Professional Web Applications Themes

moving files, pseudo-classes, <br> not <p> etc - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hello there, I'm just about to embark on a "Contributed" website as the administrator and have a few questions: 1) can you have pseudo-class selectors in your .css? All my efforts have come to nothing e.g. if i have the following a:link { color:#000000; font-weight : normal; text-decoration: underline; } a:visited { color:#333333;font-weight : normal;text-decoration: underline; } etc a:link.yellow { color:#CC9900; font-weight : bold; text-decoration: none; } a:visited.yellow { color:#CC9900;font-weight : bold;text-decoration: none; } etc I only get the default link styles and the <a class="yellow"> is not an option in my pulldown style menu 2) Is there an easy ...

  1. #1

    Default moving files, pseudo-classes, <br> not <p> etc

    Hello there,

    I'm just about to embark on a "Contributed" website as the administrator and
    have a few questions:

    1) can you have pseudo-class selectors in your .css? All my efforts have come
    to nothing
    e.g. if i have the following

    a:link { color:#000000; font-weight : normal; text-decoration: underline; }
    a:visited { color:#333333;font-weight : normal;text-decoration: underline; }
    etc

    a:link.yellow { color:#CC9900; font-weight : bold; text-decoration: none; }
    a:visited.yellow { color:#CC9900;font-weight : bold;text-decoration: none; }
    etc

    I only get the default link styles and the <a class="yellow"> is not an option
    in my pulldown style menu

    2) Is there an easy way to move a file in C3? The only way I can find to do it
    is to make a copy of an existing file, save it in a new folder and then go and
    delete the old file.. then manually re-link to the new file. I'm thinking here
    about how Users can easily archive old pages that they still want people to
    access.

    3)Rather than the <p> using inline styles to make content go down only 1 line,
    is there an option to use <br>?

    And having read a few forums can someone just verify the following:

    4) C3 has no facility to auto-update links (as DW does)

    5) Links can never be relative to teh site root?

    Many thanks

    trixienolix Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: moving files, pseudo-classes, <br> not <p> etc

    Hi, I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.
    >>1) can you have pseudo-class selectors in your .css?
    Yes you can. It may not understand some CSS3 selectors, but pseudo classes
    aren't nothing it can't handle.

    If you aren't seeing your styles go into the Admin panel, and go to the
    "Users and Roles" option. Clcik the "Edit role settings...." button, a dialogue
    box will popup. Go to the "Styles and fonts" option. And make sure "Show CSS
    styles in the style menu" is checked.

    After this has been done, or if its checked click "OK" then "Close".
    >>All my efforts have come to nothing e.g. if i have the following
    a:link { color:#000000; font-weight : normal; text-decoration: underline; }
    a:visited { color:#333333;font-weight : normal;text-decoration: underline; }
    etc

    a:link.yellow { color:#CC9900; font-weight : bold; text-decoration: none; }
    a:visited.yellow { color:#CC9900;font-weight : bold;text-decoration: none; }
    etc
    >>I only get the default link styles and the <a class="yellow"> is not an
    option in my pulldown style menu

    Do you want the users to be applying this "yellow" class to links? or will it
    only be used on the template?
    >>2) Is there an easy way to move a file in C3? The only way I can find to do
    it is to make a copy of an existing file, save it in a new folder and then go
    and delete the old file.. then manually re-link to the new file. I'm thinking
    here about how Users can easily archive old pages that they still want people
    to access.

    This is the only way. True, you as the administrator will have FTP or mapped
    drive access to edit/delete/move files but your the administrator, everything
    will be a little easier for you. Its better this way, so that users can't mess
    anything up. If you want to give your users extra training as far as being
    able to move the files from a mapped drive its up to you, but that goes outside
    the scope of Contribute and any extra security you set in place will have to be
    outside Contribute's protective walls, sorta speak.
    >>3)Rather than the <p> using inline styles to make content go down only 1
    line, is there an option to use <br>?

    I know, I hate this default setting as well. There is an option to use regular
    correct for literal paragraphs.

    "two lines" paragraph break option is slected. Click "OK" and then "Close".
    >>And having read a few forums can someone just verify the following:
    4) C3 has no facility to auto-update links (as DW does)

    No, it does not. It's Contribute, not Dreamweaver. They wanted to keep
    Contribute as simple as possible. Having a feature like that also creates the
    risk for them creating hundreds of broken links on your site. Any advanced user
    would be able to fix this easily, but a non-technical user (a content
    contributer) wouldn't know how to fix it.
    >>5) Links can never be relative to teh site root?
    Yes they can. But this is something you will have to train users to make sure
    of. By default when you use the "browse to web page" or "upload file from my
    computer" option of inserting a link, it'll make a relative path. It shows two
    URL bars. The one on the top will be where the file will exist on the site, and
    the lower one will be what the literal path inside the "href" attribute is. The
    lower value they should alter if its not absolute. (I believe there is also a
    select box which gives them the option.)

    For example, If my file is: [url]http://www.cssdreams.com/contribute/is/cool.html[/url]

    Then th URL could be: "/contribute/is/cool.html" or "cool.html" and either
    way, it'd be correct. But (unless the file already has a few absolute links in
    it) Contribute will usually have a relative link chosen by default. So th user
    would need to know to change "cool.html" into "/contribute/is/cool.html" or
    whatever the path to your root is.

    The advantage here is that it'll greatly reduce the chances of their being
    broken links if a file is moved. But it's still a good idea to run broken link
    scans regularly just the same.
    >>Many thanks
    No problem.

    mzanime.com Guest