Professional Web Applications Themes

more install problems - Debian

Okay, this supersedes the previous. I have succeeded in installing Woody on the Thinkpad, using the 'dummy' network interface. A stack of errors which will be easily cleared up as soon as I actually can connect to the internet, via our home-office ethernet. The interface card claims to support Linux. It is a net-lynx 428X. It comes with a floppy, with instructions for installing its driver. This is what it says: Realtek CardBus Ethernet Card Installation on Linux 1. Compile the source code : ->Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: more install problems

    Okay, this supersedes the previous. I have succeeded in installing
    Woody on the Thinkpad, using the 'dummy' network interface. A stack
    of errors which will be easily cleared up as soon as I actually can
    connect to the internet, via our home-office ethernet. The interface
    card claims to support Linux. It is a net-lynx 428X. It comes with
    a floppy, with instructions for installing its driver. This is what
    it says:

    Realtek CardBus Ethernet Card Installation on Linux

    1. Compile the source code :
    ->Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory
    and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
    -Wstrict-prototypes
    -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o
    -I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/"
    The directory "pcmcia-cs-3.0.9" stands for the card service
    version you use. Please change it to the version on your system
    in order to include proper .h file. The final file is
    realtek_cb.o

    2. Copy driver :
    ->Copy the file "realtek_cb.o" to "/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/pcmcia"

    3. Edit config:
    ->Add 5 lines to the file "/etc/pcmcia/config"
    [...]
    after that it should be easy.

    This doesn't seem to be workable with the directory structure debian
    has installed. I have managed to copy the file to a directory (in
    spite of the thinkpad not being able to read floppies properly - but
    that is a separate problem).

    In para. 1. there is no directory like
    /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/ - I cannot find any
    *pcmcia*/include/. What should I do here?

    If someone can help me here, I can try to compile this. If it
    succeeds, it will be the first time I ever compile anything
    successfully! The floppy they provide also includes a file called
    'kern_compat.h', but there are no instructions what to do with it.
    It is mentioned once in rtl8139.c as follows:
    #ifdef INLINE_PCISCAN
    #include "k_compat.h"
    #else
    // #include "pci-scan.h"
    #include "kern_compat.h"
    #endif
    which looks commented out to me, but I don't pretend to know C. Can
    anyone tell me if I need to copy it too?

    The main reason for moving to Debian (apart from the wonderful people
    here) was for apt-get and friends, but I can't even start to benefit
    if I can't get online... it's sooo frustrating.

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:20:47AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > Realtek CardBus Ethernet Card Installation on Linux
    >
    > 1. Compile the source code :
    > ->Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory
    > and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
    > -Wstrict-prototypes
    > -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o
    > -I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/"
    > The directory "pcmcia-cs-3.0.9" stands for the card service
    > version you use. Please change it to the version on your system
    > in order to include proper .h file. The final file is
    > realtek_cb.o
    >
    > 2. Copy driver :
    > ->Copy the file "realtek_cb.o" to "/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/pcmcia"
    >
    > 3. Edit config:
    > ->Add 5 lines to the file "/etc/pcmcia/config"
    > [...]
    > after that it should be easy.
    >
    > This doesn't seem to be workable with the directory structure debian
    > has installed. I have managed to copy the file to a directory (in
    > spite of the thinkpad not being able to read floppies properly - but
    > that is a separate problem).
    >
    > In para. 1. there is no directory like
    > /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/ - I cannot find any
    > *pcmcia*/include/. What should I do here?
    I'm no pcmcia guru, but try /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia. Or
    /usr/src/linux/drivers/pcmcia.
    > If someone can help me here, I can try to compile this. If it
    > succeeds, it will be the first time I ever compile anything
    > successfully! The floppy they provide also includes a file called
    > 'kern_compat.h', but there are no instructions what to do with it.
    > It is mentioned once in rtl8139.c as follows:
    > #ifdef INLINE_PCISCAN
    > #include "k_compat.h"
    > #else
    > // #include "pci-scan.h"
    > #include "kern_compat.h"
    > #endif
    > which looks commented out to me, but I don't pretend to know C. Can
    > anyone tell me if I need to copy it too?
    No point in copying it, it will be used in the compilation. The # means
    that that line is dealt with by the C preprocessor. Effectively before
    compiling that file, it will include the contents of kern_compat.h in it,
    to benefit from it's declarations.

    This is basically to avoid having everything in one file, and to enable
    files to share declarations. Ironically the line above it _is_
    commented out (that's the //).

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:26:27AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 02:29, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:20:47AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > [...detailed install instructions cut...]
    > > > In para. 1. there is no directory like
    > > > /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/ - I cannot find any
    > > > *pcmcia*/include/. What should I do here?
    > >
    > > I'm no pcmcia guru, but try /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia. Or
    > > /usr/src/linux/drivers/pcmcia.
    >
    > The tree Debian installed is:
    >
    > /usr/src/rpm/BUILD [empty]
    > RPMS/athlon [empty]
    > i386 [empty]
    > i486 [empty]
    > i586 [empty]
    > i686 [empty]
    > noarch [empty]
    > SOURCES [empty]
    > SPECS [empty]
    > SRPMS [empty]
    >
    > So I'm guessing I need first to install a further package from the
    > Woody distibution cds in order to create and populate the 'linux'
    > branch of the tree. Any idea what package?
    You need the kernel header files. Try apt-cache search kernel-headers
    and grab the one that goes with your kernel. They'll go in
    /usr/src/<somedir>, create the symlink between that and /usr/src/linux.

    > RPMS? sounds like RH??
    Yes. Now I'm confused.

    > [...]
    > > > #include "kern_compat.h"
    > [...]
    > >
    > > No point in copying it, it will be used in the compilation. The #
    > > means that that line is dealt with by the C preprocessor.
    > > Effectively before compiling that file, it will include the
    > > contents of kern_compat.h in it, to benefit from it's declarations.
    > >
    > > This is basically to avoid having everything in one file, and to
    > > enable files to share declarations.
    >
    > So I _do_ need this file (kern_compat.h) to be in the directory to
    > which I have copied the rtl8139.c which I need to compile.
    Yes, otherwise how could it #include the contents?

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  4. #4

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 12:14, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 11:16, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > > You need the kernel header files. Try apt-cache search
    > > kernel-headers and grab the one that goes with your kernel.
    >
    > It may sound stupid, but I have no idea which kernel Debian has
    > installed. "bf24" tells me it is 2.4.x, but I don't know what x
    Ok - I've woken up. locate kernel gave me a stack of obvious answers
    - it's 2.4.18-bf2.4

    I'll give it a try

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  5. #5

    Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 11:16, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    >>You need the kernel header files. Try apt-cache search
    >>kernel-headers and grab the one that goes with your kernel.
    >

    > It may sound stupid, but I have no idea which kernel Debian has
    > installed. "bf24" tells me it is 2.4.x, but I don't know what x is.
    > I expect there is a way to find out - can anyone help me here?

    uname -r

    >>They'll go in /usr/src/<somedir>, create the symlink between that
    >>and /usr/src/linux.
    >>

    >>>RPMS? sounds like RH??
    >>
    >>Yes. Now I'm confused.
    >

    > I can only assume that "initializing" the partition did not in fact
    > delete everything. I did try a Mandrake install when I was getting
    > nowhere with drivers for the NIC on Debian. (At least Mandrake did
    > recognise the card...). Anyway, the drake is all gone, and I suppose
    > I can rmdir that little remnant.

    Initialising a partition would have deleted everything or nothing, and I
    would expect everything.

    The RPM stuff has probably been unpacked by your driver disk.

    It looks like the driver module is supposed to compile against pcmcia-cs
    (I'm not sure why). Possibly you need to get the source of this
    package. Woody uses 3.1.33, but you would want to get the source from
    the debian ftp server.

    On general principle, I treat linux drivers provided by hardware vendors
    as a last resort. If they're not brand new, then someone somewhere will
    have integrated them properly into the kernel (if they're open source)
    or ted them if they're not. You should try to get the standard
    Realtek driver to work before you resort to trying to use IBM's

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew McGuinness Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:14:18PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 11:16, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > [...]
    > > You need the kernel header files. Try apt-cache search
    > > kernel-headers and grab the one that goes with your kernel.
    >
    > It may sound stupid, but I have no idea which kernel Debian has
    > installed. "bf24" tells me it is 2.4.x, but I don't know what x is.
    > I expect there is a way to find out - can anyone help me here?
    If you pipe the output of the above command through grep bf, perhaps
    that will help. May I also suggest that you do some searching using
    google and/or the Debian reference, both of which will be very helpful
    to you.

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  7. #7

    Andrew McGuinness wrote:

    > The RPM stuff has probably been unpacked by your driver disk.
    >
    > It looks like the driver module is supposed to compile against pcmcia-cs
    > (I'm not sure why). Possibly you need to get the source of this
    > package. Woody uses 3.1.33, but you would want to get the source from
    > the debian ftp server.
    >
    > On general principle, I treat linux drivers provided by hardware vendors
    > as a last resort. If they're not brand new, then someone somewhere will
    > have integrated them properly into the kernel (if they're open source)
    > or ted them if they're not. You should try to get the standard
    > Realtek driver to work before you resort to trying to use IBM's

    More information:

    The driver you have been provided with seems to be a version of Donald
    Becker's 8139 driver. This was replaced in the standard kernel with a
    fork of it that is called 8139too.

    The first thing to try is (with the 2.4.18-bf24 kernel you are using)
    # modprobe 8139too

    It's a bit of a long shot but it's too easy not to try.

    If that fails, you need to go back to compiling the driver you have been
    given. It looks, as I said, as if it wants the source to pcmcia-cs. If
    you had a working network card, you could just

    # apt-get source pcmcia-cs

    Otherwise you'll have to obtain them from the debian source archive.

    As someone else pointed out, you also need the kernel-headers package
    that matches your kernel. I think you probably have that by default.

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew McGuinness Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:27:26PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 11:16, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    >
    > > > [...]
    > [...]
    > > > So I'm guessing I need first to install a further package from
    > > > the Woody distibution cds in order to create and populate the
    > > > 'linux' branch of the tree. Any idea what package?
    > >
    > > You need the kernel header files. Try apt-cache search
    > > kernel-headers and grab the one that goes with your kernel.
    > > They'll go in /usr/src/<somedir>, create the symlink between that
    > > and /usr/src/linux.
    >
    > Thanks, Antony - so far so good. I've installed the kernel headers,
    > and simlinked. But no pcmcia* subdirectory. There is a
    > /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia/ with 14 *.h files in it. I assumed
    > that must be the kind of thing it needs, particularly as one of them
    > (driver_ops.h) is named in an #include in rtl8319.c. So I altered
    > the command the manufacturer gave to
    > "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
    > -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o
    > -I/usr/src/linux/include/"
    >
    > But a lot of error messages flashed by too fast for me to read them,
    > and no output file was created. Can I slow down the error messages,
    > or do anything further before abandoning this?
    Use script. man script for details. Basically it's like a wrapper that
    records everything on your terminal between typing script and doing a
    Ctrl-d.

    But, as was pointed out earlier, you _could_ try modprobe 8139too.
    Don't know why I didn't think of that, I guess I didn't really pay
    attention to the file names. If that works - no need to compile
    anything!

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  9. #9

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 14:18, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    [...]
    > Use script. man script for details. Basically it's like a wrapper
    > that records everything on your terminal between typing script and
    > doing a Ctrl-d.
    >
    > But, as was pointed out earlier, you _could_ try modprobe 8139too.
    8139too exists in 2.2 kernel version, but not in the bf2.4 version.

    I used script. THis is what I got:
    ----------------------
    segaccia:~/down# ls gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
    -Wstrict-prototypes -O
    O6 -c rtl8319.c -o realtek_cb.o
    -I/usr/src/linux/include/
    [1P [1P [11 [13
    In file included from rtl8139.c:110:
    /usr/src/linux/include/linux/malloc.h:4: warning: #warning
    linux/malloc.h is deprecated, use linux/slab.h instead.
    In file included from rtl8139.c:130:
    kern_compat.h:463: warning: static declaration for
    `pci_find_capability'
    follows non-static
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_open':
    rtl8139.c:714: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c:715: structure has no member named `interrupt'
    rtl8139.c:716: structure has no member named `start'
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_timer':
    rtl8139.c:806: structure has no member named `interrupt'
    rtl8139.c:812: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_tx_timeout':
    rtl8139.c:939: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_start_xmit':
    rtl8139.c:970: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c:993: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c:997: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_interrupt':
    rtl8139.c:1022: structure has no member named `interrupt'
    rtl8139.c:1025: structure has no member named `interrupt'
    rtl8139.c:1122: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c:1123: `NET_BH' undeclared (first use in this function)
    rtl8139.c:1123: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    rtl8139.c:1123: for each function it appears in.)
    rtl8139.c:1198: structure has no member named `interrupt'
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_close':
    rtl8139.c:1321: structure has no member named `start'
    rtl8139.c:1322: structure has no member named `tbusy'
    rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_get_stats':
    rtl8139.c:1387: structure has no member named `start'
    segaccia:~/down#
    Script done on Wed Jul 30 15:35:27 2003
    ------------------------
    Looks to my inexpert eye like a trivial problem for an expert.
    But not for me.

    Perhaps someone here has already done this? If so, please email me
    the result...

    I suppose my only alternative route now is to start again with the
    standard version and ext2 partitions. I thought the ext3 was worth
    having on a laptop, where there is an extra risk of needing to unplug
    the power when it refuses to close down. I have had to do that once
    already, when a process refused to complete and left me unable to
    shut down, or even switch off!

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:56:21PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    <snip>

    > I suppose my only alternative route now is to start again with the
    > standard version and ext2 partitions. I thought the ext3 was worth
    > having on a laptop, where there is an extra risk of needing to unplug
    > the power when it refuses to close down. I have had to do that once
    > already, when a process refused to complete and left me unable to
    > shut down, or even switch off!

    you can convert an ext2 partition to an ext3 partition using a single
    command. These links from google provide more information.

    [url]http://www.linuxcompatible.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134[/url]

    [url]http://lugwash.washtenaw.cc.mi.us/linux-users/200111/0062.html[/url]

    So you can start with the standard woody kernel and get your network
    card running, after which you can download a new kernel with builtin
    support for your network card and ext3 and then convert your ext2
    partitions to ext3.

    sridhar

    Sridhar Srinivasan Guest

  11. #11

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 15:18, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
    [...]
    > My mistake, 8139too is built into bf2.4, not a module, so if it
    > worked, it would have picked up the card at boot time (or would it,
    > with the card being pcmcia, have needed some pcmcia-cs to run
    > first?).
    Oh, thanks andrew. That puts a completely different light on it. So
    I shall abandon the compilation. Good.

    [...]
    > I would recommend you stick with the bf2.4
    > kernel, and make sure you have the right kernel headers installed
    > in /usr/src:
    >
    > # apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4
    I've just done that, and...
    > If you still get the errors above, something's seriously y:
    > check what /usr/src/linux is pointing to (it's presumably a
    > symlink)
    ....and there was no /usr/src/linux, so I created a symlink to
    /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4

    So, is there something I should now do to activate the 8193too that is
    supposedly built in? Or alternatively, is it possible something is
    not yet installed for the pcmcia?

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  12. #12

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 15:38, Sridhar Srinivasan wrote:
    [...]
    > you can convert an ext2 partition to an ext3 partition using a
    > single command. These links from google provide more information.
    That easy, eh? Looks as though I am some kind of masochist, doing
    everything the hard way...
    > So you can start with the standard woody kernel and get your
    > network card running, after which you can download a new kernel
    > with builtin support for your network card and ext3 and then
    > convert your ext2 partitions to ext3.
    Thanks Sridhar. I guess I'll follow that advice if nothing wonderful
    happens in the next half hour. :-)

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  13. #13

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 03:55:29PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 15:18, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
    > [...]
    > > My mistake, 8139too is built into bf2.4, not a module, so if it
    > > worked, it would have picked up the card at boot time (or would it,
    > > with the card being pcmcia, have needed some pcmcia-cs to run
    > > first?).
    >
    > Oh, thanks andrew. That puts a completely different light on it. So
    > I shall abandon the compilation. Good.
    No, you've got the wrong end of the stick. 8139too is probably _not_
    right for your card. Hence you do need to compile the driver.

    What he was saying is that (if it had been right for your hardware),
    there is no need to insert it as a module as it's already part of the kernel.

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  14. #14

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 16:08, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    [...]
    > No, you've got the wrong end of the stick. 8139too is probably
    > _not_ right for your card. Hence you do need to compile the
    > driver.
    Rats! I have now tried the 2.2 standard install, and you are right -
    Andrew is right: the 8139too driver does not work. So this throws
    me into trying the method given at
    [url]http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall[/url]
    using the Morphix cover disk, or buying a new PCMCIA NIC at an
    exhorbitant price, or giving up on Debian...

    -- richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  15. #15

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 05:17:36PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 16:08, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    > > No, you've got the wrong end of the stick. 8139too is probably
    > > _not_ right for your card. Hence you do need to compile the
    > > driver.
    >
    > Rats! I have now tried the 2.2 standard install, and you are right -
    > Andrew is right: the 8139too driver does not work. So this throws
    > me into trying the method given at
    > [url]http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall[/url]
    > using the Morphix cover disk, or buying a new PCMCIA NIC at an
    > exhorbitant price, or giving up on Debian...

    Why can't you compile the driver? Now you have the kernel headers, it
    shouldn't be too difficult. I thought you stopped trying when you
    thought that 8139too might work.

    If you decide to try, it might help to post actual error output.

    Antony

    Antony Gelberg Guest

  16. #16

    On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 12:17, Richard Lyons wrote:
    > Rats! I have now tried the 2.2 standard install, and you are right -
    > Andrew is right: the 8139too driver does not work. So this throws
    > me into trying the method given at
    > [url]http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall[/url]
    > using the Morphix cover disk, or buying a new PCMCIA NIC at an
    > exhorbitant price, or giving up on Debian...
    I have used that procedure MANY times...

    Maybe even just use knoppix as the booting OS.

    I'll tell you I should edit that page to show how to do it with Knoppix
    as well also using the woody basedebs. I host that site
    [url]http://twiki.iwethey.org[/url] also [url]http://sco.iwethey.org[/url]

    and [url]http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/board/show?boardid=1[/url]

    Nice group of people (I'm included), it is NOT a "newbie site" as we
    have a(quite) few that slaughter posters that don't RTFM... or use
    common sense when discussing things. If you join in... wear you
    insulated asbestos flame-proof undergarments if you are not asking good
    questions or contributing good answers. Major plus there is the Breadth
    of SKILL there. We have some of the Best programmers and sysadmins in
    the world in our 420 users (120 monthly regulars).

    Welcome to those that can stand it.
    --
    greg, [email]greggregfolkert.net[/email]
    REMEMBER ED CURRY! [url]http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry[/url]

    Thine integral refractions upon a lump of coal exhibit multiple
    pulmonary geysers.

    Greg Folkert Guest

  17. #17

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 17:43, Antony Gelberg wrote:
    [...]
    > Why can't you compile the driver? Now you have the kernel headers,
    > it shouldn't be too difficult. I thought you stopped trying when
    > you thought that 8139too might work.
    >
    > If you decide to try, it might help to post actual error output.
    I did, about three hours ago. Here it is again (below). I'd post the
    C code as well but it's 1675 lines and another 570 in the
    kern_compat.h that it's complaining about.

    -------------------------------
[...]

    I really cannot make much sense of the errors reported.

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  18. #18

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 19:54, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
    > [...]
    > The cause of the errors was that linux/version.h was being included
    > from a 2.2 kernel, but linux/netdevice.h was being include from a
    > 2.4 kernel.
    Thanks Andrew. I'm impressed.

    > You said you installed kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 and symlinked it
    > to /usr/src/linux, and that might fix the compile.
    >
    > Make sure you do a "make clean" before you try again.
    I did not do make clean. Perhaps that is why it didn't work. I'll
    reinstall the bf2.4 and try again (I have gone back to the 2.2
    standard version in the meanwhile, but found the 8139TOO is indeed no
    use.) On second thoughts, I'll try the compile where I am now, and
    see about upgrading the kernel afterwards. I'll let you know if it
    works.

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  19. #19

    On Wednesday 30 July 2003 19:54, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
    [...]
    > The cause of the errors was that linux/version.h was being included
    > from a 2.2 kernel, but linux/netdevice.h was being include from a
    > 2.4 kernel.
    Thanks Andrew.

    We _may_ be getting somewhere.

    I have two version.h files:
    /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/linux/version.h
    /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/pcmcia/version.h

    diff says:
    1,3c1,4
    < #define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.18-bf2.4"
    < #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132114
    < #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
    ---
    > /* version.h 1.94 2000/10/03 17:55:48 (David Hinds) */
    >
    > #define CS_RELEASE "3.1.22"
    > #define CS_RELEASE_CODE 0x3116
    Should I rename one of them for the compile? or symlink one location
    to the other having renamed the unwanted one?

    I have only one netdevice.h:
    /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/linux/netdevice.h

    Does that make sense?

    > You said you installed kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4 and symlinked it
    > to /usr/src/linux, and that might fix the compile.
    It didn't :-(
    > Make sure you do a "make clean" before you try again.
    I have a complete fresh install!

    --
    richard

    Richard Lyons Guest

  20. #20

    Richard Lyons wrote:
    > On Wednesday 30 July 2003 19:54, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
    > [...]
    >
    >>The cause of the errors was that linux/version.h was being included
    >>from a 2.2 kernel, but linux/netdevice.h was being include from a
    >>2.4 kernel.
    >

    > Thanks Andrew.
    >
    > We _may_ be getting somewhere.
    >
    > I have two version.h files:
    > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/linux/version.h
    > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/pcmcia/version.h
    >
    > diff says:
    > 1,3c1,4
    > < #define UTS_RELEASE "2.4.18-bf2.4"
    > < #define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132114
    > < #define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 8) + (c))
    > ---
    > > /* version.h 1.94 2000/10/03 17:55:48 (David Hinds) */
    > >
    > > #define CS_RELEASE "3.1.22"
    > > #define CS_RELEASE_CODE 0x3116
    >
    > Should I rename one of them for the compile? or symlink one location
    > to the other having renamed the unwanted one?
    >
    > I have only one netdevice.h:
    > /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4/include/linux/netdevice.h
    >
    > Does that make sense?

    include/pcmcia/version.h isn't a problem.

    The errors you quoted from you compile are in code that shouldn't be
    compiled unless LINUX_VERSION_CODE indicates a 2.2 kernel, at least in
    the rtl8139.c I picked up from scyld.com.

    So either, a different LINUX_VERSION_CODE is being picked up from
    somewhere else, or the rtl8139.c you have been provided is so old or
    hacked up that it only supports 2.2 kernels.

    Options for continuing:

    a) Try to go back completely to 2.2 and compile with that. I don't
    really recommend that, as being stuck with 2.2 kernel will hold you back
    on other things.

    b) Find out where the rtl8139.c on your floppy disk came from. If it is
    patched or modified by the manufacturer, try to find if they have a
    newer version.
    If the changelog doesn't suggest it has been modified by anyone but
    Donald Becker, go to [url]http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html[/url]
    and follow the instructoins there. (That means downloading the four
    files rtl8139.c kern_compat.h pci_scan.h, pci_scan.c and doing roughly
    what you've been doing).

    If that sounds a bit much, I'll try compiling it all for you tonight or
    Saturday morning. I'm getting kind of hooked on this problem.

    It might help if you mail the rtl8139.c you have to me (I don't think
    it's of much value to the list generally)

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew McGuinness Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast