times more
    >productive than anybody else in her department.[/ref]

    Let's see if I can write the rest of the story: She was reprimanded,
    vi was removed from her machine, and she was forced to use Word for
    her work. She quit two months later.

    How close did I come? :-)

    --
    /~\ invalid (Charlie Gibbs)