Professional Web Applications Themes

Moving up from FrontPage - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi everyone I am moving up!! from FrontPage and hope to have Dreamweaver 4 up and working within the next couple of days and was wondering if it is going to be a bit of a culture shock. I have been using FrontPage for a year or so and have developed quite a few sites with little problems except for the dreaded extensions. I would be grateful if anyone could give me any help with starting as it seems a bit more indepth than FrontPage. Many thanks in advance Tonyee...

  1. #1

    Default Moving up from FrontPage

    Hi everyone
    I am moving up!! from FrontPage and hope to have Dreamweaver 4 up and working within the next couple of days and was wondering if it is going to be a bit of a culture shock.
    I have been using FrontPage for a year or so and have developed quite a few sites with little problems except for the dreaded extensions.
    I would be grateful if anyone could give me any help with starting as it seems a bit more indepth than FrontPage.

    Many thanks in advance

    Tonyee

    rambo111 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Moving up from FrontPage

    rambo:

    Yes - it will likely be culture shock, depending on how you used FP. I
    recommend that you get a good book on DW and spend a weekend with it first,
    and I really like Dreamweaver MX: The Missing Manual, by Dave McFarland
    (O'Reilly publishers).

    DW does not have shared borders like FP does, but it uses Templates and
    Library Items to do many of the same things, and much more.

    DW does not have proprietary server code like FP does (the FP extensions),
    so building things like form processors and guest books and Calendars is a
    bit more manually intensive and will require that you actually understand
    how these things work as opposed to the fully smoke-and-mirrors approach of
    FP. Some find this glare of reality to be difficult.

    Although DW will allow you grab and drag table/cell borders like FP does,
    this is a very counter productive way to work. You would be well advised to
    spend an hour learning about HTML tables and how to work with them (the DW
    FAQ link in my sig is a good place to start, for this and many other DW
    things, as well as the projectseven link). When you understand how tables
    work, you will never drag a border again, and your tables will have no cell
    widths or heights as a result, and they will be granite on the page rather
    than an exploding train wreck.

    DW's footprint in the site folders themselves is nearly zero. There are a
    few proprietary folders and files that are added (notes, Templates and
    Library) but nothing at all like the flotsam and jetsam that FP litters your
    sites with.

    FP uses http protocols to up- and download files, which allows it to work
    LIVE on the site. DMX uses FTP protocols to up- and download files and so
    it cannot edit LIVE files. This means that you always need a local and a
    remote site definition for each site you create.

    Other than these differences, I think you're going to like it here!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "rambo111" <com> wrote in message
    working within the next couple of days and was wondering if it is going to
    be a bit of a culture shock.
    few sites with little problems except for the dreaded extensions.
    seems a bit more indepth than FrontPage.

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the info
    I will take a look at the books you mentioned. I have just installed the software which is Dreamweaver MX complete with all the add ons like fireworks etc.
    I will have a little play with it over the weekend so hopefully will be able to start some sort of sight next week.

    Thanks again for the info. I will be in touch..................

    Tony
    rambo111 Guest

  4. #4

    I just spent over a week moving from FrontPage to Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (Windows) and am regretting that I did so. I had no problem learning DW; the problem is to get it to work with a large web site without running out of memory (I have 512 MB installed). BTW, one does not have to put server extensions on a server to use FrontPage. I never use the things they do anyway. Finally, FrontPage 2003 is a major upgrade. It includes templates and improvements in publishing (one can remove all comments, special markup, etc. and synchronize). I have the Beta. I am not a Microsoft (or Macromedia) advocate. More info at http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/Software/fp/fpvsdw.htm. Larry

    lbyard Guest

  5. #5

    I just spent over a week moving from FrontPage to Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (Windows) and am regretting that I did so. I had no problem learning DW; the problem is to get it to work with a large web site without running out of memory (I have 512 MB installed). BTW, one does not have to put server extensions on a server to use FrontPage. I never use the things they do anyway. Finally, FrontPage 2003 is a major upgrade. It includes templates and improvements in publishing (one can remove all comments, special markup, etc. and synchronize). I have the Beta. I am not a Microsoft (or Macromedia) advocate. More info at http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Reviews/Software/fp/fpvsdw.htm. Larry

    Though I hate Microsoft, I'm really excited about the idea of using Dreamweaver and FrontPage. I also agree that Dreamweaver doesn't seem to have much "guts;" it apparently uses a lot of memory, for example.

    However, you can create and modify a site in Dreamweaver, then open a page from that site in FrontPage do do the grunt work. It seems to work quite well, and I haven't had any problems so far.

    FrontPage 2000 was a FABULOUS improvement over the previous version, and I'd like to check out FP 2003. But it's still Microsoft, and for that reason alone I could never truly endorse FrontPage. But it makes a great training wheel when used with Dreamweaver!

    http://www.geobop.com/, GeoBearATgeobop.com (Replace AT with )
    Interests: Web Design, Linux &amp; Political Reform
    GeoBear Guest

  6. #6

    I have had the beta of Frontpage 2003 since March. It is a major upgrade (probably the most significant upgrade that I've seen in seven years). For example, it has templates. If it supported php/MySQL, I would have never bought Dreamweaver. I was thinking of combining both because of the Dreamweaver memory problem and may give it try. However, when I converted to Dreamweaver I got rid of the Frontpage extensions on the server and have no intention of restoring them and their _vti directories, etc. or revisting the file permisson problems they can cause with the php/MySQL programs on my web site. Larry

    lbyard Guest

  7. #7

    middletree:

    After reading Larry's post, I am now uncertain. It seems conceivable that
    they may have been required for up- and downloading.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "middletree" <com> wrote in message
    the
    > > extensions being discontinued. Does that mean FrontPage 2003 doesn't[/ref][/ref]
    need

    > > FrontPage never REQUIRED server extensions. It is entirely possible to[/ref]
    > use [/ref]
    FP2003 [/ref]
    them. [/ref]
    GET
    > > (Windows) and am regretting that I did so. I had no problem learning[/ref][/ref]
    DW; [/ref]
    out [/ref]
    server
    > templates
    > markup,
    > > extensions being discontinued. Does that mean FrontPage 2003 doesn't[/ref][/ref]
    need

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  8. #8

    FP server extension ARE required if the built in upload/download is used.
    If another FTP agent is used, they are not needed except for certain things
    like FP hit counters, forms, etc.

    mickey

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message
    > the [/ref]
    static [/ref]
    > need [/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref][/ref]
    server-side [/ref]
    > FP2003 [/ref]
    > them. [/ref]
    > GET [/ref]
    > DW; [/ref]
    > out [/ref]
    > server [/ref][/ref]
    do
    > > templates
    > > markup, [/ref]
    > need
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    mickey Guest

  9. #9

    We used to be able to have FP98 publish using the FTP protocol with no FP
    extensions on the local machine or the server so I can say for a fact the FP
    extensions are not required to publish, don't ask me how to set it up though
    as it's been years since we use the thing :)

    --
    Kevin Marshall
    WebXeL.com Ltd

    ASP.NET Dreamweaver Extensions