Professional Web Applications Themes

More ... Thinking of Getting a Mac questions ... - Mac Applications & Software

First, thanks for the earlier insights. Another question: Any wireless issues? I am on a Links Wifi system that works perfectly with my Windows machine. Should I expect anything different if I get a Mac? Is there a third party program like iSpell that installs in a Safari and allows websites, writing on websites, to be spell-checked? Mac-friends tell me that if I have any problems, to just get a Windows for Mac program. Is that true? And will it eliminate the problem I do run into with sites that don't like Macs, such as Fidelity Power Broker or Interactive ...

  1. #1

    Default More ... Thinking of Getting a Mac questions ...

    First, thanks for the earlier insights.

    Another question: Any wireless issues? I am on a Links Wifi system
    that works perfectly with my Windows machine. Should I expect anything
    different if I get a Mac?

    Is there a third party program like iSpell that installs in a Safari
    and allows websites, writing on websites, to be spell-checked?

    Mac-friends tell me that if I have any problems, to just get a Windows
    for Mac program. Is that true? And will it eliminate the problem I do
    run into with sites that don't like Macs, such as Fidelity Power
    Broker or Interactive Brokers, and either don't run them or require
    writing some .jar code every time, which is a pain.

    I spend about half my time teaching and writing, and expect Mac to
    work fine. And I'll either get Entourage or make do with iCal/Mail for
    my PIM needs. But Mac, and this is why I went to Windows two years
    ago, just isn't adopted in the financial world, where I spend the
    other half of my time. Besides the aforementioned sites, I can think
    of one other software program, OptionVue, that just isn't compatible
    and there are no comparable substitutes. I am sure there are many
    others in the financial world. Is this ever going to change? What are
    the trends? Will Windows for Mac fix this? Or do I need to keep a
    Wintel machine around?

    Thanks again ...
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: More ... Thinking of Getting a Mac questions ...

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Kilo) wrote:

    Unless it's 802.11a (not many wireless systems are), it'll work fine
    with your Mac.

    How about Safari? :) Most Mac OS X applications, including Safari, have
    built-in spell checking.

    If something's using .jar files, it's Java, and it should work fine on
    your Mac.

    If you do need compatibility with Windows, though, you can buy a copy of
    Virtual PC from Microsoft. It's a PC emulator. It'll run a bit slowly,
    but on a new Mac it should be fast enough for most software to run fine.

    One caveat: Virtual PC isn't supported on the PowerMac G5 yet. If
    you're thinking of getting a G5, you may have to wait a while before
    Virtual PC is available for it.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Kilo) wrote:

    Nope. Works great.

    Yes.

    Oh, you want the name? Damn. Hold on ...

    SpellCatcher.

    (OS X includes a built-in automatic spell check for many programs, but I
    think you'll need SpellCatcher if you want EVERYTHING you see on screen
    to be spell-checked)

    Well ... yes, it's true. You COULD do that. Kind of a lazy way out IMHO,
    and there are no Windows solutions for the new G5 (yet), but ...

    Yes, but I've found that if I enable Safari's "debug" menu item and tell
    Safari to PRETEND to be MSIE 6.0, I don't have this problem. YMMV.

    Mail/AddressBook/iCal/iSync works VERY well, but requires a .Mac account
    (not a bad idea, actually) for full usefulness.

    Financial software will continue to be an area where Macs lag behind
    PCs, because everyone knows you are not supposed to use Macs for things
    that are not fun. :)

    Having said that, Quickbooks is back for the Mac, and that may lead
    other financial software houses to explore financial programs for the
    Mac as OS X's adoption continues to grow. You should also have a look
    here:
    http://guide.apple.com/uscategories/business.lasso

    Yes, it works great.

    Keeping a Wintel machine around is an option, but it's primarily a good
    idea if what you need to do on it requires lots of speed. That's the
    area where the Windows-on-Mac software tends to fall down. That and PC
    games.

    Go to your nearest Apple Retail store and ask for a demo of Virtual PC.
    I think you'll be impressed.
    --
    Cheers,
    _Chas_

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    net (David Kilo) wrote:

    Yes, you should, unlike windows, expect it to work.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>, David
    Kilo <net> wrote:

    You might find versiontracker.com a useful site. You can do a search in
    the OS X field and put in a word (e.g., "spell*) and get some idea of
    what third party apps are available in a category, as well as reviews
    of the programs.

    Virtual PC was recently bought by Microsoft. It isn't clear what
    upgrading will be done on the program, which used to be a very good
    program.

    You might consider networking your Windows machine to your Mac until
    you find out whether you can do without it.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  6. #6

    David Kilo <net> wrote:

    Unless it is 802.11a is will work just fine.
    There is a 3rd party program called Spell Catcher but OS X Services also
    has spell checking so you can do it for free in all Cocoa and many
    carbon applications.
    Virtual PC is a viable in many cases. Another solution is to find
    applications for the Mac that do the same thing as your Windows
    software. A third solution is to do business with companies that will
    support the Mac. That's why I changed banks 2 years ago. My old bank
    supported only Internet Exploder in Windows even though there was no
    real reason to do so. My new bank supports the Mac and I get better
    service all around.
    As I said, there are many solutions. Personally, I have a home PC that
    gathers dust except when I am working in Access. (Hey, if I could get
    those few clients who insist on using it to move to another application,
    I would.) Usually Virtual PC is all I need but Access and HUGE database
    files doesn't always get along with VPC

    And about the only time I use VPC is to test my java applets to make
    sure they work in Windoz.
    Strider Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:35:37 GMT, Strider <com> wrote:
    > Unless it is 802.11a is will work just fine.[/ref]

    If you're connecting by network cable *to* the wireless gear, no
    problems. If you're connecting wirelessly, 802.11a only talks to
    802.11a, and the apple hardware talks either 'b' or 'g'.

    A fourth solution is to stick a PC in a corner running Linux, VMWare, and
    a Windows instance in the VM, Xdisplayed to the Mac. I really need to write
    up my "howto" guide on that, but it's pretty nice.

    Dave Guest

  8. #8

    I found and had no problem getting around Interactive broker site -
    I do not have an account, so I can not verify that, that part would
    work. but nothing seemed a problem. including a listing of posted messages.

    OS X 10.2.6, Safari v1.0., G4/500/DP

    Fetch, Guest

  9. #9

    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    Why is this a better alternative than sticking my PC with windows in the
    corner?
    Strider Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:07:08 GMT, Strider <com> wrote:
    > Why is this a better alternative than sticking my PC with windows in the
    > corner?[/ref]

    Depends on if you have desk space for the PC or not, I suppose. It also
    saves printer hassles - share out the Mac's printer, use it with the
    Windows instance in the VM. Works well; a bit fiddly to set up. If I
    had the desk space for the PC, I'd probably just use it directly, but this
    was a fun project as well.

    Dave

    Dave Guest

  11. #11

    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > > Why is this a better alternative than sticking my PC with windows in the
    > > corner?[/ref]
    >
    > Depends on if you have desk space for the PC or not, I suppose.[/ref]

    How does the PC take up less desk space running Linux than it does
    running Windows?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  12. #12

    In article <1g1vxw0.18y853z1wrpblqN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    Maybe not PHYSICAL space, BUT psychic and emotional space ...

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  13. #13

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:10:39 -0400, Mike Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > How does the PC take up less desk space running Linux than it does
    > running Windows?[/ref]

    Ah, I understand now. Perhaps I neglected the bit about the PC in
    question being down in the basement, networked in. I've got a stack of
    servers down there for various purposes, and basically regard the PC
    as just another application server - the application it serves happens
    to be this buggy thing called "windows", but in a VMWare instance, it
    acts just like any other X-displayed application.

    So, it's still occupying space, but that space is in the basement...

    Dave Hinz
    Dave Guest