Professional Web Applications Themes

Moving DW web sites to a new computer - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Ah geez, I just wrote this message and I think I lost it just as I was ready to upload it. I just bought a new computer and I need to move DW and all my web sites to it. I installed DW onto th new one, but I am hoping that there is one file somewhere that contains all of the site info. (Most likely the file that opens when I click "Open Site.") I don't want to go through setting each and every one of my websites as a new site if I don't have to. I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Moving DW web sites to a new computer

    Ah geez, I just wrote this message and I think I lost it just as I was ready to upload it.

    I just bought a new computer and I need to move DW and all my web sites to it. I installed DW onto th new one, but I am hoping that there is one file somewhere that contains all of the site info. (Most likely the file that opens when I click "Open Site.") I don't want to go through setting each and every one of my websites as a new site if I don't have to. I have moved the web sites to the new computer and put them on the second hard drive while the application is on the first HD, if that makes a difference.

    Thanks!

    4salukis webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Moving DW web sites to a new computer

    I had a similar issue at work and I could not figure it out. I had to redo all the site maps. There was soething interesting that happened the other day though. An IT person here did something to my PC that changed my profile and it deleted my site maps in DW. DW was never even touched. I think it may be something in the registry. I wish I could help you!

    aRiggio75 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yep -that's it. The registry. When your IT drone changed your profile,
    they disabled your access to the identity under which these keys are saved.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "aRiggio75" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I had a similar issue at work and I could not figure it out. I had to
    redo all the site maps. There was soething interesting that happened the
    other day though. An IT person here did something to my PC that changed my
    profile and it deleted my site maps in DW. DW was never even touched. I
    think it may be something in the registry. I wish I could help you!

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    I thank everyone for trying to help, but I needed the files, so I just reentered all the info. Only took about an hour of looking up stuff. I thought I never was going to find one of the passwords. That is both the good and the bad thing about DW keeping track of them..but making them unreadable. Perhaps I have become too dependent on DW.

    Anyway, as far as I am conceerned, this question is answered since I sincerely hope I am not moving again any time soon. However, we seem to have wound up with two questions under the same heading, so I won't click the "This question has been answered" box so that the other discussion may go on. When that person is answered, then perhaps they can click it. (Or am I the only one who can mark it closed?)

    4salukis webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    There is an extension on the exchange that lets you export your settings for
    backup purposes. The feature is built into DMX,

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    "4salukis" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I thank everyone for trying to help, but I needed the files, so I just
    reentered all the info. Only took about an hour of looking up stuff. I
    thought I never was going to find one of the passwords. That is both the
    good and the bad thing about DW keeping track of them..but making them
    unreadable. Perhaps I have become too dependent on DW.

    > Anyway, as far as I am conceerned, this question is answered since I
    sincerely hope I am not moving again any time soon. However, we seem to have
    wound up with two questions under the same heading, so I won't click the
    "This question has been answered" box so that the other discussion may go
    on. When that person is answered, then perhaps they can click it. (Or am I
    the only one who can mark it closed?)

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest