Professional Web Applications Themes

moving data with imbedded <CR> or <LF> - IBM DB2

I have run into an interesting problem. We have generated data that contains bit data stored in a 16 byte character field. This last week I was moving a database to a new server and realised that this bit data can contain <CR> or <LF> characters within it. This caused the load program all kinds of problems, since it saw the data as two records. This was true in both delimited format or IXF format. I was able to get most of the data moved, but I had a number of records that I could not move. Has anybody run ...

  1. #1

    Default moving data with imbedded <CR> or <LF>

    I have run into an interesting problem. We have generated data that
    contains bit data stored in a 16 byte character field. This last week
    I was moving a database to a new server and realised that this bit
    data can contain <CR> or <LF> characters within it. This caused the
    load program all kinds of problems, since it saw the data as two
    records. This was true in both delimited format or IXF format. I was
    able to get most of the data moved, but I had a number of records that
    I could not move.

    Has anybody run into a similar issue and how did you get around it?

    Jack
    Jack Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: moving data with imbedded <CR> or <LF>

    Jack wrote:
    > I have run into an interesting problem. We have generated data that
    > contains bit data stored in a 16 byte character field. This last week
    > I was moving a database to a new server and realised that this bit
    > data can contain <CR> or <LF> characters within it. This caused the
    > load program all kinds of problems, since it saw the data as two
    > records. This was true in both delimited format or IXF format. I was
    > able to get most of the data moved, but I had a number of records that
    > I could not move.
    IXF should not have this problem. With DEL format, you need to use the
    option "modified by delprioritychar"

    [url]http://www.newsfeeds.com[/url] - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    Ian Guest

  3. #3

    Is the column correctly defined as FOR BIT DATA? If not, conversion will
    occur.

    "Jack" <jbakermarketron.com> wrote in message
    news:13f72d37.0309170536.66dd21baposting.google.c om...
    > I have run into an interesting problem. We have generated data that
    > contains bit data stored in a 16 byte character field. This last week
    > I was moving a database to a new server and realised that this bit
    > data can contain <CR> or <LF> characters within it. This caused the
    > load program all kinds of problems, since it saw the data as two
    > records. This was true in both delimited format or IXF format. I was
    > able to get most of the data moved, but I had a number of records that
    > I could not move.
    >
    > Has anybody run into a similar issue and how did you get around it?
    >
    > Jack

    Mark Yudkin Guest

  4. #4

    If nothing else works, one technique I've used in this sort of situation is
    to run conversion code across the data. I.e.

    1. Run something to convert all CR and LFs to some other characters. x01 and
    x02 for example.

    2. Dump the data of what ever you want to do with it.

    3. Run another convertor on the newly stored data to replace the x01 and
    x02s with CF and LFs again.

    Its a bit longer and messy with convertor programs etc. But they aren't
    usually hard to write and sometimes it's easy to camoflage whats causing
    the problem rather than trying to find alternative software to handle it.

    cio
    Derek.

    Derek Clarkson Guest