Professional Web Applications Themes

moving the mirrordisk to boot - Sun Solaris

Hello, I've heard the strangest thing, someone told me that when they could not boot their E450 they took out the mirror disk and put in in place of the "currupt" bootdisk, and then tried tot boot, which failed. Now someone told them this would work, but i've never heard of it. Not thinking about the correct way, this does not make sense does it? They now want me to check the mirror configuration because they think something is wrong with it. gr,...

  1. #1

    Default moving the mirrordisk to boot

    Hello,

    I've heard the strangest thing, someone told me that when they could
    not boot their E450 they took out the mirror disk and put in in place
    of the "currupt" bootdisk, and then tried tot boot, which failed.
    Now someone told them this would work, but i've never heard of it.

    Not thinking about the correct way, this does not make sense does it?
    They now want me to check the mirror configuration because they think
    something is wrong with it.

    gr,

    Klaas Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: moving the mirrordisk to boot

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:55:25 -0700, "george" <com>
    wrote:

    Agree, but they fysically replaced the bootdisk with the mirrordisk
    and told me that some said it would work.

    As far as i know all they could have to do was a boot mirror, replaced
    the faulted bootdrive and go.

    Started reading :)

    Klaas Guest

  3. #3

    Klaas Talsma <nl> wrote:

    What is meant here by "mirror disk"? Is it maintained by ODS/SDS/LVM or
    the equivalent VxVM, or is it some sort of related dd/fmthard/ufsdump
    script based mirror?

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  4. #4

    It does sound like there is someting wrong with the config. The primary and
    secondary boot devices should be set up in nvram so that it will first of
    all try to boot off the primary boot disk and , if this fails it will try
    the second one. There is excellent doenation on disksuite on
    docs.sun.com . I'm assuming the server is using Disksuite and not Veritas
    Volume manager.
    George

    george Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Klaas Talsma wrote:

    Moving the mirror to the boot-device place might work if you run DiskSuite
    and it set up right, i.e same kind of device, metadbs in place and all
    that, but if the root-disk failed, that will be noted in the mirror metadb
    and when it boots it migth get a bit confused.

    Better to move it back and boot the alternate device, then replace the
    rootdisk and resync.

    i.e. use it as it should be used.

    /JOhan A

    Mr. Guest

  6. #6

    figured as much, the client (it wasn't me) just switched disks and
    booted without setting up the devices etc..
    They want me the check the configuration because they think something
    is wrong with the mirror.

    thanks
    Klaas Guest