Professional Web Applications Themes

Movies in Director? - Macromedia Director Basics

Dear experts, i want to show some movies in my director file. The viewers of the cd-rom all play it on windows systems and all dont have quicktime installed. They also dont have admin privileges so i cant promt them to install anything. It doesnt mather wich codec or extension i use, it seems to me you always need Quicktime or an (expensive) Xtra to show people movies and i dont want that. Does anyone know the answer, it doenst mather for me if it would be .avi, .mpg, .wmv or whatsoever as long as people can view it without ...

  1. #1

    Default Movies in Director?

    Dear experts,

    i want to show some movies in my director file.

    The viewers of the cd-rom all play it on windows systems and all dont have quicktime installed. They also dont have admin privileges so i cant promt them to install anything.

    It doesnt mather wich codec or extension i use, it seems to me you always need Quicktime or an (expensive) Xtra to show people movies and i dont want that.

    Does anyone know the answer, it doenst mather for me if it would be .avi, .mpg, .wmv or whatsoever as long as people can view it without them to have Quicktime or whatever.

    Thanks in advanced,

    Frank Op de Woerd
    the Netherlands

    P.S. If i try to import a .avi movie (or link it as an external file) i get prompted to make a choice between Avi and Quicktime, when i choose AVI the program freezes but when i do Quicktime it all works fine but (as i told) i dont want quicktime. Thanks again...

    SchneiderPapier webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Movies in Director?

    I asked that question a couple of days ago.

    do a search for:

    xtras for displaying video without installing quicktime

    it's always worth a search of the archive before you post.

    richie

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:23:11 +0000 (UTC), "SchneiderPapier"
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >Dear experts,
    >
    >i want to show some movies in my director file.
    >
    >The viewers of the cd-rom all play it on windows systems and all dont have quicktime installed. They also dont have admin privileges so i cant promt them to install anything.
    >
    >It doesnt mather wich codec or extension i use, it seems to me you always need Quicktime or an (expensive) Xtra to show people movies and i dont want that.
    >
    >Does anyone know the answer, it doenst mather for me if it would be .avi, .mpg, .wmv or whatsoever as long as people can view it without them to have Quicktime or whatever.
    >
    >Thanks in advanced,
    >
    >Frank Op de Woerd
    >the Netherlands
    >
    >P.S. If i try to import a .avi movie (or link it as an external file) i get prompted to make a choice between Avi and Quicktime, when i choose AVI the program freezes but when i do Quicktime it all works fine but (as i told) i dont want quicktime. Thanks again...

    Richie Bisset Guest

  3. #3

    well i'm no expert but just opening them as AVI instead of quicktime does the trick for me... i dont know why it crashes for you, it doesn't and shouldn't on my pc

    WilcoFiers webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    On 04 Dec 2003, "SchneiderPapier" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > The viewers of the cd-rom all play it on windows systems and all dont
    > have quicktime installed. They also dont have admin privileges so i
    > cant promt them to install anything.
    >
    > It doesnt mather wich codec or extension i use, it seems to me you
    > always need Quicktime or an (expensive) Xtra to show people movies and
    > i dont want that.
    You have just restricted your options to using AVIs that Director can
    support directly. While Macromedia updates the QT Xtra from time to time,
    they still use the ancient Video For Windows technology (as opposed to
    DirectShow) for AVI's - which cannot play most modern codecs. To use VFW,
    you'll need to compress your videos with one of the following codecs:

    None (uncompressed) - I wouldn't do that.
    CinePak
    Intel Indeo 3.2 - NOT 4 or 5 or a Ligos version of Indeo.
    Microsoft RLE - ick!
    Microsoft Video 1 - ick!

    These codecs were designed in the 20th century for the machines in use at
    the time (I used them on 80386 machines!) and, AFAIK, they haven't been
    updated since then.

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)

  5. #5

    Marks options are definetly the best.

    I would add one more.

    You can import videos into Flash since version MX came out. You can create
    SWFs that include video and the import those SWFs into Director MX
    (Director 8.5 does no support flash MX SWFs or flash version 6). No Xtras
    or codecs required . Just import and play. You still need to include your
    normal Flash Xtra. Macromedia has been doing apretty good job at
    incorporating video into Flash. Of course you wont have as many features as
    you would have by using Quicktime compression or the AVI format but
    depending on your project this solution might me more that enought for you.
    Besides you have all Flash Lingo commands to control your flash member.

    Remember you can always visit [url]www.macromedia.com[/url] and look for detailed
    technical information on video for Flash.

    Good Luck!

    Arturo

    "SchneiderPapier" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> escribi en el mensaje
    > Dear experts,
    >
    > i want to show some movies in my director file.
    >
    > The viewers of the cd-rom all play it on windows systems and all dont have
    quicktime installed. They also dont have admin privileges so i cant promt
    them to install anything.

    > It doesnt mather wich codec or extension i use, it seems to me you always
    need Quicktime or an (expensive) Xtra to show people movies and i dont want
    that.

    > Does anyone know the answer, it doenst mather for me if it would be .avi,
    ..mpg, .wmv or whatsoever as long as people can view it without them to have
    Quicktime or whatever.

    > Thanks in advanced,
    >
    > Frank Op de Woerd
    > the Netherlands
    >
    > P.S. If i try to import a .avi movie (or link it as an external file) i
    get prompted to make a choice between Avi and Quicktime, when i choose AVI
    the program freezes but when i do Quicktime it all works fine but (as i
    told) i dont want quicktime. Thanks again...

    Arturo Toledo Guest

  6. #6

    On 04 Dec 2003, "Arturo Toledo" <arturomiltonfrank.tv> wrote:
    > You can import videos into Flash since version MX came out. You can
    > create SWFs that include video and the import those SWFs into
    > Director MX
    Oh man! That's the second time in the same month I forgot to mention Flash
    Video in my initial reply. Thanks for covering it.

    --
    Mark A. Boyd
    Keep-On-Learnin' :)

  7. #7

    Were on the same ship captain!

    hahaha

    Arturo

    "Mark A. Boyd" <mblistsanDotrr.com> escribi en el mensaje
    news:Xns944A77F78CD20mblistssanDotrrcom65.57.83.2 09...
    > On 04 Dec 2003, "Arturo Toledo" <arturomiltonfrank.tv> wrote:
    >
    > > You can import videos into Flash since version MX came out. You can
    > > create SWFs that include video and the import those SWFs into
    > > Director MX
    >
    > Oh man! That's the second time in the same month I forgot to mention Flash
    > Video in my initial reply. Thanks for covering it.
    >

    > --
    > Mark A. Boyd
    > Keep-On-Learnin' :)

    Arturo Toledo Guest