Professional Web Applications Themes

Moving Illustrator & Photoshop programs to new computer. - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have AI 9 which I upgrade from versions 4, 7 and 8 and Photoshop 6 (upgraded from Photoshop L.E.) on present computer. I plan to purchase a new system that will run WINN XP and put my present Adobe programs on that system. Can I install AI 9 directly to the new computer or if not how far back do I need to go in previous versions? I am assuming I must install Photoshop L.E. and then upgrade that also to get Photoshop 6 on my new computer? It's been a while since I installed these programs, so don't ...

  1. #1

    Default Moving Illustrator & Photoshop programs to new computer.

    I have AI 9 which I upgrade from versions 4, 7 and 8 and Photoshop 6 (upgraded from Photoshop L.E.) on present computer. I plan to purchase a new system that will run WINN XP and put my present Adobe programs on that system. Can I install AI 9 directly to the new computer or if not how far back do I need to go in previous versions?
    I am assuming I must install Photoshop L.E. and then upgrade that also to get Photoshop 6 on my new computer?
    It's been a while since I installed these programs, so don't remember the details, does anyone know?

    Thanks

    BeAnn
    BeAnn@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I believe that you have 2 options. The first I would consider if you are capable would be to transfer your old drive to the new computer and make it a slave drive. Then you would not have to worry about transfering any files at all, and all your programs will work as before (with the exeption of Windows, which will not run when you set the old drive up as a slave drive, which should be fine since the new computer and hard drive are running all this). Otherwise, you will have to reinstall the programs using the original CD. I am not sure if you need to even install the older versions first to install from the upgrade disc. As far as I know, that is more a marketing thing to reward old customers with a discount for continued patronage. I think I remember fresh installing from one of these so called upgrade disc once when I bought a new computer. This may be the best option, though, as the new computer more than likely has a faster hard drive than your old one, and a clean install can only help performance.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi BeAnn,

    You can install Illustrator 9 from your upgrade CD without having a previous version of Illustrator installed. If I remember correctly, during the installation process it give you a couple different options for confirming that you own a previous version of Illustrator. I think one of those options is to insert the Illustrator 8 CD. It confirms that the CD is valid, spits it out and you continue your installation.

    Lance
    Lance_K@adobeforums.com Guest