Professional Web Applications Themes

more than 36 photographs on a roll? - Photography

I get 37 to 38 on a 36 exposure roll with my Nikon N70. Ross - Jan Keirse wrote: > Hello, > > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film (at a > very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm films > that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot cheaper ;-) > > Kind regards, > > Jan > -- > Codito ergo sum - /(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question > Jan Keirse: [email]jan.keirsepandora.be[/email] Tel.: +32 51 22 11 ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: more than 36 photographs on a roll?

    Jan Keirse wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film (at a
    > very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm films
    > that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot cheaper ;-)
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan
    > --
    > Codito ergo sum - /(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question
    > Jan Keirse: [email]jan.keirsepandora.be[/email] Tel.: +32 51 22 11 82
    > Website: [url]http://jankeirse.free.fr[/url]
    Ross Peebles Guest

  3. #3

    No. 36 is the highest possible. The negs would be too thin if there were any
    more exposures on a 35mm roll. Try APS.

    "Jan Keirse" <jan.keirsepandora.be> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film
    (at a
    > very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm
    films
    > that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot
    cheaper ;-)

    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan
    > --
    > Codito ergo sum - /(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question
    > Jan Keirse: [email]jan.keirsepandora.be[/email] Tel.: +32 51 22 11 82
    > Website: [url]http://jankeirse.free.fr[/url]

    Polytone Guest

  4. #4

    Jan Keirse wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film (at a
    > very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm films
    > that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot cheaper ;-)
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan
    Many cameras will expose 37 or even 38 frames on a standard roll.

    If you "roll your own" from bulk stock you can get up to about 40
    frames into a cassette. You can save money doing this, but it is a pain
    to do, and the risk of scratches is higher.

    Alan

    Alan Browne Guest

  5. #5

    Also, some of the older manual focus cameras - I'm only familiar with the
    Canon F-1 but I'm sure other makers did this - had an accessory available
    which allowed up to 250 frames - bulk loaded of course. It's a "film back"
    which replaces the normal back, and includes large magazines for the film on
    either side of the camera. Pretty bulky, but I imagine if you're doing a
    lot of motor drive/action shooting it could really come in handy.

    Ken

    Guest

  6. #6

    John Garrison <jonnycandoyoumustremovethis.adelphia.net> wrote:
    > It would make for a very crowded cassette, I don't know of any with this
    > much film in it.
    Me neither. Probably noone makes it. I was just wondering if it existed because
    I thought maybe it might be possible to make thinner film that still works.
    Aparrently it isn't. (Or it would be to expensive or I don't know ;-))

    Greets,

    Jan
    Jan Keirse Guest

  7. #7

    It would make for a very crowded cassette, I don't know of any with this
    much film in it.

    "Jan Keirse" <jan.keirsepandora.be> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film
    (at a
    > very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm
    films
    > that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot
    cheaper ;-)

    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Jan
    > --
    > Codito ergo sum - /(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question
    > Jan Keirse: [email]jan.keirsepandora.be[/email] Tel.: +32 51 22 11 82
    > Website: [url]http://jankeirse.free.fr[/url]

    John Garrison Guest

  8. #8

    Jan Keirse <jan.keirsepandora.be> writes:
    > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film
    > (at a very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist
    > 35mm films that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a
    > hell lot cheaper ;-)
    I had a friend who bulk-loaded a lot more film on a 35mm cassette than was
    intended. Then he found that the exposed film wouldn't fit on his
    developing reel. :-> I suspect the same problem would arise with your local
    shop.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    [url]http://www.PhilipStripling.com/[/url] | my domain is read daily.
    Phil Stripling Guest

  9. #9

    In article <d0l0hvcp8ndh0ck9oa0ochqrklfindgdtb4ax.com>, Dean Van Praotl
    <no.spammy.email.adr> writes:

    >I had (still have) a half-frame 35mm camera. There were a number of
    >them available in the 1960s and 70s... Problem is, what you save on
    >film, they're gonna dun you on extra cost for processing. You
    >wouldn't save much, I think.
    My Minolta XK counter goes to "40" which comes in handy when you lose the first
    few shots, so in that regard it works very well.
    Vince
    Check out my listings on E-Bay
    Look under "BOOKMAGS"

    Vince Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:42:28 GMT, "Polytone" <polytoneprodigy.net>
    wrote:
    >No. 36 is the highest possible. The negs would be too thin if there were any
    >more exposures on a 35mm roll. Try APS.
    In the spirit of Usenet nitpickery, I'll point out that it's not
    unusual to get 37 pictures on a 36 exposure roll. You *might* be able
    to push it to 38 or 39 or even 40.
    --

    Pete McCutchen
    Pete McCutchen Guest

  11. #11

    Jan Keirse wrote:
    > at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film
    (at a
    > very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm
    films
    > that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot
    cheaper ;-)

    Ilford used to sell (thin base version) of one (or more, i don't remember)
    of their films in regular 35 mm cassettes that held double the amount of
    exposures. So yes.

    This long roll thing never was a commercial succes. Why?
    On the other hand, shorter rolls, 24 or even 12 exposure films are still
    available. So maybe even 36 exposure rolls are a bit long already? ;-)

    Q.G. de Bakker Guest

  12. #12

    Fritz Dold wrote:
    > Bulk loading thin film like Kodak's Technical Pan would probaby yield more
    > than 60 frames per roll, but then (as already mentioned) developing would be
    > difficult, although it is possible to cut the extra long film in the
    > darkroom for two reels. This will most likely destroy one frame.
    >

    > Fritz

    And, according to Murphy, that frame will be the best shot you ever took.

    Bob

    Bob Sull Guest

  13. #13

    << Do there exist 35mm films
    that can contain like 60 photographs? >><BR><BR>

    Many years ago Ilford made 72 exposure rolls of black and white film with a
    thinner backing that allowed so much film to work in a regular 35mm camera. It
    was eventually proven to be commericially unsucessful and they abandoned it.

    dan
    EDGY01 Guest

  14. #14

    Olympus, if I recall, made such a camera, no?

    Patrick

    Colyn <colyngswbell.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:28:17 GMT, Jan Keirse <jan.keirsepandora.be>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >at my local photo shop I can develop my films for a fixed price per film
    (at a
    > >very good quality to my opinion). I was wondering. Do there exist 35mm
    films
    > >that can contain like 60 photographs? It would make life a hell lot
    cheaper ;-)

    > If you have a half frame 35mm camera you can get 72 pics. But most
    > labs are set up to do full frame 35mm..
    >

    > ************************************************** **
    > ************************************************** **
    > Colyn Goodson
    >
    > Ft. Worth, Texas
    >
    > [url]http://home.swbell.net/colyng[/url]
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com[/url]
    >
    > 625 and 675 mercury battery fix
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/minolta.htm[/url]
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/cameras.htm[/url]
    >
    > Camera manuals
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.htm[/url]
    >
    > For Sale
    >
    > [url]http://www.colyngoodson.com/sale.htm[/url]

    Patrick L. Guest

  15. #15

    Ross Peebles <roscoep_88> wrote in message
    > I get 37 to 38 on a 36 exposure roll with my Nikon N70.
    >
    > Ross -
    Same with my F5, but I don't know weather I could get a canister in the
    supply slot that was big enough to hold 60 pictures......Sometimes I have a
    little trouble getting the regular size in and out of the space.......

    William Graham Guest

  16. #16

    William Graham <weg9comcast.net> wrote:

    > Ross Peebles <roscoep_88> wrote in message
    >> I get 37 to 38 on a 36 exposure roll with my Nikon N70.
    >>
    >> Ross -
    > Same with my F5, but I don't know weather I could get a canister in the
    > supply slot that was big enough to hold 60 pictures......Sometimes I have a
    > little trouble getting the regular size in and out of the space.......
    Well, so do I ;-) Probably thats because the film manufacturers want to be sure
    there can fit at least 36 photographs on them, but when you don't load the film
    to well, you might loose one or two...

  17. #17

    Patrick L. wrote:
    > Olympus, if I recall, made such a camera, no?
    >

    > Patrick

    Yes, the Pen F was one.

    Bob

    Bob Sull Guest

  18. #18

    I remember a half frame Nikromat from the 70s. Some dude in my photo
    journalism class has one. Thought he could get lots of shots from a
    roll. I lost track of that guy though. Its been a long time.

    columbotrek Guest

  19. #19

    On other cameras I have shot usually 37 shots per roll. However since I
    bought my Elan IIE I have been unable to get more than 36, ever. I have
    wondered if this is the maximum permitted by the camera software.
    Does anyone know?

    Dave

    "Vince" <holvbphotocs.com> wrote in message
    > In article <d0l0hvcp8ndh0ck9oa0ochqrklfindgdtb4ax.com>, Dean Van Praotl
    > <no.spammy.email.adr> writes:
    >

    > >I had (still have) a half-frame 35mm camera. There were a number of
    > >them available in the 1960s and 70s... Problem is, what you save on
    > >film, they're gonna dun you on extra cost for processing. You
    > >wouldn't save much, I think.
    >
    > My Minolta XK counter goes to "40" which comes in handy when you lose the
    first
    > few shots, so in that regard it works very well.
    > Vince
    > Check out my listings on E-Bay
    > Look under "BOOKMAGS"

    Dave Guest

  20. #20

    > Please bear in mind that many modern cameras don't permit mor than 36
    > exposures, at least this is the case with Canon EOS cameras. They just
    > stop/rewind after 36 frames. Other cameras are more tolerant.
    On the EOS 300 I get 36 exposures on Kodak, but 37 on Fuji.

    The Real Lee Casey

    The Real Lee Casey Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast