Professional Web Applications Themes

Most Versatile Graphics Program? - Mac Applications & Software

Looking for "draw" program (not "paint" program) for use in scientific illustrations. I need to create, import, and export graphics among many formats, including JPEG, EPS, PDF, etc. Also need versatile font manipulation (rotation, use of symbolic math characters). Have tried Illustrator 5.5 (too few graphics formats) and Canvas (too complex). Any suggestions? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Most Versatile Graphics Program?

    Looking for "draw" program (not "paint" program) for use in scientific
    illustrations. I need to create, import, and export graphics among many
    formats, including JPEG, EPS, PDF, etc. Also need versatile font
    manipulation (rotation, use of symbolic math characters). Have tried
    Illustrator 5.5 (too few graphics formats) and Canvas (too complex). Any
    suggestions?
    Thanks

    M Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Most Versatile Graphics Program?

    In article <BB5990DB.6F88%edu>,
    M Fuller <edu> wrote:

    Illustrator 5.5 is over 8 years old. Try Illustrator 10. A demo
    version can often be found on the CDs included with Mac magazines, or
    you can download it from Adobe's web site.
    Wayne Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BB5990DB.6F88%edu>,
    M Fuller <edu> wrote:

    If you want to be able to "program" the creation of your graphics
    (change various numerical and other input parameters and have the
    changed graphic be immediately re-created), plus most of the other
    things you want to do, Mathematica is very powerful and immensely
    capable -- but of course it's also pricey, has a significant learning
    curve, and mouse-interactive it's not.

    Mathematica for the underlying geometrical forms, Illustrator for
    touch-up, could be a powerful combination.
    AES/newspost Guest

  4. #4

    in article 080820032030415161%net, Davoud at net wrote on
    8/8/03 6:30 PM:

    > These are also known as "vector graphics" programs.

    >[/ref]
    Thanks to everyone who responded.
    I like the suggestion of using Mathematica and Illustrator together. I have
    network access to Mathematica but have not used it for graphics.
    Unfortunately Mathematica is tough to master. MatLab is easier to learn (for
    me) and I use it for equation solving. Perhaps it handle graphics
    conversions, too. I realize that Illustrator is now up to version 10, but I
    have not used any version since 5.5 so I don't know how much has been
    changed (I will check out the trial version).

    Is Illustrator 10 the current bench mark for vector graphics?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    M Guest

  5. #5

    In article <BB5EA024.705D%edu>, M Fuller
    <edu> wrote:

    > > These are also known as "vector graphics" programs.
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    > Thanks to everyone who responded.
    > I like the suggestion of using Mathematica and Illustrator together. I have
    > network access to Mathematica but have not used it for graphics.
    > Unfortunately Mathematica is tough to master. MatLab is easier to learn (for
    > me) and I use it for equation solving. Perhaps it handle graphics
    > conversions, too. I realize that Illustrator is now up to version 10, but I
    > have not used any version since 5.5 so I don't know how much has been
    > changed (I will check out the trial version).
    >
    > Is Illustrator 10 the current bench mark for vector graphics?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >[/ref]
    It is pretty much the current "pack leader." Illustrator 10 has evolved
    a LOT since 5.5 and is going to be out in an even newer version (called
    Illustrator CS), according to the various "leak groups" that have been
    posting beta versions, this fall.

    Actually, the current state of Photoshop might even make it a good
    choice. It has Shape layers, where you can create and manipulate vector
    graphics and the Text layers are also vector.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  6. #6

    M Fuller <edu> wrote:

    I'd strongly urge you to try Create (part of the Stone Design suite):
    I have used it under NeXTStep/OpenStep and OS X since about 1993--
    intuitive, strong support for EPS and PDF. I have Illustrator 10
    as well, and vastly prefer Create for its much more intuitive
    interface. I typeset math to EPS with PostScript fonts with LaTeX, drag
    and drop into the Create doent.

    You can try all these for a while free.

    --
    David M. Wood, Dept. of Physics, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 80401
    Phone: (303) 273-3853; Fax: (303) 273-3919