Professional Web Applications Themes

Most stable Jaguar version - Mac Applications & Software

I have remained with 10.2.3 . What is the most stable Jag version to upgrade to while waiting for panther to stabilize and get bugs out?...

  1. #1

    Default Most stable Jaguar version

    I have remained with 10.2.3 . What is the most stable Jag version to
    upgrade to while waiting for panther to stabilize and get bugs out?
    RPS Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Most stable Jaguar version

    In article <201020031521153482%void>, RPS <void>
    wrote:

    Depends on your definition of "stable." Mine is: OS doesn't crash. For
    that definition, any version of OSX satisfies.

    --
    George Graves
    George Guest

  3. #3

    wrote:

    :> I have remained with 10.2.3 . What is the most stable Jag version to
    :> upgrade to while waiting for panther to stabilize and get bugs out?

    [ advocacy group removed from reply ]

    You've obviously got a different definition of stable from a great many
    others, since tons of us went happily along to 10.2.6. So that question
    will be difficult to answer without a detailed understanding of your
    motivations for considering something stable.

    And if you're expecting Panther (or any other complex software program)
    to *ever* completely be bug-free, you must be living in an alternate
    universe where reality doesn't apply. :-)

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  4. #4

    Steve W. Jackson <net> wrote:

    Maybe I wasn't clear. I have remained with 10.2.3 not because I
    considered it especially stable but because of inertia and that updates
    over modem line weren't exactly appealing. Now that Jag development has
    stopped, I thought I should get the "best" version and live with it
    until I decide to buy a major upgrade such as 10.3 or 10.4.

    Raghu
    RPS Guest

  5. #5

    In article <201020031521153482%void>, RPS <void>
    wrote:

    I would recommend at least for now to stop at 10.2.6.

    Dale J.
    --

    Guest

  6. #6

    In article <201020031521153482%void>, RPS <void>
    wrote:

    My experience parallels that of another poster. 10.2.6 (i.e. the latest
    version less one) has been the most stable. Kernel panics are extremely
    rare, and I only reboot when I install something that requires it.

    Of course, stability depends on the hardware you use. The latest
    version, 10.2.8, was a disaster on my beige G3 and some other machines.
    But others haven't had any problem with it, and it does have some useful
    security patches and Bluetooth improvements.

    Last but not least:

    http://www.macfixit.com/index.php

    is a good place to check for OS X problems.

    --Mike Perry, Seattle, WA
    Author: Untangling Tolkien

    --
    ****************
    Preorder Lord of the Ring DVDs and videos.

  7. #7

    "George Graves" <net> wrote in message

    > Depends on your definition of "stable." Mine is: OS doesn't crash. For
    > that definition, any version of OSX satisfies.
    >
    > --
    > George Graves[/ref]

    Gee.. You're lucky. My friend went to a meeting where a person using a Ti PB
    to take note and it kept freezing up and needed rebooting. Don't know what
    version of OSX though.

    leo Guest

  8. #8

    In article <LZ_kb.4175$news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    "leo" <net> wrote:

    > > Depends on your definition of "stable." Mine is: OS doesn't crash. For
    > > that definition, any version of OSX satisfies.
    > >
    > > --
    > > George Graves[/ref]
    >
    > Gee.. You're lucky. My friend went to a meeting where a person using a Ti PB
    > to take note and it kept freezing up and needed rebooting. Don't know what
    > version of OSX though.[/ref]

    It's not luck. If one has a machine that's freezing under OSX - ANY OSX
    version, it's not because of the OS, it's a hardware problem. Usually,
    freezes such as this are caused by flaky DRAM, but a friend of mine
    actually had a bad PPC processor chip causing his woes (!). OSX is very
    intolerant of loose-spec DRAM. Cheap, generic RAM almost always causes
    problems. Stick with sources that guarantee that they meet Apple specs.

    --
    George Graves
    George Guest

  9. #9

    In comp.sys.mac.apps RPS <void> wrote:

    For me, all the Jaguar versions were stable. The differences were fixes to
    problems, but not involving stability. I am using Mac OS X 10.2.8 on three
    different Macs and I can't even remember the last time any of my Macs
    crashed on me and I leave two of them running 24x7.
    stan@temple.edu Guest

  10. #10

    In comp.sys.mac.apps RPS <void> wrote:

    A good rule of thumb with operating system updates is that the latest
    version is usually the most stable and robust. Mac OS X follows that rule
    in my experience.
    stan@temple.edu Guest

  11. #11

    In article <bn23sh$rbf$temple.edu>, edu wrote:

    > For me, all the Jaguar versions were stable. The differences were fixes to
    > problems, but not involving stability. I am using Mac OS X 10.2.8 on three
    > different Macs and I can't even remember the last time any of my Macs
    > crashed on me and I leave two of them running 24x7.[/ref]

    Macs can crash? :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  12. #12

    In article <sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    George Graves <net> wrote:

    I had lots of problems under 10.0. Everything since 10.1 has been solid
    in my experience.

    --
    Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com
    Add to /etc/hosts: 127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com

  13. #13

    21 Oct 2003 02:00:45 GMT, edu suggested:
    : In comp.sys.mac.apps RPS <void> wrote:
    :
    :> Maybe I wasn't clear. I have remained with 10.2.3 not because I
    :> considered it especially stable but because of inertia and that updates
    :> over modem line weren't exactly appealing. Now that Jag development has
    :> stopped, I thought I should get the "best" version and live with it
    :> until I decide to buy a major upgrade such as 10.3 or 10.4.
    :
    : A good rule of thumb with operating system updates is that the latest
    : version is usually the most stable and robust. Mac OS X follows that rule
    : in my experience.

    I have found the updaters to be a little bit glitchy sometimes. It's
    generally best to use the Combo Updaters and make sure that you run
    'repair permissions' in Disk Utility after the update. I also seem to
    remember having to trash some preferences after one update (10.2.5?).

    --
    agreenbu nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
    andrewunix Guest

  14. #14

    Sandman <net> aszonygya:
    :Macs can crash? :)

    Well my Mac has been on 7/24 for 14 years and 0 crashes. It's called Next
    CUBE. /PaulN

    P.S. The monitor, the optical drive, and the original hard disk died along
    time ago though.
    Paul Guest

  15. #15

    In article <bn3vj9$pqo$magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, Paul Nevai
    <ohio-state.edu> wrote:

    I seriously doubt that, unless it has been a static (ie, unchanging)
    system for that entire time. No OS upgrades (there have been some
    stinkers in the last 14 years), never try any new apps (there are
    *always* stinker apps) and don't really do a whole lot with it.
    Perhaps that's the case for you, but I believe you would be the
    exception, not the rule.

    Then it wouldn't be a Mac, now would it?

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  16. #16

    In article <201020031631517601%void>, RPS <void>
    wrote:

    :> Steve W. Jackson <net> wrote:
    :> > RPS <void>
    :>
    :> > :> I have remained with 10.2.3 . What is the most stable Jag version to
    :> > :> upgrade to while waiting for panther to stabilize and get bugs out?
    :> >
    :> > [ advocacy group removed from reply ]
    :> >
    :> > You've obviously got a different definition of stable from a great many
    :> > others, since tons of us went happily along to 10.2.6. So that question
    :> > will be difficult to answer without a detailed understanding of your
    :> > motivations for considering something stable.
    :>
    :> Maybe I wasn't clear. I have remained with 10.2.3 not because I
    :> considered it especially stable but because of inertia and that updates
    :> over modem line weren't exactly appealing. Now that Jag development has
    :> stopped, I thought I should get the "best" version and live with it
    :> until I decide to buy a major upgrade such as 10.3 or 10.4.
    :>
    :> Raghu

    That's different. :-) IMHO, it would be 10.2.6.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  17. #17

    My 1988 Cube, upgraded to a newer 040 NeXTBus board, 4x caddy CDROM in
    place of OD, and full height 1994 HP 2GB mainframe drive has been chugging
    along daily for nearly 15 years.

    It was print server for my OS X machine,
    too, until 10.2.4 killed CUPS lpd compat with the BSD scheduler.
    Ironically, only the Win2K boxes can print to it now. All the modern
    Linux boxen and OS X boxen need local printers or CUPS servers.

    Writing this on Athlon XP 1600 running Mandrake 9.2 however. "Acqua"
    themed KDE, of course. Either that or WindowMaker emulating the true
    interface, WindowManager.app. Almost the speed of the G5 1.6GHz, and only
    $$400. Not quite the cool factor of the cheese grater, however.

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:57:45 +0000, Paul
    Nevai wrote:

    BoulderGeek Guest