Professional Web Applications Themes

moving mail to imap - Debian

Hey all.. I use mozilla mail for my email.. and (at the moment) I have about 15,000 emails in my "Local Folders".. they are all in folders/subfolders/sub-subfolders etc.. and arranged to my liking.. I have another server running imap.. can I just move all my existing mail to that server? I've tried *dragging* my mail folders to the imap connection but it does work.. so I'm presuming it's not that simple (is anything???) so am stuck Can someone give me a few pointers on how I can achieve this? Cheers Kel -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject ...

  1. #1

    Default moving mail to imap

    Hey all..

    I use mozilla mail for my email.. and (at the moment) I have about
    15,000 emails in my "Local Folders".. they are all in
    folders/subfolders/sub-subfolders etc.. and arranged to my liking..

    I have another server running imap.. can I just move all my existing
    mail to that server?

    I've tried *dragging* my mail folders to the imap connection but it does
    work.. so I'm presuming it's not that simple (is anything???) so am stuck

    Can someone give me a few pointers on how I can achieve this?

    Cheers

    Kel

    Craig Tinson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: moving mail to imap

    Craig Tinson wrote:
    > Hey all..
    >
    > I use mozilla mail for my email.. and (at the moment) I have about
    > 15,000 emails in my "Local Folders".. they are all in
    > folders/subfolders/sub-subfolders etc.. and arranged to my liking..
    >
    > I have another server running imap.. can I just move all my existing
    > mail to that server?
    >
    > I've tried *dragging* my mail folders to the imap connection but it does
    > work.. so I'm presuming it's not that simple (is anything???) so am stuck
    >
    > Can someone give me a few pointers on how I can achieve this?
    Try to mark all mails in a folder and drag them to the new IMAP folder.

    Cheers,
    Juri

    Juri Haberland Guest

  3. #3

    Does imap support folders/sub-folders/sub-sub-folder setups?

    I've tried making a folder under the imap connection.. but then it
    doesn't let me create a sub-folder under the newly created folder.. is
    that right?

    Cheers

    Kel

    Juri Haberland wrote:
    >Craig Tinson wrote:
    >

    >>Hey all..
    >>
    >>I use mozilla mail for my email.. and (at the moment) I have about
    >>15,000 emails in my "Local Folders".. they are all in
    >>folders/subfolders/sub-subfolders etc.. and arranged to my liking..
    >>
    >>I have another server running imap.. can I just move all my existing
    >>mail to that server?
    >>
    >>I've tried *dragging* my mail folders to the imap connection but it does
    >>work.. so I'm presuming it's not that simple (is anything???) so am stuck
    >>
    >>Can someone give me a few pointers on how I can achieve this?
    >>

    >Try to mark all mails in a folder and drag them to the new IMAP folder.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Juri

    Craig Tinson Guest

  4. #4

    Craig Tinson wrote:
    > Does imap support folders/sub-folders/sub-sub-folder setups?
    >
    > I've tried making a folder under the imap connection.. but then it
    > doesn't let me create a sub-folder under the newly created folder.. is
    > that right?
    That depends on the IMAP server. Some do, some don't. What kind of IMAP
    server do you use?

    Cheers,
    Juri

    Juri Haberland Guest

  5. #5

    It's the standard imapd server that comes with RH9.. (one of our other
    servers).. I'm not sure which version it is.. maybe courier?

    Cheers

    Craig

  6. #6

    Craig Tinson wrote:
    > ok.. will look into the version that is running (I didn't realise didn't
    > imap servers varied so radically) .. and upgrade to courier if I need to...
    >
    > which comes to another question... is courier (then) the current
    > standard (ie *best*) ?
    It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
    is quite hard to istall and to configure.
    In most cases Courier is enough and scales well (I know someone running
    ~8000 Users with Courier).
    Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
    an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.
    UW-IMAP (the one you're currently using) stores it's mail in a plain mbox
    file. It is slow, doesn't scale and eats lot of memory if you have
    mailboxes > 50 MB (actually it seems to load it completely into memory).
    So having 10 users each with a mailbox size of 100MB (quite common) means
    you need 1000MB RAM - or a lot of SWAP space...

    Cheers,
    Juri

    Juri Haberland Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Craig Tinson Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 12:07, Craig Tinson wrote:
    > Does imap support folders/sub-folders/sub-sub-folder setups?
    >
    > I've tried making a folder under the imap connection.. but then it
    > doesn't let me create a sub-folder under the newly created folder.. is
    > that right?
    No that is wrong. Courier-Imap (and ssl) support that.

    Typically though, you need to do folder by folder copies. It s, but
    automagical folder creation isn;t something done yet... I don't believe
    many IMAP servers support that. I know Novell's GropeWise doesn't, most
    other's either... I believe it's a limitation of the imap protocol...
    (those better in the know correct me please if that is the case).

    But not being able to make subfolder upon subfolders is wrong...

    And what, is the IMAP server on MicroShizzle Windoze?
    --
    greg, [email]greggregfolkert.net[/email]
    REMEMBER ED CURRY! [url]http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry[/url]

    Greg Folkert Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:18:51PM +0100, Craig Tinson wrote:
    > Hey all..
    >
    > I use mozilla mail for my email.. and (at the moment) I have about
    > 15,000 emails in my "Local Folders".. they are all in
    > folders/subfolders/sub-subfolders etc.. and arranged to my liking..
    In mozilla I think you have to go in mail and news accounts, click on
    server settings for the particular IMAP account, click on the advanced
    button and check the box that says: "Server supports folders that
    contain sub-folders and messages".

    You may be using uw-imapd. uw-imapd stores mail in mbox files. It does
    support subfolders in subfolders but in a very weird way.

    When creating a folder you can either make it a "real folder" which
    means that it creates a directory, or you can make a "mail folder" which
    means that it creates an mbox file. A "real folder" can contain other
    "real folders" and other "mail foders" but can't contain messages
    directly. On the other hand a "mail folder" can only contain messages.
    Mozilla is one of the only mail clients I have found that allows you to
    choose which kind of folder you want to create.

    Other imap servers store their mail in maildir format and avoid this
    problem entirely.

    I use uw-imapd because I have about 2 users to worry about (several
    Gigabytes of mail but only 2 users). If you have more than say 10 users
    and they have substantial amount of mail then you should consider using
    some other imap server.

    Bijan

    Bijan Soleymani Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:13:21PM +0200, Juri Haberland wrote:

    > It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
    > is quite hard to istall and to configure.
    I have cyrus server running for personal use, and I am by no means an
    admin. One of the bigger differences between running Cyrus and other
    servers is that Cyrus authentication doesn't require a user to have a
    shell account on the server.

    My biggest hurdle was understanding how to configure the authentication
    to the server. Other than that, installation was a breeze. I use
    squirrelmail for webmail, and a plugin is available that lets users
    change their passwords, which is really handy.
    > In most cases Courier is enough and scales well (I know someone running
    > ~8000 Users with Courier).
    I have heard a lot of good things about Courier.
    > Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
    > an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.
    This is true, but not necessarily evil. I moved my email folders from
    one machine to another, and the instructions were simple.

    Then again, there is only one user on my setup.

    -Andy

    Andy Saxena Guest

  11. #11

    Andy Saxena wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:13:21PM +0200, Juri Haberland wrote:
    >>
    >> It is said that the server with the most features is Cyrus-IMAPd, which
    >> is quite hard to istall and to configure.
    >
    > I have cyrus server running for personal use, and I am by no means an
    > admin. One of the bigger differences between running Cyrus and other
    > servers is that Cyrus authentication doesn't require a user to have a
    > shell account on the server.
    You can have that with Courier, too. Courier can authenticate against a
    DB (e.g. MySQL) or against LDAP or it can use its own database files.
    >> Cyrus stores it's mails in a cryptic database format whereas Courier uses
    >> an enhanced version of Qmail's Maildir concept.
    >
    > This is true, but not necessarily evil. I moved my email folders from
    > one machine to another, and the instructions were simple.
    But having every mail as a single file makes backup and user support
    easy. And don't forget the possebility to just run grep over your Maildir
    to search for something specific.

    Cheers,
    Juri

    Juri Haberland Guest