Professional Web Applications Themes

More questions on Thoth - is it a good replacement for MT-NW - Mac Networking

Hi all Many thanks to all who've answered my questions so far. Right now I'm using MT Newswatcher and have been happy with it, but it's starting to show its age and I'm looking at others. Thoth looks like a good replacement. I've some more questions before I plunk down my money for it. First question: If I'm downloading binaries do I have a way of picking where I download them to each time, or do I have to use the default? The reason I'm asking this is that the inline viewing doesn't work unless you've specified a default folder, ...

  1. #1

    Default More questions on Thoth - is it a good replacement for MT-NW

    Hi all

    Many thanks to all who've answered my questions so far.

    Right now I'm using MT Newswatcher and have been happy with it, but
    it's starting to show its age and I'm looking at others. Thoth looks
    like a good replacement. I've some more questions before I plunk down
    my money for it.

    First question:
    If I'm downloading binaries do I have a way of picking where I download
    them to each time, or do I have to use the default?

    The reason I'm asking this is that the inline viewing doesn't work
    unless you've specified a default folder, so is there a quick way to
    override this. It seems that the general idea is to use the image
    browser instead, and deal with them from there.

    Second question:
    If I'm using the image browser to check binaries, how do I get the
    default folder to automaticly deleat unwanted binaries?

    --
    com
    Aut Caesar Aut Nihil

  2. #2

    In article <211020030050485482%com>,
    James Wall <com> wrote:

    You are comparing Thoth to the latest MT-NewsWatcher on OS X?

    I'm stuck on OS 9. Can't use classic MT-NW for binaries, because it
    corrupts yEnc articles; the fix is OS X only. Tried Thoth, HogWasher,
    and MacSoup. Thoth is the least offensive of the group, but that's not
    saying much. It's queue is nice, but the program is slow and very very
    crashy. I really really miss MT-NW.

    As for "show its age"... After looking at some of the features that PC
    newsreaders offer... ours aren't just old, they're stone age.

    In Thoth, edit the newsgroup prefs. In that dialog, you can select
    where to stash things. If you want the pref to work for a whole tree of
    newsgroups, you have to specify it as "a.b.c." - note the dot at the end.

    I don't think you can. But I've not explored this much; Thoth is so
    slow to view individual articles, I just queued things and let them
    download...

    - Dan.
    --
    - Psychoceramic Emeritus
    - South Jersey, USA, Earth

  3. #3

    James Wall wrote:

    Yes (Extract Binaries Manually), but it's more efficient to use the default
    folder to keep them organised, for viewing in the browser.

    Click on the trash icon in the browser to delete a file as you
    view it.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    I prefer MT-Newswatcher. Thoth isn't free and it's definitely NOT worth
    the price. MT-Newswatcher does about everything it does for free.

    James Wall <com> wrote:

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  5. #5

    In article <bn3gsq$t78o3$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dan Cottler <com> wrote:

    > You are comparing Thoth to the latest MT-NewsWatcher on OS X?[/ref]

    Yep! It is sooo easy to forget to add all the little pieces of info
    that make messages like this one understandable. I used to rant and rant
    about stupid people till I found out that they were me.

    Gee OS9, what nastaliga. On the rare occasions that I boot back into OS9
    I always find it to be crashy.

    If your runing os9 them you can't do Unix, but they have some really
    cool newsreaders also. I've found the PC newsreaders to be overrated,
    though others have disagreed with me.

    > In Thoth, edit the newsgroup prefs. In that dialog, you can select
    > where to stash things. If you want the pref to work for a whole tree of
    > newsgroups, you have to specify it as "a.b.c." - note the dot at the end.
    >

    > I don't think you can. But I've not explored this much; Thoth is so
    > slow to view individual articles, I just queued things and let them
    > download...
    >
    > - Dan.[/ref]

    Many thanks for the help

    --
    com

    "Aut Caesar Aut Nihil"
    rtbinc Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Yes (Extract Binaries Manually), but it's more efficient to use the default
    > folder to keep them organised, for viewing in the browser.[/ref]

    Hmm, I'm not sure I like that. though I'll have to think about this

    > Click on the trash icon in the browser to delete a file as you
    > view it.[/ref]

    When I tried it it deleted the binary from the image browser, but not
    from the default folder I set up. I'll try again maybe I missed
    something.

    Many thanks.

    --
    com

    "Aut Caesar Aut Nihil"
    rtbinc Guest

  7. #7

    In article <211020030050485482%com>, James Wall
    <com> wrote:

    Yes. When you want to override your default downloads folder, just hold
    down the "option" key on your keyboard as you select "Extract Binaries"
    from the "Special" menu. Or even quicker, simply press the keyboard
    shortcut "option-commnand-B". Thoth will then present you with a
    standard file dialog where you can choose a different folder for that
    specific binary file (or group of binaries if you had selected multiple
    items).

    There are other modifier keys associated with the "Extract Binaries"
    feature that I don't remember off the top of my head, although I'm sure
    they're in the User Manual or in the revision history. One useful one
    that I do remember is to hold the "shift" key while you select "Extract
    Binaries". This will place the binary at the top of the "Queued
    Transfers List", even if there were already some other items queued up.

    I don't believe there's a way to override the default folder for inline
    viewing (I'm not sure if this would even make much sense), but the
    trick I just explained works for your normal brand of downloads. :-)

    If you want to delete the image only from the catalog (but keep it in
    your default downloads folder), select it and press the delete key. If
    you want to delete the image from both the image catalog AND your
    downloads folder (this will *permanently* delete the file), select the
    image in the catalog and hold down the "option" key while you press
    "delete".

    If you use Thoth on OS X, be sure to use the version that is
    specifically for OS X instead of the one that is for both OS 9 and OS X
    (you can find both versions on Thoth's home page). It fixes a stability
    issue under OS X, especially with dual processor Macs. I've never had a
    crash with this version, and I do a lot of binary downloading and
    viewing.

    As for the speed problems that others are reporting, I haven't seen it
    here. What usually slows me down and is the bottleneck on my system is
    the speed of the news server. Maybe this is due to other system
    configuration issues. Also, I haven't used the OS 9 version of Thoth in
    ages, so I have no idea how it stands. It's very possible that there
    may be problems under OS 9 that are not apparent under OS X.

    --
    Martin Nadeau
    Martin Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>, George Williams
    <com> wrote:

    I find it more effecient to extract binaries manually (with Thoth) and
    create new folders on the desktop to hold the pieces as needed.
    Sometimes it takes a few hours to get a complete file and I'd rather
    not deal with the clutter yet have it accessible on the desktop.

    I don't think there's a "right" or "better" way, the point is that
    Thoth does have the preference to go either way.

    --
    http://www.momathome.com/
    If you want to reply to me, please go to my website and find the email link

  9. #9

    In article <221020031425076592%com>,
    Martin Nadeau <com> wrote:

    Thoth 1.7.1
    MT-NewsWatcher 3.1
    on my PowerMac 7300/180, Mac OS 9.2.2, cable modem
    talking to dfn.de and AstraWeb

    Double-click on an article to open it in MT-NW - delay <2 seconds. Same
    article takes almost 10 seconds to fetch and display in Thoth.

    Binary downloading, without decode, 4 connections to AstraWeb... by an
    external monitor, I see speeds that peg the 600 Kbps cap when using
    MT-NW. When I download the same multi-part binaries with Thoth, it
    rarely goes faster than 520 Kbps.

    FWIW,
    - Dan.
    --
    - Psychoceramic Emeritus
    - South Jersey, USA, Earth

  10. #10

    In article <bn6pav$t51mb$news.uni-berlin.de>, Dan Cottler
    <com> wrote:

    > Thoth 1.7.1
    > MT-NewsWatcher 3.1
    > on my PowerMac 7300/180, Mac OS 9.2.2, cable modem
    > talking to dfn.de and AstraWeb
    >
    > Double-click on an article to open it in MT-NW - delay <2 seconds. Same
    > article takes almost 10 seconds to fetch and display in Thoth.
    >
    > Binary downloading, without decode, 4 connections to AstraWeb... by an
    > external monitor, I see speeds that peg the 600 Kbps cap when using
    > MT-NW. When I download the same multi-part binaries with Thoth, it
    > rarely goes faster than 520 Kbps.[/ref]

    Weird. Could there be something else in your system configuration (or
    some setting in Thoth's preferences) that happens to affect Thoth and
    not MT-NW? Or as I said, there could be a problem with the OS 9 version
    of Thoth that doesn't transfer to OS X.

    I haven't run tests on binary download speeds, but I can say that here
    with a cable modem, articles appear almost instantaneously. There's not
    even a 2 second delay, it just appears in a fraction of a second.
    Certainly not a delay of 10 seconds, that's for sure.

    --
    Martin Nadeau
    Martin Guest

  11. #11

    In article <231020032123246464%com>,
    Martin Nadeau <com> wrote:

    > Weird. Could there be something else in your system configuration (or
    > some setting in Thoth's preferences) that happens to affect Thoth and
    > not MT-NW? Or as I said, there could be a problem with the OS 9
    > version of Thoth that doesn't transfer to OS X.
    >
    > I haven't run tests on binary download speeds, but I can say that
    > here with a cable modem, articles appear almost instantaneously.
    > There's not even a 2 second delay, it just appears in a fraction of a
    > second. Certainly not a delay of 10 seconds, that's for sure.[/ref]

    Anything is possible, I guess. I've gone thru all the prefs of both
    programs. Turned off header cacheing and such - anything that might be
    giving Thoth other things to do. My current belief is that Thoth is
    simply not very well written - so it requires a faster computer to hide
    its plodding.

    The most telling thing is to watch with IPNetMonitor. Select an article
    in MT-NW and hit return - you immediately see i/o blit, then as soon as
    the article arrives, it is immediately displayed. With Thoth, you hit
    return pause pause i/o, then the article arrives, pause pause pause
    pause pause pause article is displayed.

    - Dan.
    --
    - Psychoceramic Emeritus
    - South Jersey, USA, Earth

  12. #12

    Dan Cottler wrote:

    God forbid there's some CPU-hogging conflict between Thoth and IPM.
    But when I select an article subject line in Thoth, then hit return,
    the text window shows up immediately (actually too fast to note the
    Tx and Rx speeds in MenuMeters).
    George Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bnbdnt$v313j$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dan Cottler <com> wrote:

    > > Weird. Could there be something else in your system configuration (or
    > > some setting in Thoth's preferences) that happens to affect Thoth and
    > > not MT-NW? Or as I said, there could be a problem with the OS 9
    > > version of Thoth that doesn't transfer to OS X.
    > >
    > > I haven't run tests on binary download speeds, but I can say that
    > > here with a cable modem, articles appear almost instantaneously.
    > > There's not even a 2 second delay, it just appears in a fraction of a
    > > second. Certainly not a delay of 10 seconds, that's for sure.[/ref]
    >
    > Anything is possible, I guess. I've gone thru all the prefs of both
    > programs. Turned off header cacheing and such - anything that might be
    > giving Thoth other things to do. My current belief is that Thoth is
    > simply not very well written - so it requires a faster computer to hide
    > its plodding.
    >
    > The most telling thing is to watch with IPNetMonitor. Select an article
    > in MT-NW and hit return - you immediately see i/o blit, then as soon as
    > the article arrives, it is immediately displayed. With Thoth, you hit
    > return pause pause i/o, then the article arrives, pause pause pause
    > pause pause pause article is displayed.
    >
    > - Dan.[/ref]

    Hmmm, well it looks like there's some disagreement here. I've simply not
    seen that much difference between the two programs. Their heritage shows
    strongly. Mr Nordstrom's original progam was light and clean with a
    strong solid feature set in a clean net package. Both programs are
    beginning to bloat without getting the basic feature set that takes it
    into the next wave. They're not taking advantage of Coca or any of the
    new tools that MacOSX is providing. It looks like there isn't enough
    difference to make a switch.

    Many thanks all.

    --
    com