Professional Web Applications Themes

mount_smbfs variable error - FreeBSD

I get the following error when I try to mount_smbfs a LAN file share as root with 5.3-RELEASE and a GENERIC kernel, both cvsup-ed and compiled this past weekend: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: mount_smbfs: Undefined symbol "vfsisloadable" I can't find a whole lot of information about this error. But apparently, "vfsisloadable" is an outdated parameter that should no longer be referenced in the source. The only other reference I found to this error was a kernel that was missing the proper support, but it seemed that a GENERIC kernel would take care of that. Any ideas on how to verify that my system ...

  1. #1

    Default mount_smbfs variable error

    I get the following error when I try to mount_smbfs a LAN file share
    as root with 5.3-RELEASE and a GENERIC kernel, both cvsup-ed and
    compiled this past weekend:
    /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: mount_smbfs: Undefined symbol "vfsisloadable"

    I can't find a whole lot of information about this error. But
    apparently, "vfsisloadable" is an outdated parameter that should no
    longer be referenced in the source.

    The only other reference I found to this error was a kernel that was
    missing the proper support, but it seemed that a GENERIC kernel would
    take care of that.

    Any ideas on how to verify that my system has got whatever mount_smbfs
    may need to operate properly, or how to remedy the error?

    Thank you,
    ~John
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: mount_smbfs variable error

    John DeStefano wrote:

    Did you do a kldstat to see if smbfs.ko is there? It is no longer in
    GENERIC.
    jason Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:39:58 -0500, jason henson <rr.com> wrote:

    > Did you do a kldstat to see if smbfs.ko is there? It is no longer in
    > GENERIC.
    >[/ref]
    Hi Jason,

    I too found that link, which is where I got the idea that
    "vfsisloadable" was an outdated parameter, but I saw that loading the
    smb_fs module generated an error for that user, so I didn't follow up
    on that information.

    I'm glad you pointed this out though, as loading the kernel module
    works for me.

    But without your response, how would I ever have known this? It's
    certainly not mentioned in UPDATING, and the error output was not
    helpful. Where would I have found this information?

    Thanks,
    ~John
    John Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:47:44 -0500, John DeStefano
    <com> wrote:

    > > Did you do a kldstat to see if smbfs.ko is there? It is no longer in
    > > GENERIC.
    > >[/ref]
    > Hi Jason,
    >
    > I too found that link, which is where I got the idea that
    > "vfsisloadable" was an outdated parameter, but I saw that loading the
    > smb_fs module generated an error for that user, so I didn't follow up
    > on that information.
    >
    > I'm glad you pointed this out though, as loading the kernel module
    > works for me.
    >
    > But without your response, how would I ever have known this? It's
    > certainly not mentioned in UPDATING, and the error output was not
    > helpful. Where would I have found this information?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ~John
    >[/ref]

    Could someone please direct me to where I can read about when and why
    the smbfs module was removed from the GENERIC kernel? I can't find
    it, and it's not in UPDATING or the release notes.

    Thanks.
    John Guest

  5. #5

    John DeStefano wrote:

    >>Did you do a kldstat to see if smbfs.ko is there? It is no longer in
    >>GENERIC.
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    >Hi Jason,
    >
    >I too found that link, which is where I got the idea that
    >"vfsisloadable" was an outdated parameter, but I saw that loading the
    >smb_fs module generated an error for that user, so I didn't follow up
    >on that information.
    >
    >I'm glad you pointed this out though, as loading the kernel module
    >works for me.
    >
    >But without your response, how would I ever have known this? It's
    >certainly not mentioned in UPDATING, and the error output was not
    >helpful. Where would I have found this information?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >~John

    I just found it with google by cutting and pasting. I then did some
    reading. I find the archive search at freebsd.org kind of s. You
    could also try google.com/bsd. This was also on the current mailing
    list. I was thinking about submitting something to the doc project
    about stuff I find, but in the past they have emailed me back showing me
    it was already in them(usaully in a faq). So I haven't sent to many new
    items to them. Also in the past I have done a diff between my kernel
    conf and GENERIC to see the changes between updates, but I have learned
    most of it well enough to spot most things now. I also don't build in
    anything I can load.

    I guess you would have never have know with out many hours of poking
    around your system, but thats what these lists are for right? :)

    jason Guest

  6. #6

    John DeStefano wrote:

    >>Hi Jason,
    >>
    >>I too found that link, which is where I got the idea that
    >>"vfsisloadable" was an outdated parameter, but I saw that loading the
    >>smb_fs module generated an error for that user, so I didn't follow up
    >>on that information.
    >>
    >>I'm glad you pointed this out though, as loading the kernel module
    >>works for me.
    >>
    >>But without your response, how would I ever have known this? It's
    >>certainly not mentioned in UPDATING, and the error output was not
    >>helpful. Where would I have found this information?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>~John
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Could someone please direct me to where I can read about when and why
    >the smbfs module was removed from the GENERIC kernel? I can't find
    >it, and it's not in UPDATING or the release notes.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >

    >[/ref]
    My mistake, it was never in GENERIC. Or I can't find were it was.

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
    jason Guest