Professional Web Applications Themes

Moving Between Network Connections - Mac Networking

Hi Everyone, Got a complaint/question here. I've got a 1GHz AlBook (10.3.3) with the Airport Extreme and Gigabit ethernet. I use both at home. Mostly the Airport, but when transferring large files I plug into my 10/100 switch with my other comps. On occasion, I will want to transfer a file over the network and I'm not plugged in, so the file starts to transfer, quite slowly, over the wireless. Instead of stopping the transfer, turning off the airport, and plugging in the ethernet (I guess I'm supposed to), I just plug in the ethernet cable. Showing my ignorance perhaps, ...

  1. #1

    Default Moving Between Network Connections

    Hi Everyone,
    Got a complaint/question here. I've got a 1GHz AlBook (10.3.3) with
    the Airport Extreme and Gigabit ethernet. I use both at home. Mostly
    the Airport, but when transferring large files I plug into my 10/100
    switch with my other comps.
    On occasion, I will want to transfer a file over the network and I'm
    not plugged in, so the file starts to transfer, quite slowly, over the
    wireless. Instead of stopping the transfer, turning off the airport,
    and plugging in the ethernet (I guess I'm supposed to), I just plug in
    the ethernet cable. Showing my ignorance perhaps, I would assume OS X
    would bridge the two connections, or something similar, and begin
    transferring data over the ethernet. But it doesn't.
    Beyond this, I stop the transfer and turn off the airport, and now
    OS X tells me I've disconnected from the host (SMB share connection) and
    asks whether I would like to keep trying to connect or disconnect. I
    say OK to keep trying, and I guess it is only trying the Airport where
    it originated, because although the ethernet is working for everything
    else, it won't connect for that host.
    My question is whether this is expected, normal behavior?
    In anticipation of a certain response, my second, slightly more
    irate question is why Apple would not do a better job of being able to
    switch between network connections? If you've got a connection (no
    matter the connection) why not use it?!?
    Just thinking a bit longer here, maybe this is an issue directly
    with the SMB (Samba) protocol. Anybody a Samba guru and know?
    I was just bothered and curious. Thanks for listening and any

    Jason
    Jason Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Moving Between Network Connections

    In article <t_Yjc.4160$news.prodigy.com>,
    Jason Koesters <ng> wrote:

    To avoid having to calculate the best route for every packet, Unix only
    performs this computation when you first open a connection to a host.
    It remembers the chosen path along with the other state for the
    connection. As long as the path is valid, it will continue to be used,
    even if it's not optimal.

    If the path becomes invalid, it's supposed to force a recalculation for
    any connections that use it. I'm not really sure why that's not
    happening in your case.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. #3

    If you make sure that Ethernet is before Airport in the Network Port
    Configuration section of your network preferences, then there will be an
    automatic switch from airport to ethernet when you plug in, and you
    don't need to turn Airport off. It will also automatically switch back
    to Airport when you unplug.

    But existing connections will not be taken from Airport to Ethernet or
    vice-versa. This is almost impossible by design of TCP/IP, as you are
    changing IP address when you change from Airport to ethernet.
    Mats Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks to everyone for their replies thus far. This is kind of long,
    but I think I solved the problem and wanted to let everyone know the
    process in case there is a flaw.

    I think the easiest way to look at this is from Mats Weber. He
    mentioned that when I moved from my Airport over to the ethernet, I was
    using a different IP address. If I already have a connection
    established, the IP address is specific to this. He also mentioned that
    if I have the Ethernet ahead of the Airport in the Network Preferences,
    all new connections would go through the Ethernet. Here in, still lies
    the problem I was having that I could not continue a connection already
    established.

    Barry Margolin mentioned that if you have a web browser open, change
    connection (Airport to Ethernet, etc.) the web browser will pickup the
    change and start working with the new connection. This was good, except
    Pete Verdon mentioned that a browser is only connected to web server for
    the short time that it is downloading a page. This means, there is a
    disconnection everytime the web page is downloaded completely and a
    reconnection for each new page accessed. (Neglecting streaming media,
    cookies, or anything else that maintains a connection.)

    This led me to thinking, so I decided to try setting both the Airport
    and the Ethernet to the same IP. This had never occurred to me, because
    in Windows, this can cause big problems. I did this and hopped over to
    www.starwars.com and began downloading one of the trailers as a
    streaming Quicktime movie. I was able to cross back and forth between
    the Airport and the Ethernet with little problems. Going from the
    Ethernet to the Airport seemed to take a bit to get running again, but
    it worked.

    If this worked, then why not my Samba connection? I gave it a go and
    voila! It works. If I am transferring something over the Airport and
    plugin my Ethernet cable, it picks right up and transfer is as fast as
    the Ethernet connection normally. I'm guessing this stems from it being
    higher in the Network Prefs order. I'm also guessing it is only the
    Ethernet transferring at this point, not both.

    At any rate, it works the other way too, going from the Ethernet to the
    Airport. I do figure this might have some ramifications at some point,
    but I hope not and it doesn't seem to in the small settings I am looking
    at. If this is the way it is meant to work, then I retract my previous
    judgements and once again, kudos the OS X programmers!

    Any more thoughts (including the possible bad ones of my new "shared IP"
    setup) are more than welcome.

    Thanks again,
    Jason
    Jason Guest

  5. #5

    In article <Ebbkc.2768$news.prodigy.com>,
    Jason Koesters <ng> wrote:

    Jason, I have been running fixed IP addresses for all my home systems
    for several years (since before Mac OS X), including giving the same IP
    address to the Airport and Ethernet configurations. And while I do not
    normally switch between Airport and Ethernet at home, I do it every once
    in awhile for the same reasons you did it.

    I have never had a problem with this setup, and while my memory is not
    what it used to be, I do seem to recall being pleasantly surprised when
    a huge transfer I was doing started to fly when I plugged into the
    10/100baseT hub. So "Rock On, Dude".

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    Bob Harris wrote:
     [/ref]

    Cookies don't maintain a connection - a cookie is a short piece of text set
    by means of a header line in an HTTP message, and that's all there is to
    it. I have just handed in my Computer Science 3rd Year Project involving a
    lot of this kind of stuff. But yeah, basically that's right. When nothing
    is being downloaded, no connection is open. When you next click on a link a
    new one is opened, and if a new network has appeared since the last
    connection why not use it?
     [/ref]

    I'm surprised it works, but since it does, kudos the OSX people indeed.
    Don't forget that TCP/IP was designed in the late 60s for computers that
    ran whole departments, and whose network addresses did not change from one
    decade to the next.

    Pete
    Pete Guest

  7. #7

    Jason Koesters <ng> wrote:

    When I tried using the same IP address for Ethernet and AirPort, I found
    that traffic would frequently split between the two ports, with outbound
    traffic going via one and inbound via the other -- not what is wanted. I
    have also found that, at least on my 2002 PowerBook, traffic doesn't
    switch over to the preferred Ethernet port on waking if the cable is
    plugged in while the Book is asleep. Otherwise, preferred port switching
    generally works well.

    Neill Guest

  8. #8

    Entity Mats Weber spoke thus:

    That has never worked for me.
    In 10.3.2 I had to turn off one airport card to force the beast to connect
    over ethernet.
    Now, in 10.3.3 I must shut off BOTH airport cards and relogin to connect
    from the other machine. Of course, Internet sharing is a pipe dream under
    these conditions...
    Oddly enough, Rendezvous works inasmuch as I see the other machine on both.
    But when I attempt to send myself a message it appears on the same dasktop.
    Strange.

    I'm just hoping the next update fixes all these agonies.

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest